Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
exactly why you don't have faith

those w/ faith give over their fears & concerns to a higher power. they give over the control they have on those feelings.

and you are. you have to struggle to get that control & say "I'm in control. No one else." Why?

I'm not in 100% control of my life & my faith gives me peace & comfort with it.

If you know little to nothing about Christianity or blame your parents for making you go to church & that is why you don't believe in anything, so be it. You won't get what I am saying.

So, what is the meaning of Christmas & Easter to you?
Woah, calm down there tonto, I never said that I blamed anyone.
I get what you are saying. I just don't get why anyone would do that.

I KNOW the meanings of Christmas and Easter.
But we never celebrated them in the traditional sense in my family.
Christmas was/is just always the time we exchanged gifts and Easter was just the time we got some candy in an Easter egg basket.

Now, if you'll excuse me I don't really want to e-bicker, I have the stomach flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:28 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,507,724 times
My dad's side of the family is Jewish, my mom's side is Christian. Both of them, however, prefer spirituality over any sort of organized religion so that was what I was brought up with. Somehow, when I was little, I formed a strange aversion to any sort of organized religion. It's persisted with me. But I don't think that was my parents' fault.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,078 times
Quote:

?

The meaning of Christmas and Easter in my family (as nonbelievers) is just to be with family and to give gifts.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
Quote:

And added: free will means you can choose to accept God or not. you can choose to kill a person, have 20 kids, smoke 39 packs a day...the list goes on. You have choosen not to believe and in the Christian faith, that is called free will. There is a flip side to that & those are all the consequences..BUT, since you have 100% control!!!! that means you must live an absolutely perfect life w/ nothing ever going wrong. If you really think you are the complete controller of your fate..what do you say to the 3,000 people who lost their lives on 9/11. Doubt they wanted to die that day. But they had no control over it, did they?
There are somethings you cannot control, which is the actions of others.
But I have a friend who went by gods plan for college and career choices.

What I do for the rest of my life is up to me and no one else, I need to be happy with things that affect me in my day to day life and no one else or anything else needs to be dictating or controlling that and I certainly don't think that I should just sit back and place the rest of my life in the hands of God just direct it as it goes and let whatever happen happen and call it his plan.

And just because I don't believe doesn't mean I am not good person.
I just about gave my mom my entire next paycheck to contribute to $2000 in car repairs, which will be like nearly $400 that I am chipping in, just so we can get it back to working or I'll be paying for the rental car I'm not even allowed to drive.
I am going into law enforcement.
I do the right things etc.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
The meaning of Christmas and Easter in my family (as nonbelievers) is just to be with family and to give gifts.
That can be done any time of the year.

Do you call it a different name b/c there is religious meaning to the actual names.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,161 times
I was brought up Baptist and my husband was brought up Methodist. I see too many religions focus on formality and get so rigid w/ the "thou shalt nots" that they forget the true focus is God's grace. For me now, it's not about religion, but a relationship w/ Jesus Christ. We have raised our daughter in a non-denominational church that is Bible believing. While I never forced my daughter to make a decision for Christ, she chose to.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What I do for the rest of my life is up to me and no one else, I need to be happy with things that affect me in my day to day life and no one else or anything else needs to be dictating or controlling that and I certainly don't think that I should just sit back and place the rest of my life in the hands of God just direct it as it goes and let whatever happen happen and call it his plan.
You are very lost in the meaning of Christianity.

What you are saying has nothing to do w/ Christianity & almost the exact opposite.

God never says to just let Him control it all & never be in command of one's choices.

Again, you just don't have faith. That is your free will.

Do you plan on having kids b/c if you do, believe me, they will tell you what is going to happen the rest of your life whether or not you like it (this is meant in good humor)

Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

And just because I don't believe doesn't mean I am not good person.
I just about gave my mom my entire next paycheck to contribute to $2000 in car repairs, which will be like nearly $400 that I am chipping in, just so we can get it back to working or I'll be paying for the rental car I'm not even allowed to drive.
I am going into law enforcement.
I do the right things etc.
Most normal Christians are not going to think you are banished to hell b/c you are a nonbeliever or a horrible person.
That is against the faith, actually. To understand what I am saying gets to complicated for this thread.

I went to 12 yrs of Catholic school & wanted to major in comparitive religions. I find religions fascinating. I'm just content w/ the path I have choosen. It's not for me to force it down my child but it is up to me to continually show them what I do believe in.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:

Santa and Bunnies.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM

494 posts, read 890,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like you're planning to force them to learn about athiesm. Trust me, they will be curious about religion because they will be exposed to it via friends. Get ready for those questiions!
Oh brother. Everyone is born an atheist (and please learn to spell it if you're going to diss it). Children have to be taught to believe in god and follow a religion, they don't have to be taught to be atheists.

And no, smart kids who are taught to think for themselves will have very few questions about gods and religions, because even a child can use logical thinking and see just how foolish those things really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting