Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times

Advertisements

Well here in Australia we have Fathers day. Another ploy by the major retailers who are not satisfied with Christmas and Easter as reasons to buy stuff you don't need. Fathers day of course sponsored by big hardware stores.

Last night (Saturday night) we had a big fireworks display called "River Fire" in the centre of Brisbane. many tens of thousands of people went. My 14yo and a friend of hers were given special permission to go by themselves. The rest of our family watched it on TV complete with three fly pasts of F1-11 jet fighters doing a fuel dump burn which is very spectacular as the jets have a huge yellow flame out the back. The younger ones went to bed and eventually I received a text from my daughter advising they were on the train and about 15 minutes from our station.

I drove to the station to pick them up. I was OK with the girls going to the fireworks on their own. As I see being in a big crowd as being pretty safe but two scantily clad 14y.o. girls walking home from the station at 10pm on balance did seem a bit risky.

Sunday morning (Fathers day) and my wife is making breakfast. Bacon and eggs. Yum. The younger kids arrive bearing gifts of chocolate. Ah they know my vices. The two 14yo's are still sleeping. I go and wake them and they arrive bleary eyed for a breakfast.

Then we all wandered off to church which was actually pretty ordinary (read boring). Which was a bit disappointing because the other 14yo was not a church kid and it would have been better if the service had been a bit more interesting. On way home after church dropped other girl home.

Its now raining. The kids are playing quietly. I have a few minutes on my own.
If only parenting was always this easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
In USA we have fathers day, mothers, day, grandparents, day, valentines day, teacher day and on it goes. I refuse to get sucked into any of that retail driven stuff but encourage my kids to make home made cards anyday they feel like expressing sentiment.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Glad you had such a wonderful day. Every year my Aussie friends send me calendars from OZ. By looking at the holidays listed I'd say you have more than we do here in the states. We don't have your bank holidays, Boxing Day and a few others.

I think too that people give more lavish gifts here in the U.S. Which is not necessarily a good thing as it's just another thing to put on the charge card. Fireworks are on the 4th of July here. Fly-overs we do: 4th of July, World Series baseball games, Super Bowl, Rose Parade. A lot of national events open with a fly-over of jets. (And we have a saying here for all the noise: "That's the sound of freedom!")

Happy Father's Day one more time!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,690,775 times
Sounds like the perfect weekend. Makes you appreciate what you have in family and home.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Sounds like the perfect weekend. Makes you appreciate what you have in family and home.
Absolutely. Thanks to everyone. Just thought it would be nice to have a positive story here as of course most threads are dealing with problems or concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting