Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:46 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,259,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
I think it's the silliest thing ever! Kids that age are not going to pay any mind to the fact that her skirt is a little short or her top is a little low!

Dumbest thing ever!

the kids won't pay attention but I guarantee there would be some upset parents because they will see the short skirt and low top, Sesame St is set up to be a wholesome, learning experience for kids and I am alittle surprised they would have even considered having her on the show, she is just alittle to racy for a kids show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 12:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,852,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Good grief. She couldn't put on some regular clothes for five minutes? Sesame Street is not about your breasts, Katy.
Well they have had no problem in the past showing guys with no shirts on so what is the difference really?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:00 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,181,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Duh, that Sesame St would even film something with Katy Perry is mind-boggling. I like to hear her sing but if I still had small children would not want them to see her on Sesame St.
A friend had the video linked on her facebook page. It was pretty tame. Honestly, I've seen more inappropriate attire in the kids' department at Wal-mart.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM

436 posts, read 1,520,735 times
It's not about "toddlers won't care if she is wearing something revealing or not". It's about the constant exposure to things like this that are desensitizing young children and blurring the lines about what is appropriate. There are constant threads on here about 12 & 13yo's having sex or doing sexual things like they think it is no big deal. There are constant threads about how girls are dressing too sexy at young ages. Where does that stem from? If these kids are being constantly bombarded with sexual images/sexual situations they start to believe that is how everyone acts. Kids movies and shows are not really for kids anymore. They are to entertain the parents so the parents will shell out the money to see it and buy it on DVD.

And please no one say "you see more skin at the beach". Yes you do see more at the beach because that is what the beach is all about. Children learn that wearing a bathing suit is appropriate for the beach.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,181,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
the kids won't pay attention but I guarantee there would be some upset parents because they will see the short skirt and low top, Sesame St is set up to be a wholesome, learning experience for kids and I am alittle surprised they would have even considered having her on the show, she is just alittle to racy for a kids show.
Sesame Street was created as an urban, "relevant" alternative to children's programming like Mister Rogers, Romper Room, and Lucy's Toy Shop. I think the whole thing is a tempest in a teapot.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:35 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,259,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
It's not about "toddlers won't care if she is wearing something revealing or not". It's about the constant exposure to things like this that are desensitizing young children and blurring the lines about what is appropriate. There are constant threads on here about 12 & 13yo's having sex or doing sexual things like they think it is no big deal. There are constant threads about how girls are dressing too sexy at young ages. Where does that stem from? If these kids are being constantly bombarded with sexual images/sexual situations they start to believe that is how everyone acts. Kids movies and shows are not really for kids anymore. They are to entertain the parents so the parents will shell out the money to see it and buy it on DVD.

And please no one say "you see more skin at the beach". Yes you do see more at the beach because that is what the beach is all about. Children learn that wearing a bathing suit is appropriate for the beach.
I have to say I have been very shocked to see what people have to say on here in regards to children having sex on here, because like it or not a 13 yr old is a child.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,868,092 times
I don't see why she chose that outfit for a children's show. I'd feel ridiculously undressed if it were me. I have always volunteered at my children's preschools/schools, and never dressed like that.

Interestingly, none of my three children ever liked Sesame Street.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I don't see why she chose that outfit for a children's show. I'd feel ridiculously undressed if it were me. I have always volunteered at my children's preschools/schools, and never dressed like that.
She didn't pick it. Celebrities don't dress themselves for TV appearances, or for every day for that matter. The Sesame Street wardrobe department dressed her is what I am thinking. If that's the case they knew exactly what she was wearing which is what makes this whole thing nonsense. If wardrobe didn't dress her, since maybe they don't have a wardrobe department since its a puppet show, her personal stylist dressed her. Chances are those aren't her clothes either. They came from various show rooms and will be sent back after the appearance.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,449,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
And Elmo running beneath her & all you see is her bare legs...
Again, young children are not going to be traumatized by it but it is just not appropriate.
It was just an odd piece overall & such a strange choice.
I found it very strange also. I wonder what the producer and director were thinking? She shouldn't have had on a strapless dress. It was inappropriate for the show. She should have worn something neutral like all the other guest stars do. Why couldn't she have worn a regular dress or pants/shirt?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 PM

707 posts, read 1,463,949 times
Its no wonder why some people have a problem with breastfeeding in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting