Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times

Advertisements

I think playing cops and robbers at school or anywhere is NOT an appropriate game for children to play.

I was stunned one day while watching a little boy and girl about 7 years old playing cops and bad guy and how they mimiced cops and bad guys at that age. When childrens playing is geared towards violence.. to me that is alarming.. And we wonder where all these violent adults come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, but not in school. We played those games in the neighborhood.

Um, not sure where you went to school, but we also played at school too- called recess- before we had "monitors" breathing down our necks ruining every little bit of fun you could have

Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I think playing cops and robbers at school or anywhere is NOT an appropriate game for children to play.

I was stunned one day while watching a little boy and girl about 7 years old playing cops and bad guy and how they mimiced cops and bad guys at that age. When childrens playing is geared towards violence.. to me that is alarming.. And we wonder where all these violent adults come from?
Yeah- how dare those kids learn and act out that their our consequences for bad behavior They should stick to playing marbles or jacks instead

Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannyty View Post
When kids at school playing games like cops and robbers in which knocking and sit on each other, what should the Teacher to do?
to let them play or stop them?

thanks it's Important
Play which involves knocking other kids down or sitting on them isn't allowed at our schools. The teacher or yard monitor would be required to stop children taking part in that type play.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
It is terrible to think some kids would like to grow up to be police or military. The horrors!

Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM

556 posts, read 798,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
It is terrible to think some kids would like to grow up to be police or military. The horrors!

I know!

I worry now that my son is in a public school. Considering he's grown up on a military base with a Marine father he is very into "good guy bad guy" play. He do "bang bang with his finger gun etc. I'm just waiting for him to get expelled for bringing a weapon to school....his finger gun

Old 09-06-2010, 06:06 PM

This is part of the problem why so many kids are "diagnosed" ADD or ADHD. It is because they are not allowed to actually play anymore to get out all of their energy. Kids can rough play a bit without harming each other or even having the INTENTION to harm each other. All this crap started when schools had to start doing away with fun games like dodgeball, tag, and any other sport where someone would have to get picked last (oh boo hoo)

Oh, and kel6604- you better not let your kid even say bang band.. he may get detention, recommend to go to therapy sessions and be labeled "that kid" for the rest of the year...lol

Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Me and my friends still play rough and we are 24! Just yesterday we where in a tickle fight that turned into wrestling which turned into me hitting my head on the door jam. I literally laughed for 15 minutes about it and so did my friend after she saw that I was fine. Ya know why? Because I fell down ALOT as a kid. I still have little scars on my knees and elbows from falling down. I am also not afraid of little cut and I almost always have a bruise somewhere on my body (anemic). My roommate in college once went to the hospital because she cut herself shaving. No joke.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
This is part of the problem why so many kids are "diagnosed" ADD or ADHD. It is because they are not allowed to actually play anymore to get out all of their energy. Kids can rough play a bit without harming each other or even having the INTENTION to harm each other. All this crap started when schools had to start doing away with fun games like dodgeball, tag, and any other sport where someone would have to get picked last (oh boo hoo)

Oh, and kel6604- you better not let your kid even say bang band.. he may get detention, recommend to go to therapy sessions and be labeled "that kid" for the rest of the year...lol
Yes Yes Yes.
So true!

Now they get medicated.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Um, not sure where you went to school, but we also played at school too- called recess- before we had "monitors" breathing down our necks ruining every little bit of fun you could have
We played on the play equipment or played soccer or tag football on the playground, not games where kids were being sat on. All in fun, those games can be ok, but school playgrounds are simply not the place for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting