Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:19 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

My husband is limited on volunteer time because of work travel, but I volunteer extensively for my children's sports and school activities, church, and some community projects. As my kids grow older, they volunteer as well. The little guys help with PTA projects, like setting up for our bookfairs or carnivals. My Jr. High/ High Schoolers who wrestle now assist the coaches with the elementary club wrestling program, help with pee wee baseball, help with vacation bible school at our church, etc. All the kids have participated in 4-H, and the older ones now serve several weeks each summer as volunteer camp counselors at the state 4-H camps. Volunteering has really helped them to develop a sense of community and responsibility--it's a very good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that's neat.
I agree!

Since my dd (daughter) has been little, we've participated in Operation Christmas Child for the children of Haiti and picking a couple children's names from the Christmas tree at church. She also knows that we support missionaries in Asia and our local Christian radio station. Along w/ giving toys and clothes away, we have bought new in the past for hurricane victims. I always made sure these shopping trips were strictly for other children and not dd. My dd has watched me give of my time for years at her school and even being a "Room Mom" a few times. I did teach her the importance of remaining anonymous in giving. I wanted her to know that some people don't have as much to give and we don't want to make them feel bad or be boastful w/ what we can give. My dd was also involved in the food pantry at school for years. I was proud of her one year when there was a tornado that touched down in another state, she took from her own savings and gave $70.

Now that she's older, we both volunteer at a horse rescue from grooming & walking the horses to shoveling out the stalls. We volunteer w/ autistic children on horses at another stable. I've done animal rescue for years, and she's always been eager to help me w/ that. I'm also volunteering w/ her school activities and providing what is needed.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:38 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
I work in education and there are many kids whose parents saved up or went into debt to buy them a computer so they can use it for school. They have no way to replace it if something terrible goes wrong. I tell all the kids that don't have resources to bring me their computer if they ever have a problem with it and I will fix it for them at no charge. If I have to buy a part for it on ebay I do.

I've gotten so many hugs from kids who are so happy when they get it back and it works again. The hugs and looks are worth so much more to me than money. They are just so appreciative. Sometimes the mom will send me some cookies as a thanks and I tell them it's not necessary.

One story that just disgusted me. One of my nephews was required to do 10 hours of community service in 8th grade. His mother thought it was stupid and "why should he do something for nothing?" was her attitude. Time moved and he still had no signed papers from people that he did service for.

Then a woman across the street asked him to shovel out her car. I told him this would be a good service credit. She offered him thirty dollars and he took it. I said "but now you can't use it as credit" but he didn't care and his mother thought I was insane to think he should help someone for the sake of helping. There is just no talking to some people. I have no idea what he did to get the credits. I never bothered to ask.

Last edited by cleasach; 09-26-2010 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Very sweet story here (no idea if it is true - I got it without an author, but found it here with the copywrite info)

My First Christmas Party: Inspirational stories, motivational stories, poems,

Someone added a couple of lines to my version that are interesting.

Were they were wrapping the present, (a little tag fell out of the coat, and Grandma tucked it in
her Bible)

And at the end
I still have the Bible, with the coat tag tucked inside: $19.95

Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I was in a womens service group while my kids were young, volunteered at their schools, and was a scout leader for a couple of years. My daughter used to volunteer at a local animal shelter but my son never did much except what was required by his school to graduate.

I'm a firm believer in NOT forcing volunteering. At different points in our lives it may be something we want to do, and we do it happily. Unhappy volunteers are less than useless IMO and nobody should have to do it on someone elses schedule. I even opposed the high schools requirement for seniors to put in so many hours before graduation, but my opinion didn't matter and everyone is supposed to do it now so the school board can pat themselves on the backs and say "look what WE do". Blah. All that really does is force some kids to fake it because they literally can't work it into their schedule or have a bad attitude about being told what to do and where. I don't blame them. And honestly, there is only so much "help" our local area needs. When the seniors from all the local high schools flood the area the last 6 months they trip over each other trying to find something to do. And for some reason our school board insistes that it be done their senior year. My daughter spent 3 years at the animal shelter but that didn't count because it didn't fit the schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting