Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
All I really have to do is contribute to groceries and gas.
Gas makes sense for your personal use of the car.

Groceries doesn't make sense. She should have included that in with the room when she determined the pay.

This could be a good thing. Getting out of your mother's house will probably inspire you to figure out a way to get your own place if this doesn't work out.

We'll see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
My biggest question is why someone needs a LIVE-IN nanny for only 15 hours/week.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,284 times
I can see you paying for gas if you are using their vehicle. But, are you contributing to the whole family's food buget or just for what you personally will eat? That does not sound good if you are having to pay for their food too.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
My biggest question is why someone needs a LIVE-IN nanny for only 15 hours/week.
I'll admit I find this odd too.

Also, such free use of their car - it would seem that unless it's being used for actual nannying duties, they could really be putting themselves in a bad spot liability wise.

Oh well. Hope it works out. I'm curious to see how this goes.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,165 times
hmm why would this family basically take on another "child" and pay them 190/wk on top of everything? This doesn't make any sense at all.

How on earth is the mother able to just work around your school and work schedule? That doesn't make sense either. She has kids and says you can just let your friends come and go as they please- even staying over two nights a week- and she JUST met you? Something sounds fishy to me. No one is going to do all of that to have someone watch their kids for 15hrs a week

Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
$760 a month is not bad, since it's will be her disposable income. I wonder how much disposable income any MacDonald's worker gets, after paying rent and utilities.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
hmm why would this family basically take on another "child" and pay them 190/wk on top of everything? This doesn't make any sense at all.

How on earth is the mother able to just work around your school and work schedule? That doesn't make sense either. She has kids and says you can just let your friends come and go as they please- even staying over two nights a week- and she JUST met you? Something sounds fishy to me. No one is going to do all of that to have someone watch their kids for 15hrs a week
Nailed it NE.

There's gotta be a catch.

I'd be highly suspicious of the employer. Not enough time for a thorough background check on her part. She's going to let STRANGERS into her basement to sleep with the "nanny"? Drive around town in THEIR car with people they don't know? Something is really wrong here.

txtqueen, Please do not go into this thinking everything is all hunkey dorey. It smells to high heaven.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-22-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
It's only disposable income if she is foolish and chooses to dispose of it. Also, per her own post, she is expected to chip in for gas and groceries. So, knock off around $50 per week - at approximately 4 weeks per month, that brings the grand total down to $560/month. Of that, she'll need medical insurance and her cell phone once the contract on her mom's account runs out. So call that another $300 a month for insurance/phone - that leaves her with $260/month. Then put some money away to accommodate deductibles and prescriptions for when she actually needs the doctor - since at $300 a month you know she's not gonna get any kind of insurance with only a $5 co-pay...and hm. I guess that's gonna put her in the hole if she has any actual medical emergency.

So that $760/month won't even cover the bare necessities, living away from home. It's not disposable income at all. And if she does dispose of it (meaning, spend it), she'll be hurting big time when the crap hits the fan and she discovers what it actually costs to be an adult.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's only disposable income if she is foolish and chooses to dispose of it. Also, per her own post, she is expected to chip in for gas and groceries. So, knock off around $50 per week - at approximately 4 weeks per month, that brings the grand total down to $560/month. Of that, she'll need medical insurance and her cell phone once the contract on her mom's account runs out. So call that another $300 a month for insurance/phone - that leaves her with $260/month. Then put some money away to accommodate deductibles and prescriptions for when she actually needs the doctor - since at $300 a month you know she's not gonna get any kind of insurance with only a $5 co-pay...and hm. I guess that's gonna put her in the hole if she has any actual medical emergency.

So that $760/month won't even cover the bare necessities, living away from home. It's not disposable income at all. And if she does dispose of it (meaning, spend it), she'll be hurting big time when the crap hits the fan and she discovers what it actually costs to be an adult.
The same calculations apply to a $10/hour, 40-hours /week low-wage earner. That comes to $1600 /month, - after rent and utilities the worker will have left much less than $760. (and note, that's full day, full month working, not a 15-hour week).

As for discovering how much it cost to be an adult, - the OP needs it bad, so it's a good thing.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
You're all forgetting she has another job. Selective memory?

Hope it works out for you, txt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting