Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Taking this out of the cosleeping thread as the two issues are being unfairly conflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Could not disagree more! Walking and talking are 2 natural things. Things that do not need to be taught but are needed for survival. Math, reading, history, philosophy etc. are all things that need to be taught.

I'm going to go there....the cosleeping at these kids ages is weird and creepy and lazy enough. Now let's add that they some times have sex in the bed when they are "lazy". NOW add in the fact that those kids aren't exposed to normal people and are being unschooled , my GOD! How is it even legal to "raise" kids like that in 2010?!
You are conflating two issues.

Unschooling and cosleeping don't necessarily go together and cosleeping parents don't usually cosleep with children older than 5 or 6.

Someone asked about the unschooling which was why I posted the video.

As for math and reading, they are truly best learned hands on and most children actually learn them naturally just as they learn to walk and talk *if* they are exposed to hands on activities.

I learned to read before I went to school and so did my grandchildren. They are not *brilliant* either.

Math is learned when you cook, when you make things, when you actually get your hands dirty. Kids don't have to be schooled to learn them.

History and philosophy will also be learned from going places and from reading once a child learns to read. If you read Lies My Teacher Told Me, you will see that history as taught in school is actually not the best way to learn. As for philosophy, there are many different schools of philosophy and most of them are NOT taught until you get to college.

Unschooled and homeschooled kids often take college classes that happen to interest them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I think regular homeschooling is strange enough. This unschooling thing just takes the cake. People can raise their kids however they want, but we live in a society where the norm is going to school with other kids, and sitting in a classroom with kids your age, and learning some of the skills and knowledge we need to become productive adult citizens and relate to other people.Kids need to know how to relate to other people. I don't see how they will ever relate to anyone when they haven't had the same normal childhood experiences as 99% of the people in this country.

I learned to measure with a measuring cup and a ruler, too, but I learned algebra at school! It is laughable to think you can compare the two.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I think regular homeschooling is strange enough. This unschooling thing just takes the cake. People can raise their kids however they want, but we live in a society where the norm is going to school with other kids, and sitting in a classroom with kids your age, and learning some of the skills and knowledge we need to become productive adult citizens and relate to other people.Kids need to know how to relate to other people. I don't see how they will ever relate to anyone when they haven't had the same normal childhood experiences as 99% of the people in this country.

I learned to measure with a measuring cup and a ruler, too, but I learned algebra at school! It is laughable to think you can compare the two.
I'm not sure I understand how sitting in a classroom with 30 kids of the same age does a better job of preparing children for the real world then that of homeschoolers and unschoolers who have much more free time to go out and participate in the real world by going to parks, libraries, museums, farms, rec centers, etc. and interacting with people of all ages.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
I moved this from the other thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Unschooled and homeschooled kids often take college classes that happen to interest them.
I'm curious - how do colleges view the unschooled? Not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand and wondering how that works.

For example, my son wants to go into Aerospace Engineering. The Engineering school he wants to get into has a lot of requirements that have to have been hit in high school to even be considered for getting in.

If an unschooled child, let's say at 17 or so, decides/discovers that that interests him/her, what happens then?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm curious - how do colleges view the unschooled? Not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand and wondering how that works.

For example, my son wants to go into Aerospace Engineering. The Engineering school he wants to get into has a lot of requirements that have to have been hit in high school to even be considered for getting in.

If an unschooled child, let's say at 17 or so, decides/discovers that that interests him/her, what happens then?
Colleges view unschoolers the same way that they view homeschoolers. The vast majority of colleges accept homeschoolers. If a unschooled child wanted to become an aerospace engineer then they could take classes at the local community college in order to meet the necessary requirements to get into the school of their choice.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post

Believe it or not, I know kids who learned algebra on their own too *when* they needed it. In fact, I know lots of kids who didn't learn algebra in school despite the fact that they took classes in it. I had a few of them in my geometry classes.

When parents expose kids to things, they learn. If they need specialized knowledge that the parents don't have and are unable to teach, they seek out people who do know or go get books and puzzle things out.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Colleges view unschoolers the same way that they view homeschoolers. The vast majority of colleges accept homeschoolers. If a unschooled child wanted to become an aerospace engineer then they could take classes at the local community college in order to meet the necessary requirements to get into the school of their choice.

But .... wouldn't that be...schooling?? At some point, to learn certain things, people need to be schooled. A person is not going to just "discover" enough based on nothing but inherent curiosity function much past basic survival. At some point, they need to go to school if they want to work at something that requires advanced knowledge.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But .... wouldn't that be...schooling?? At some point, to learn certain things, people need to be schooled. A person is not going to just "discover" enough based on nothing but inherent curiosity function. At some point, they need to go to school.
Maybe but not until college (or possibly high school, but then unschoolers or home schoolers often take college classes at high school age or take classes online that interest them).

Dorothy

Old 09-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But .... wouldn't that be...schooling?? At some point, to learn certain things, people need to be schooled. A person is not going to just "discover" enough based on nothing but inherent curiosity function. At some point, they need to go to school.
Unschooling is choosing one's own path and that very well might mean attending classes in an area of interest. They may find that knowledge from reading, tinkering, movies, games or by seeking out experts or experience through apprenticeships or through signing up for classes. It doesn't mean that the child will never ever go to school it's just a more self directed way to learn based on one's interests.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:54 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I moved this from the other thread.....

Many schools are offering classes to help people with the transistion. But most schools are having to now do remidial math for things like engineering because the modern child is far behind what they were 20 years ago. Remember your placement in college is from testing...so an unschooled child who say scores very high on math....with get into of skip classes he doesn't need. When i went i passed calculus. in hs but did so poorly on the test that i had to re do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting