Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Reading at what level? First graders are mostly sounding out words, but not reading for content. Reading for understanding starts in 2nd or 3rd grade in US schools.

Note that in Germany and many other countries with high literacy, kids are NOT pushed into reading until they are 7 to 9 years old.

If you talk to adults, the age when they learned to read cannot be distinguished. Children can be both gifted and learning disabled. Kids who read late or who read at the average age may be gifted. Sometimes early readers have hyperlexia.
Wow, I am amazed but this bit of information. My son was sounding out words in kindergarten and reading for understanding by the end of 1st grade, as was the majority of his class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Wow, I am amazed but this bit of information. My son was sounding out words in kindergarten and reading for understanding by the end of 1st grade, as was the majority of his class.
I think that is the norm. It is around here for sure.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Just so I have this straight...if I were an unschooled child and had a deep interest in a wooden spoon, my whole life for a year could be learning about a wooden spoon?

Never mind history, algebra, geometry, english, biology etc....I could just hang out with the spoon all day and call it an education?

...and if I'm 10 and reading hasn't "clicked" yet how am I supposed to teach myself about wooden spoons?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post

Here as well.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
...and if I'm 10 and reading hasn't "clicked" yet how am I supposed to teach myself about wooden spoons?
If you are 10 and not reading yet, you have a disability or some severely lacking parenting.

You are not going to teach yourself about a wooden spoon. Your mother/teacher is going to teach you about the wooden spoon because that is all you are curious about. No need for you to learn anything more than you asked for.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
If you are 10 and not reading yet, you have a disability or some severely lacking parenting.

You are not going to teach yourself about a wooden spoon. Your mother/teacher is going to teach you about the wooden spoon because that is all you are curious about. No need for you to learn anything more than you asked for.

You got my scarcasm right? Many of the people on this forum who feel that kids are pushed to read too early are also those that feel that kids should learn for theselves and not be taught in a traditional manner. How are kids supposed to teach themselves anything if they can't read?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
You got my scarcasm right? Many of the people on this forum who feel that kids are pushed to read too early are also those that feel that kids should learn for theselves and not be taught in a traditional manner. How are kids supposed to teach themselves anything if they can't read?
Yes, I did that is why I gave the sarcasm back

I am with you. I can't possibly comprehend a world where a 10 year old and his best friend the wooden spoon is called learning.

I also don't want to live in a world where these kids who were kept in a bubble end up working anywhere I do.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did that is why I gave the sarcasm back

I am with you. I can't possibly comprehend a world where a 10 year old and his best friend the wooden spoon is called learning.

I also don't want to live in a world where these kids who were kept in a bubble end up working anywhere I do.
Ok -Thought so LOL!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Just so I have this straight...if I were an unschooled child and had a deep interest in a wooden spoon, my whole life for a year could be learning about a wooden spoon?

Never mind history, algebra, geometry, english, biology etc....I could just hang out with the spoon all day and call it an education?
That is absurd. Do you know anyone who is only interested in wooden spoons? My kids never stop asking a million and one questions about hundreds of topics. I'm assuming your kids did the same, even before they went to school? It's the same thing, only on a much larger scale.

As I said, I used to think it was weird and uncomfortable, too. I know a lot of unschoolers, and their kids are delightful and smart and know a lot about a lot of things. When you're not forced to memorize things for the sake of a grade, you are free to pursue your interests. I don't know anyone who is only interested in one inanimate object, child or adult.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
That is absurd. Do you know anyone who is only interested in wooden spoons? My kids never stop asking a million and one questions about hundreds of topics. I'm assuming your kids did the same, even before they went to school? It's the same thing, only on a much larger scale.

As I said, I used to think it was weird and uncomfortable, too. I know a lot of unschoolers, and their kids are delightful and smart and know a lot about a lot of things. When you're not forced to memorize things for the sake of a grade, you are free to pursue your interests. I don't know anyone who is only interested in one inanimate object, child or adult.
Of course I don't know anyone who likes wooden spoons only. I also know that there is no way in the world I would have wanted to learn algebra. I'm also smart enough to know that I use what I was forced to learn in algebra every day of my life, whether I realize it or not.

So answer me this. Yes my kids asked a million questions. Yes I answered them to the best of my ability. My older one was beyond obsessed with animals and dinosaurs, I have read and learned more than I ever care to on any subject but I fed his love of it. That is called parenting, not "unschooling" Because he also went to school and learned other things, things necessary to life, that is a bad thing???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting