Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,988,344 times

Advertisements

I followed that transgender thread to the ABC website and ended up watching a SWAT team blow up a toy pony instead. An AD played before the video for an arthritis medication.

It did its usual drug commercial thing and listed the side effects, may lower your immune system, make you susceptible to TB, could cause cancer in adults and children, it'll make you grow a tail and give you the clap....

So I'm wondering...how many kids are on medications for something they have and wtf are these medications doing?

I remember when I was 12/13 I was on celebrex after a car accident, I was so drugged up I couldn't go to school for like two months, I was in an out of the ER with back and neck pain from the wreck and numerous times was in the ER for my migraines for about 1 1/2 years afterwards.

Later to find out celebrex is bad for you.

I had the joy of bringing in my birthday with a migraine literally Aug 24th got a migraine, took a hot shower, went to bed and woke up at 3am on my birthday feeling like I was going to die.
Anyways, the ER gave me reglan/d? and I later googled it and found it can cause tartive diskiensia...ok then...

I am all for medication making me better. I am all for getting a shot to make the pain go away instantly, I am a wimp, I can't handle my migraines. I am actually in so much pain with my migraines I can't put together a coherent thought but I don't want something that could cause tartive diskenisea injected into my arm.

But you know one day little susie's gonna wake up after taking her medicine the night before with a tail and mind reading powers...jk

Do you ever worry about what is prescribed to your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,702,712 times
Absolutely. We NEVER take meds for anything unless it's absolutely necessary and it is short lived. The only thing we have in our house is Tylenol, Motrin, vitamins, and my daughter's inhaler for asthma that she takes only when she really needs it.

She was on an antibiotic for 10 days for an infection that developed weeks after her wisdom teeth were extracted, but that has been the only other drug that have been in our house for years.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM

758 posts, read 1,875,317 times
My DD is probably on the medication you saw the ad for. She has RA since she was 22 mos old. Yes I worry about the medications she is on but I worry more about not controlling it and having her joints damaged beyond repair and being in constant pain.

Taking the medications as they are prescribed and following the Drs orders pertaining to followup blood work reduces some of the risks involved.

Concerning the potential for increased cancer risks with these particular meds, more research shows that because of the increased inflammation in people with moderate to severe RA, that they in general are at an increased risk for certain types of cancer and not really due to the drugs. I guess we'll see as more research is done.

Celebrex like all drugs is not for everyone, it is still on the market. DD was on that a while back to supplement the other meds, she never had a problem with it.

She also has thyroid disease (not related to the RA) so she has meds for that.

Needless to say with all of that going on we rarely ever take anything for headaches, colds, or that sort of thing.

Actually very soon we may be able to say was on that RA medication. She has been doing so well this past year that we have begun to wean her off of that particular med.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Absolutely. We NEVER take meds for anything unless it's absolutely necessary and it is short lived. The only thing we have in our house is Tylenol, Motrin, vitamins, and my daughter's inhaler for asthma that she takes only when she really needs it.

She was on an antibiotic for 10 days for an infection that developed weeks after her wisdom teeth were extracted, but that has been the only other drug that have been in our house for years.
The trickest thing is being given them in the ER.
You really don't have time to find out anything about them.

Like the reglan they gave me.
It hurt going into my arm and my it hurt into my shoulder, I got this weird taste in my mouth and then it was like an instant panic attack, I felt weird and uncomfortable, anxious and distressed and to top it off my mom and brother had left the room and the guy shut the door since they were cleaning the floors outside the room...and he didn't give me the button to push, no signal on my cell and with the anxiety I got with that the monitor started beeping, which freaked me out even more.

They really need to tell us more about medications before they give them to people, I would have said hell no to that one..

The anxiety that medication causes was overwhelming, almost launched me into an anxiety attack, luckily my mom was just outside the door and they came in and sat with me.

But anyways it just weirds me out....what if some of these medications really start back firing on us?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,852,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

Same here. I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out my mom gave me tylenol for the pain. I had a recovery x2 as quick as my peers who took pain killers. It also taught me a lot about how to channel pain. Pain is very mental.

The last time I took antibiotics was for a severe kidney infection I had in my junior year of college. My stupid roommate told me it was ok to take OTC stuff for a bladder infection and it made its way to my kidneys. Never will I take advice from here again.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Same here. I remember when I had my wisdom teeth out my mom gave me tylenol for the pain. I had a recovery x2 as quick as my peers who took pain killers. It also taught me a lot about how to channel pain. Pain is very mental.

The last time I took antibiotics was for a severe kidney infection I had in my junior year of college. My stupid roommate told me it was ok to take OTC stuff for a bladder infection and it made its way to my kidneys. Never will I take advice from here again.
I agree. A lot of it is mental.
Which is why I was able to pierce my own ears the other night.

Sometimes it is hard to block it out though.
I try to with my migraines and last month was the first time in years I have been to the ER with a migraine.
Sometimes it does get too over whelming, my eyes hurt to blink, to touch them and I had one specific spot in my head that I was having sharp stabbing pains, even blinking made it hurt. I woke up like that and it was immediately an I need to go to the ER deal...I tried to go sit in a hot shower but trying to calm myself down and get in under control was hard when I was in so much pain that I was so confused that I couldn't even string together a coherent sentence. All I said was ER MOM and we went.

But I did once bruise my liver in a climbing accident at school and went on a weekend long swim meet THAT DAY and placed second...as well as giving a speech in my public speaking class right before I was dismissed early to leave for the meet.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Has anyone here or their children actually had a side effect of a medication happen to them?
Like a serious side effect?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,852,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Has anyone here or their children actually had a side effect of a medication happen to them?
Like a serious side effect?
My mom's friend had a stroke from taking the pill. She was in her late 50's however.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,970,916 times
I can honestly say, my 16 year old son has never taken anything other than Tylenol. Not even an antibiotic. Not that I'm some fanatic - he's just never gotten that sick and I'm not one to run to the doctor. I'm not a fan though of antibiotics myself (I can't think of the last time I ever took one), because of how they mess up your system.

Even when he broke his leg and was in a full leg cast - he only took Tylenol those first few days. Hang on - I take that back. They did give him something right after it happened before they pulled the ski boot off. The screams were horrible....won't forget that.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My mom's friend had a stroke from taking the pill. She was in her late 50's however.
Like the birth control pill?
I'm actually going to try to get on it this week or when ever I can get to planned parenthood. I just want whatever WON'T make me gain weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting