Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times

Advertisements

How are you doing it? Are you letting them make the choice? Or having them go to where you worship and let them choose at a certain age. We try to exspose our kids to different beliefs.....and want to let them choose one day. What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I was raised by a Christian mom and and atheist dad. Mom took me and my sis to church every week, but didn't pound it into our heads at home. Dad never went. As an adult I feel like I can make my own choice, and that choice was to join a Christian church and take the kids. I want them to be exposed to it, and we found a good church home when we moved here. Fundies really turn me off to religion, however. I'm not like that, and neither is my church.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I was raised by a Christian mom and and atheist dad. Mom took me and my sis to church every week, but didn't pound it into our heads at home. Dad never went. As an adult I feel like I can make my own choice, and that choice was to join a Christian church and take the kids. I want them to be exposed to it, and we found a good church home when we moved here. Fundies really turn me off to religion, however. I'm not like that, and neither is my church.

Yeah i was raised as a catholic....actually really enjoyed the ceremony to it and the priests but it just didn't gel with me as an adult is all. Funny thing is my dad never went either ...and i have noticed a lot of fathers do the same...i wonder why that it?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I went to 12 years of Catholic School. I knew from 1st grade that church really wasn't for me. Now I don't really believe in anything. I think religion, or lack there of should be a choice. I have always seen people picking and choosing to be religious when its convenient for them. Like one of my girl friends is half jewish and half christian, however when we are out and she meets someone jewish she says "I'm jewish" same as when she meets someone christian. However when Easter and Christmas roll around she is magically "my mom is christian and wants me to have christmas and easter". Holidays aren't an entitlement. I openly celebrate the commercial side of christmas, as do my friends who don't really believe in anything, we celebrate Dwali and things like that too.

I could go on forever about this...

Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post

I could go on forever about this...

go on.....

Old 09-14-2010, 05:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
As an adult I feel like I can make my own choice.
That is how I feel about it when raising children w/ a religion.
It's not pick & choose as a child IMO unless that is how the family lives.
Our fundamentals are Christian and we are practicing Catholics.
I fought it tooth & nail, especially as a teenager.
Can't live w/o my faith as an adult.
Completely appreciate the consistency my parents showed me in regards to religion in our home.
Consistency.
When our children are living on their own, they can practice praying to unicorns if they want.
I have a very strong belief in Chrisitianty in my raising of children & that is all I will say.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I'm an agnostic. But I exposed my children to various denominations of Christianity, Islam and Judaism so they could form their own opinions.

I did not want to impose my agnostic beliefs onto my children because I consdier religious beliefs to be a journey people need to make on their own.

If they chose to not enbrace any religious beliefs, at least they received an education about cultures and beliefs, which I feel is important because religion is a major force in world politics.

Both of my young adult children currently lean towards Christian beliefs.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:06 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
Both me and my fiancee are athiest. His "family" is jewish. My stepgrandparents are both catholic priests. We do not and will not ever bring our children to church. We do celebrate holidays and If my children are ever curious about religion (which I doubt will happen) they can ask about it and we will try to answer, but I am not going to force them to learn about something.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Both me and my fiancee are athiest. His "family" is jewish. My stepgrandparents are both catholic priests. We do not and will not ever bring our children to church. We do celebrate holidays and If my children are ever curious about religion (which I doubt will happen) they can ask about it and we will try to answer, but I am not going to force them to learn about something.
Sounds like you're planning to force them to learn about athiesm. Trust me, they will be curious about religion because they will be exposed to it via friends. Get ready for those questiions!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post

So what denomination are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting