Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

I don't think I would want to have a nurse that couldn't "memorize" symptoms and body parts. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I don't think I would want to have a nurse that couldn't "memorize" symptoms and body parts. But that's just me.
The point was that it is important to "know" stuff such as anatomy, but it's more important to truly understand concepts such as physiology, pharmacology, etc. Memorizing that stuff without any understanding is dangerous.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't know where you got that from, but it's mandatory curriculum here in Connecticut. I just checked the Dept. of Education's website for elementary school; both physical sciences and social sciences are required for all *elementary school* grades.

I do remember when I was in High School, we had to complete "x" credits between grades 10-graduation, with a minimum of one course in each year, but not in each semester. So I loaded up on human psychology, history, chemistry, and electronics in grades 10 and 11, so in my last year I only had to take one class of the sciences. The entire rest of my senior year was all writing, literature, grammar, one math class (computer programming: BASIC), and gym.

I imagine the requirements aren't that much different now, though they've probably lowered the standards.
First, I'm not in Connecticut. Second, I get it from many parents with kids in public schools and public school teachers. These people have experiences in different school districts, and the consensus is the same. California and Connecticut have very different education in most situations.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Rote memorization is the cornerstone of education in the US. Ask anyone preparing for any of the 100+ standardized tests we use to measure intelligence, fitness for college, worthiness for a medical/nursing license. and they will tell you. You can do VERY well on standardized tests without a grasp of the subject matter.
And that is EXACTLY why I think our current system produces so many people who don't know how to think.

Yes. There are many things you need to memorize. But just because someone can recite the Gettysburg Address it doesn't equate that the speaker knows anything at all about the events of 1863.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The point was that it is important to "know" stuff such as anatomy, but it's more important to truly understand concepts such as physiology, pharmacology, etc. Memorizing that stuff without any understanding is dangerous.
No I totally get what you where saying.I was trying to say I would be more concerned if I had a nurse who didn't attend school or take any tests.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
No I totally get what you where saying.I was trying to say I would be more concerned if I had a nurse who didn't attend school or take any tests.
A Holiday Inn nurse?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A Holiday Inn nurse?
A Naughty Nurse

Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
The point of unschooling isn't necessarily anti-classes or anti-test. Typically, if someone wants to specialize in something, taking classes is absolutely appropriate. Unschoolers are willing to do what it takes to reach a goal. The goal of being a nurse requires licensure, classes & tests. But an unschooler will be open to exploring options - i.e., I want to be a nurse, but don't want to go through enrolling in school right now. OK, so what do I really want to do? Help people experiencing health problems? There are many other ways to do that. Meet a cute doctor? Many ways to do that. If the goal really is to be a nurse, they will happily do what needs to be done to get there.

One doesn't need 12 years of classes & tests to prepare for classes & tests they might need to achieve a goal.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
That term is pretty offensive.
I think my post may have been misinterpreted...my fault and I apologize. I forget the internet is different sometimes and tone and intent can't be read.

That term was coined by a blogger/chick lit author I enjoy for a good laugh. These are the kids who have been kept in a bubble, everybody gets a ribbon and trophy, the world is full of puppies and rainbows, etc...They have a sense of entitlement and can't comprehend a life that doesn't reveolve around their every whim. That was all I meant when referencing the post I quoted.

I sincerely hope it wasn't read as I was criticizing any child with any kind of challenge or disability because I most certainly wasn't, but I can see how it could be read that way. I apologize to anyone who may have read it that way and was offended.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The term was coined a lot earlier than the advent of the internet. My mom was a Kindergarten teacher in the 1960's, 70's, and 80's. She used that term all the time to explain why Johnny got to win the prize for "this" event, while Susie could only get the prize for winning "that" event. It was because they were all special snowflakes and, just like snowflakes, each one was unique, and each one was terrific at certain things and not so terrific at other things.

I think anyone who takes offense at the term, needs to step away from the internet and realize that people really ARE all "special snowflakes."

I didn't get the joke when I saw it, I assume it was making fun of parents talking down to their kids and kids eating it up like it was candy. I giggled because THAT was amusing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting