Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It's not that we TRY to analyze you. It's that your posts are like lightning rods for people to say duh! They always seem to be about something preventable or something common sense. It's not about you buying shirts for your kids. It is about that COMBINED with talking about your financial strain and inquiring about the school lunch program. Why does that not make sense to you? It's not about having a lot of Christmas decorations, it's about the fact that you ask US if you should sell them. You need money? sell them! you are one big ball of contradiction. you complain that your kids are out of control, but you don't seem to do anything to control them. I could go on, but I won't.
Heh sure you will. This is a sport (or maybe it's an art?). Some people are the entertainers, and others are the commentators. We fit into whichever niche suits us best, from one moment to the next.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
He doesn't "choose" when he eats breakfast, he either eats what's offered him when its offered (which is here at home) or he waits until lunch.
???? I thought the problem was he wasn't waiting until lunch! He was buying breakfast. What am I missing here?

This is so easy to solve and I think everyone mentioned it in the last thread..... close the lunch account. Problem solved.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
So if you can "run a tab" and your son does this, why was your daughter's lunch thrown away when she didn't have enough?

I agree with the "my stomach isnt awake yet" thing. I often feel sick if I eat before i leave for work. I usually munch on something around 10 then take lunch around 1.

36,499 posts, read 53,926,720 times
could be that ds is more into the social part of eating breakfast at school. Maybe his buddies eat then and he wants to fit in. Whatever the reason he must learn he cannot keep using the account endlessly. I say cancel the account all together, give kids cash, tell them when it is gone, it is gone, lock up my purse and let the kid learn responsibility.

I also have to add my teenaged son almost ate us out of house and home. We couldn't figure out where the food was going. Did he have a hollow leg? Boys can really put it away. Maybe you need to take a good look at his diet and daily calorie requirements instead of saying each kid should have equal amt of money to spend on lunch.

556 posts, read 797,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
???? I thought the problem was he wasn't waiting until lunch! He was buying breakfast. What am I missing here?

This is so easy to solve and I think everyone mentioned it in the last thread..... close the lunch account. Problem solved.

Woah....woah....WOAH!!!!! WHO is trying to SOLVE a problem here? Surly NOT the OP!

:dubi ous:: dubious::sma ck:

Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
So if you can "run a tab" and your son does this, why was your daughter's lunch thrown away when she didn't have enough?

I agree with the "my stomach isnt awake yet" thing. I often feel sick if I eat before i leave for work. I usually munch on something around 10 then take lunch around 1.
The boy is old enough to have learned where the plastic ziplock bags are, and where the box of cereal is. I'm guessing he's old enough to have figured out by now how to pour one into the other, and possibly even clever enough to have figured out which one gets poured, and which receives the pouring.

There is no excuses that can explain this insanity, except - insanity.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
I don't even plan to discuss the issue with him
Why not?

I can't believe we're still talking about this. You have an irresponsible child. You want to blame the school. Blame him. Talk to him about it. Close the account. Give your daughter cash.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The boy is old enough to have learned where the plastic ziplock bags are, and where the box of cereal is. I'm guessing he's old enough to have figured out by now how to pour one into the other, and possibly even clever enough to have figured out which one gets poured, and which receives the pouring.
Yeah exactly. I am a little strapped for funds so I cut up my own strawberries on the days I have class. I usually eat them with everyone else however most girls buy theirs and they are like $4 for a little pack at the Deli. I also bring my own drinks so I don't have to spend $2 on bottled water each time. Tap water is free, literally for me since water is included in my rent!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Boys can really put it away. Maybe you need to take a good look at his diet and daily calorie requirements instead of saying each kid should have equal amt of money to spend on lunch.
They sure can! But she says they are really financially in a bind. School lunches are expensive for the small amount you get. Best scenario is that he takes his own lunch. Better yet, he makes it himself so he is sure to pack enough.

If he was having to spend his own money, I guarantee you he wouldn't be spending willy nilly like that.

The other day my son told me he bought a chicken sandwich in the cafeteria because he was still hungry after eating his lunch (that he packs himself). He said he would never do that again because it was almost $3. Know how I know he'll never do that again and pack a bigger lunch? It was his own money. He works and was carrying some cash that he hadn't deposited....

Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,836,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We had a terrible incident a year ago, where dd account was negative because they dipped into it for ds. she got to the checkout line, they threw her tray away in front of her, then gave her a stale cheese sandwich and a glass of water. Just how did that benefit the school? Its not like the money was put back in their account.

Problem is, the school will run a tab, they've done that before, also, so does Pams. Poor little child, we can't let him go hungry. But they could throw away my daughter's tray in front of her, to #ell with her, but poor little ds is so abused, no lunch money, oh dear me!
I am very confused by the above....if your daughter received the cheese sandwich and water tray it is because she has already gone into the red. Lunch accounts usually only let a student go into the red by $5.00...then it's cheese sandwiches until the acct is settled.

A student is not allowed to just run up a tab with no limit.

For petes sake...save yourself the trouble and pack your kids a healthy lunch. It costs less per day, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.