Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
That movies cracked me up!
finally someone knows what I'm talking about! That family was hilarious. I wonder if the unschoolers and cosleepers here used strollers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:51 PM

90 posts, read 219,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
finally someone knows what I'm talking about! That family was hilarious. I wonder if the unschoolers and cosleepers here used strollers
I did not see the movie...I should rent it. Maybe then I will be able to better understand your attitude.

My daughter co-slept and she did not ride in a stroller. She hated it. It was physically uncomfortable for her.

My family co-slept out of necessity. My daughter was inconsolable if she was not held. I followed my instincts and nurtured her needs the best way I could. I never thought I would co-sleep....ewwwwwww, but circumstances dictated otherwise.

Later, we found out she had a serious undiagnosed medical issue. She was in pain for a good portion of her infancy.

I am so grateful that I followed her lead and did not listen to those who insisted I was "spoiling" her by holding her a lot and sleeping with her.

As a matter of fact, her doctors were amazed at her progress and attitude (happy and content) given her medical condition. They asked me to counsel other parents and give them parenting tips. I told them it was quite simple...I listened to her cues and made her feel secure. If she needed me, I was there. Unfortunately, she was unable to verbalize what was wrong, but she certainly made it clear in other ways.

I am thrilled that I researched co-sleeping. If I based my decision on ignorance it may have cause further suffering for my child. In research, I found it to be commonplace throughout the world, including the US. There is no shame in it, even if most won't admit it upfront.

Co-sleeping, for me, was the opposite of laziness. It required much more dedication and energy than if I left my daughter to her own devices. If her situation was different, and she happily slept in a crib, I would have been fine with it. I am neither for or against co-sleeping, but for us it was a Godsend.

Right or wrong parenting philosophies are a matter of opinion. A child who is nurtured, loved, and mentored will grow into a prosperous adult. I applaud anyone who is invested in their children. I see far too many people dump their kids off on strangers, extracurricular activities, electronic devices, etc in order to avoid their parental responsibilities.

You can make fun of people all you want. But you should refrain from judgment of people who are trying to do what is best for their family. You do not know the situations of others, you do not know their motives, and you do not know the feelings of their children.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:53 PM

556 posts, read 798,148 times
Quote:
WHAT?! And just PUSH their babies away?!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
If co sleeping was so great, it would be the latest trend in child rearing,
Actually, it is a trend...in the past 15 years or so, it has gained a lot of popularity. Especially with working mothers. Research is your friend.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
LMAO! Thanks for the laugh!

It just occurred to me. I don't like co-sleeping with anyone.

I don't even like co-sleeping with my husband! He hogs the bed and snores!

Not only would I prefer my own bed, I'd prefer my own bedroom!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 PM

556 posts, read 798,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces07 View Post
I did not see the movie...I should rent it. Maybe then I will be able to better understand your attitude.

My daughter co-slept and she did not ride in a stroller. She hated it. It was physically uncomfortable for her.

My family co-slept out of necessity. My daughter was inconsolable if she was not held. I followed my instincts and nurtured her needs the best way I could. I never thought I would co-sleep....ewwwwwww, but circumstances dictated otherwise.

Later, we found out she had a serious undiagnosed medical issue. She was in pain for a good portion of her infancy.

I am so grateful that I followed her lead and did not listen to those who insisted I was "spoiling" her by holding her a lot and sleeping with her.

As a matter of fact, her doctors were amazed at her progress and attitude (happy and content) given her medical condition. They asked me to counsel other parents and give them parenting tips. I told them it was quite simple...I listened to her cues and made her feel secure. If she needed me, I was there. Unfortunately, she was unable to verbalize what was wrong, but she certainly made it clear in other ways.

I am thrilled that I researched co-sleeping. If I based my decision on ignorance it may have cause further suffering for my child. In research, I found it to be commonplace throughout the world, including the US. There is no shame in it, even if most won't admit it upfront.

Co-sleeping, for me, was the opposite of laziness. It required much more dedication and energy than if I left my daughter to her own devices. If her situation was different, and she happily slept in a crib, I would have been fine with it. I am neither for or against co-sleeping, but for us it was a Godsend.

Right or wrong parenting philosophies are a matter of opinion. A child who is nurtured, loved, and mentored will grow into a prosperous adult. I applaud anyone who is invested in their children. I see far too many people dump their kids off on strangers, extracurricular activities, electronic devices, etc in order to avoid their parental responsibilities.

You can make fun of people all you want. But you should refrain from judgment of people who are trying to do what is best for their family. You do not know the situations of others, you do not know their motives, and you do not know the feelings of their children.

When someone posts on the introweb and ASKS FOR OPINIONS everyone has the right to give their opinion. If it seems judgemental, well, tough noogies. The opinions were asked for.

AND, children can be raised wonderfully and still not end up prosperous. Some even grow up to be junkies

Old 09-06-2010, 05:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Toonces007, I don't think anyone finds fault with someone choosing to have their infant child sleep in the family bed. The problem is with the particular original poster of this thread, and her choices to:

1) encourage and allow a non-infant child, past even her toddler years, sleep with the parents with no encouragement to stay in her own room.

2) have sex in the "family bed" while the "family" is in bed with them.

3) use the TV as the primary method of lulling the children to sleep.

What part of this is healthy for children?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
When someone posts on the introweb and ASKS FOR OPINIONS everyone has the right to give their opinion. If it seems judgemental, well, tough noogies. The opinions were asked for.

AND, children can be raised wonderfully and still not end up prosperous. Some even grow up to be junkies
Opinions are fine....we all have them.

Judgments, on the other hand, are best left to our Creator.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:03 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
This thread is so interesting to me. I had my own room from the day I came home from the hospital. And I didn't really know this until recently when I was watching Teen Mom with my mom and the baby slept in the room with the mom. My mom told me she never kept the crib in the room with her. As far as I know I have never heard of anyone doing this ever! I was kind of shocked!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Toonces007, I don't think anyone finds fault with someone choosing to have their infant child sleep in the family bed. The problem is with the particular original poster of this thread, and her choices to:

2) have sex in the "family bed" while the "family" is in bed with them.
I don't agree with the tv issue- I don't think it is healthy, but I don't see it as a big deal either.

What I have a problem with is sex in the bed with other family members present. That is so wrong on every level possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting