U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 PM

947 posts, read 3,099,998 times

Advertisements

Hey there,
don't know where to post this, but here goes...

I am trying to find a book and have searched and read some reviews but hard to know what book would be the best and most useful for this situation....

I have a mother, that is "toxic" ...
I am in my 30's and don't have kids, my sister is older with 3 kids.
Anyway, my mother is very damaging to my sis 3 kids, has been always...
as I know I am not the mother of my sisters kids, I do see what she does and she (my mom) always complains about and talks negatively about my sister (her daughter!) and yet my sister still lets the kids go over there etc.

she, my mom, has many issues...
she just a not nice person, I would never be friends with a person such as her and therefore it is always tense when around her and I actually rather not be.

She is very backstabbing, misleading, manipulative, blames others, put the burden on others, brags about her "church friends and family"
etc etc etc...
anyway I don't even know if she would read such a book... although I hope so, but just wondering of anyone might have a suggestion!?

thanks in advance

i know dissconect is a good thing to do, (I have pretty much done so) but would be nice if she worked on herself and since my sister still lets our mom have the 3 kids over... she really needs to stop damaging their little minds!

I was thinking of a Dr Laura book, because she is so well known and good place to start... but I welcome all suggestions and comments!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:14 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,483,635 times
flat out.. back up you cant fix this issue with Mom.. and evendently your sister doesnt have the issues with mom that you do .. so I think a dose of MYOB is in order

Old 09-19-2010, 01:22 PM

678 posts, read 1,356,642 times
I'm sorry about your Mom. I can relate. I'm not sure a book will make a difference. Most people who behave as your Mom does, do not believe they need to "work on themselves". In her eyes, she's fine. Everyone else is screwed up and it's her responsibilty to point it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 PM

222 posts, read 724,724 times
Spend as little time as possible with her and make the phone convos short.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:25 PM

actually sis does have same issues...

she back stabs me and her... has on and off over Years!!!

we are a very close family, well, sister and I are very close and help her with kids lots in past as well.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
I'm sorry about your Mom. I can relate. I'm not sure a book will make a difference. Most people who behave as your Mom does, do not believe they need to "work on themselves". In her eyes, she's fine. Everyone else is screwed up and it's her responsibilty to point it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, but it is disappointing... but I do know that a "book" is not The answer...
and as disappointing as it is... ummm well, guess that is how it is.

she has interfered with relationships of mine with men and my sisters. says things that are just Untrue and blatant Lies!! made up stories etc.

sad that people... whether family or not are like that.

thanks.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,483,635 times
better advise then.. get your sister the book called
Say No to Toxic people

she will figure it out and save her children .. you could buy a copy for your mom as well ..

Old 09-19-2010, 01:37 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,287,822 times
Please listen to the good advice you are getting. We all like to save others, it is a very powerful feeling.
You cannot change others, only your reaction to them. Move on you deserve a life.
Best of luck.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 PM

thanks much you guys.
it means a lot.

i know i can never change people...

tried to talk with her and have always... gotten nowhere!

she starts to cry i mean, Ball..!
saying that i am being mean, insensitive etc...
and then blames others and justifies actions...
gets no where, i have ended up comforting her in the end! haha when it was me that was hurt in the first place! HAHA

well, disconnect is the best, conversations short...
family does not always stay together and help each other out i guess ... when they are toxic.
she and those like my mom, will never see it, never see the way that she is behaving... oh well.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:52 PM

16,608 posts, read 19,050,364 times
My bet is you mean this book

Amazon.com: Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life (9780553284348): Susan Forward: Books

Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hateful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life by Susan Forward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting