Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,960 times

Advertisements

cops and robbers was a fun game-but now it can be offensive to some kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,226,159 times
It is great to see that there are parents who are OK with their kids playing unsupervised.

I wish that there was a way where the teachers could let that happen with out the fear of spending the rest of their life defending themselves in a law suit.

We need our politicians to put some laws in place that restore the balance.

The problem seems to be that often if the little dear gets ascratch, mom or dad go looking for someone to blame.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,803,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
It is great to see that there are parents who are OK with their kids playing unsupervised.

I wish that there was a way where the teachers could let that happen with out the fear of spending the rest of their life defending themselves in a law suit.

The problem seems to be that often if the little dear gets ascratch, mom or dad go looking for someone to blame.
I feel bad for the teachers too

My kids had a lot of the same teachers I did. In honest, quiet moments they would admit how they didn't even enjoy teaching much anymore because it was so over regulated. This was just at the beginning of the not my kid, ADHD movement, I can't imagine what it is like now.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,073,697 times
Quote:

So this is going on in Australia too? Here I thought it was just the U.S. that had gone all wimpy.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,226,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So this is going on in Australia too? Here I thought it was just the U.S. that had gone all wimpy.
Here at many schools, when the kids get to school in the morning they have to sit. Get that sit. Then they get maybe 15 minutes to walk around before class. Not allowed on the playing fields before school at all!. Then the teachers wonder why the kids muck up in class. err too much energy.
Rediculus.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,592,093 times
there is a difference between playing like that and people going crazy. I had to stop a fight today where three kids pinned down another kid and were throwing pea gravel at him.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,417,189 times
Quote:
No. That is the problem. We have far too many laws in place. We have become a nanny state where people can't just live their lives anymore.

And nana053- "We played on the play equipment or played soccer or tag football on the playground, not games where kids were being sat on. All in fun, those games can be ok, but school playgrounds are simply not the place for them."

Um, the school playground (and park, and outside at home) is the EXACT place where those games should be played. Kids USED to have fun, and used to be not so over weight and "hyperactive". It is ok for kids to goof off and have fun, which sometimes may mean sitting on someone, or playfully shoving, or even chasing someone. Heck, I remember when we used to play a game called buttball which equated to us laying on our backs with an even amount of players on each team. Each person would put legs up in air while a HUGE ball (dodgeball type but 3-4X the size) was whacked through the playing field with players legs- those were fun times being hit, and hitting, people in the face and legs with said ball.

Oh, and slap jack! Fun times...

Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,417,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
there is a difference between playing like that and people going crazy. I had to stop a fight today where three kids pinned down another kid and were throwing pea gravel at him.
We are talking about playing.. what you are describing is bullying and isn't even close to what this topic is about "PLAY" fighting

Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,061,996 times
The sad fact is I have several girls in my Girl Scout Troop that if they were to come home and tell the parents they played Cops and Robbers and the Cops were doing or saying anything practically the parents would be ALL OVER the school. Yes, over a game of cops and robbers.

Law Enforcement isn't a favorable thing around where I live. When I invited the female Sheriffs Deputy to come speak about LEO's job opportunities in our area was one of our worst attendance meetings. Not only did the PARENTS not come, the girls couldn't either. It was right up there with when we had the drug dog come visit. I had NO adults. I had a Judge come speak to the girls and there were some parents, some girls but almost all of them knew her by being in front of her or someone that had been in her court. It is amazing.

Some places have just taken out recess altogether. It stinks. No wonder kids are messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting