Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There were good records kept by the schools where we lived. I know this for a fact. YEARS AGO, I needed my immunization history for employment at a school. Since my pediatrican's office was closed decades ago, I was instructed to call the school district where I attended to find my vaccination history. I did get my vaccination history back then----approximately 16 years ago. I didn't think to keep a copy for myself because I didn't have health issues at the time. I guess I could contact the school district again and see if they still have my vaccination history. I need to look into that again.

Hmmmmmm......I guess we could get revaccinated if we're not sure about our vaccination history and our health situation warrants it.
1994 might have been better about verification than even six years prior (I graduated HS in 1988).

I got the titer to see if I needed to get a booster for any component of the MMR shot. I also got a titer for Hep B because I did 2 out of 3 shots of the series back in 1997 and I may not need the third one if I have enough immunity. We'll see.....

I had completely forgotten about the TdaP shot and I think I ended up just getting a regular tetanus booster when I went in the other day. I'll have to check the record. editing to add: it WAS the Tdap. Ok then.

And they took my word on it that I had chickenpox as a kid. I guess when you are old like me they don't doubt it. I don't think I personally know anyone my age that has not had it, and most of them had it as children.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
1994 might have been better about verification than even six years prior (I graduated HS in 1988).

I got the titer to see if I needed to get a booster for any component of the MMR shot. I also got a titer for Hep B because I did 2 out of 3 shots of the series back in 1997 and I may not need the third one if I have enough immunity. We'll see.....

I had completely forgotten about the TdaP shot and I think I ended up just getting a regular tetanus booster when I went in the other day. I'll have to check the record. editing to add: it WAS the Tdap. Ok then.

And they took my word on it that I had chickenpox as a kid. I guess when you are old like me they don't doubt it. I don't think I personally know anyone my age that has not had it, and most of them had it as children.
Chickepox is one of those diseases of which it is said "Your grandmother could diagnose it". Prior to immunization, almost 100% of people got it.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:

I guess when you are old like me they don't doubt it.
Shame on you! We are NOT old!

Quote:
I don't think I personally know anyone my age that has not had it, and most of them had it as children.
My husband hasn't had the chicken pox and he's 10 year older than me. I suspect that he might have had a mild case they didn't recognize. Neither of my children caught the chickenpox despite my efforts. I ended up giving them the vaccination when they were in late middle school or early high schoo, whatever grade the state finally required we do it. But I suspected that they might have also had a mild case of chickenpox that escaped our notice.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Chickepox is one of those diseases of which it is said "Your grandmother could diagnose it". Prior to immunization, almost 100% of people got it.
I totally remember it sweeping through my school and my brother's school. Like head lice. LOL. I got it on the last day of school before summer break. I got off the bus, was not feeling well, and my mom checked my trunk area and there it was, just beginning.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The herd immunity might explain why my children never caught the chickenpox prior to my caving in and getting the immunizations at the state deadline.

But my husband is in his mid-50s and he has never had the chickenpox. Isn't it possible that someone could have had a mild case of chickenpox?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
The herd immunity might explain why my children never caught the chickenpox prior to my caving in and getting the immunizations at the state deadline.

But my husband is in his mid-50s and he has never had the chickenpox. Isn't it possible that someone could have had a mild case of chickenpox?
Yes. Lots of people are immune even though they have no recollection of having the disease. Your DH could get a titer (blood draw) or just get the vaccine, which may be easier. It will not hurt him to get the vaccine if he is already immune.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 PM

Apparently, 10% of the adult population never caught the chickenpox:

Quote:
Currently, 90% of adults are immune to chickenpox because of having had the disease as children.

Chickenpox (Varicella) Vaccine Questions and Answers

Quote:
Shame on you! We are NOT old!

My husband hasn't had the chicken pox and he's 10 year older than me. I suspect that he might have had a mild case they didn't recognize. Neither of my children caught the chickenpox despite my efforts. I ended up giving them the vaccination when they were in late middle school or early high schoo, whatever grade the state finally required we do it. But I suspected that they might have also had a mild case of chickenpox that escaped our notice.
heheh I sure feel old some days. Some nights I sit here just praying for my children to fall asleep so I can go to bed! I'm currently re-thinking my 10 yr plan b/c I came to the awful conclusion I don't have the energy (or physical recoil/recovery) I did at 25.

It is possible he or they did have a mild case. I know mine was recognizable but mild - I had a total of 19 lesions. They were just in unforgettable and very uncomfortable places. Ouch. I would assume one could have it even more mildly than I did.

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Some more about the possibility of a mutation:
Child killer whooping cough is back | Radio Netherlands Worldwide
Quote:
According to Sabine De Greeff, the official vaccination programme is partly responsible for the resurgence of whooping cough: it’s a problem known as ‘vaccination pressure’.

”People are developing immunity against the whooping cough bacteria as a result of the extensive vaccination programme. However, the bacteria naturally wants to survive and has started to adapt. It’s trying to get stronger in order to survive. So this is in fact a result of consistent vaccination.”
Is Whooping Cough Vaccine Working? | KPBS.org
Quote:
Mooi believes researchers need to develop new vaccines. But he says the idea that the disease may be mutating and out-smarting current vaccines has been ignored by many public health officials

“That’s not good science and that’s not good public health.”
I'm posting this because I think it's important that people know about it so that they can take additional precautions and protect their babies even if they (the parents and the children) are fully vaccinated. The theory is still not 100% confirmed but research strongly suggests that this is happening.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Yes. Lots of people are immune even though they have no recollection of having the disease. Your DH could get a titer (blood draw) or just get the vaccine, which may be easier. It will not hurt him to get the vaccine if he is already immune.
We should definitely check that out sometime. But I've read that chickenpox among the elderly is very rare.

Not saying hubby is elderly, but he will be in a few more decades!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting