Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I should have been more clear, because that's the point I meant to make. These infants might have been (probably were) infected by older children who did not receive the vaccine. Even if the babies had received their first dose, they were still vulnerable. It's really important for everybody to be vaccinated against this easily prevented disease.
Oops. Thanks for clarifying. Your first post sounded like you were saying that the babies would have died regardless.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:12 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It's important to note that all of the deaths were in infants under the age of 3 months. In California, children are given four (or five doses), beginning at two months of age. Even if the infants received their initial doses, they would not have had complete immunity. Please, please, people, get the vaccine!
Exactly, this is where herd immunity comes into effect!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Exactly, this is where herd immunity comes into effect!
Many people misunderstand what the term herd immunity means.

Herd immunity doesn't immunize all of the herd. Herd immunity only immunizes part of the herd to cause a break in the chain and reduce, not eliminate, the spread of illness.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I think people who chose to not vaccinate their children rely on the herd immunity theory.

As a result, herd immunity isn't a very good argument to encourage anti-vaccination population to vaccinate. It provides them with an excuse to not vaccinate.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Many people misunderstand what the term herd immunity means.

Herd immunity doesn't immunize all of the herd. Herd immunity only immunizes part of the herd to cause a break in the chain and reduce, not eliminate, the spread of illness.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I think people who chose to not vaccinate their children rely on the herd immunity theory.

As a result, herd immunity isn't a very good argument to encourage anti-vaccination population to vaccinate. It provides them with an excuse to not vaccinate.
Yep, I know. I was meaning to indicate that herd immunity could have helped prevent the deaths of these infants. Obviously they were too young to be immunized, but if the rest of the 'herd' was, they would have had less chance to contact a carrier.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Adults likely need the DtaP booster. Or TdaP. Whichever it is called now. Or at least a titer, but boosters are faster and easier from a public health standpoint.
Our county health dept is offering free TdaP vaccine to everyone age 19-64 who lives with an infant or cares for one. This is an important part of the chain of protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Yep, I know. I was meaning to indicate that herd immunity could have helped prevent the deaths of these infants. Obviously they were too young to be immunized, but if the rest of the 'herd' was, they would have had less chance to contact a carrier.
Yes, that's correct. The "herd" (now being called "community immunity" by some) has to have ~ 90% immunization rate to protect the vulnerable.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Our county health dept is offering free TdaP vaccine to everyone age 19-64 who lives with an infant or cares for one. This is an important part of the chain of protection.

That is good news. I was thinking with the rollout of flu season 2010-11 and the shots starting to be offered it would be a good opportunity to do a TdaP campaign as well, but I am not sure how feasible it would be.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, now there's a social program I could approve of!

Old 09-17-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
That is good news. I was thinking with the rollout of flu season 2010-11 and the shots starting to be offered it would be a good opportunity to do a TdaP campaign as well, but I am not sure how feasible it would be.
It would be a great idea. I'd suggest "vetting" it to your local health department. They already bundle flu and pneumonia shots.

Here's a link about my county's program.

Whooping cough vaccinations free to Boulder County teens and adults - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Do any of you think that there is a possibility that a lot of the diseases are starting to get immune to our vaccinations? And since we over vaccinate and over sanitize that we aren't even allowing our bodies to build immunities against viruses and disease?

I am not talking specifically about whopping cough (although just maybe whopping cough could be returning because the vaccination no longer works as well as it did against the virus)

Just something to think about....

Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Do any of you think that there is a possibility that a lot of the diseases are starting to get immune to our vaccinations? And since we over vaccinate and over sanitize that we aren't even allowing our bodies to build immunities against viruses and disease?

I am not talking specifically about whopping cough (although just maybe whopping cough could be returning because the vaccination no longer works as well as it did against the virus)

Just something to think about....
No.

Whooping cough is returning b/c people don't immunize. Period. You still get antibodies, which are proof of immunity, when you immunize. It's not caused by a virus, BTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting