Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 AM

18 posts, read 65,665 times

Advertisements

We got a baby coming, and concluded that it is in our best interest to have a live-in nanny for the first 2 years. This is not because we're not around a lot, but more because our work schedules are to sporadic that we can't do the typical 7-5 day care thing.
Anyways, for those of you have have a live-in nanny, how did you do it? family friends? advertisement? internet?

I have done my due diligent with the online search, but I have much reservation about random internet search. I'm hoping to heard from others that have gone down this path. How did you go about it? what would you do differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
my friends who use professional services for household staffing say it is worth the peace of mind to know all candidates have been thoroughly vetted, are bonded, etc. I don't think I would want to have to research every single candidate. I would rely on a professional nanny search and somebody who knew from training or experience how to properly interact with the family.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM

Have you looked into au pair programs? This has worked for many people and especially if you want your child exposed to a different language.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
Nannies4Hire.com - Find a Nanny - Nanny Jobs - Nanny Agency - Nannies - Nanny Services

This site is endorsed by Dr Phil. They give you full access to all the background checks and previous employment information.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
I would troll the City Data forums and try to find the most angst ridden 20-something I could who just can't wait to get out from under their mothers roof. This way I could make their life a living hell and be very demanding, but it is most likely better than the situation they left, at least in their mind.

or

I'd contact a professional agency and go through them. It is important in the situation to have the bases covered and a professional with a complete background check and references along with being bonded and insured is what I would be after. They may be more pricey, but this is your kid we're talking about.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
When we did it thirty plus years ago, we put an ad in the local newspaper. The first person hired was a disaster with creepy mental health issues. Then we found someone who became more like family. She was like an extra grandmother and stayed with us until the kids were old enough to not need her any more. She even moved with us.

These days, I would concur with the idea of using a nanny service.

I would expect to see more turnover than we had, as you will probably end up with younger candidates who will eventually want to move on. I do not know whether you pay the nanny directly or pay the service and they pay the nanny. If you pay directly, you have to do payroll and workman's comp taxes. Using a service would reduce the risk of hiring someone who is in the country illegally, also.

You may be eligible for a child care tax credit that will recoup a good portion of what you pay as the employer's share of taxes.

Whomever you hire, treat her well. Both of you should have a clear understanding of hours and responsibilities. Will she do just child care or also cooking, laundry and house cleaning, for example. Our nanny started out just doing child care, cooking, and laundry. She offered to do cleaning, too. She got a raise when she did. You may find it better to just hire a cleaning service.

We also provided a vehicle for her to use.

It was expensive, but when we were home, we could spend time with the kids, not doing household chores.

It was definitely worth it.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I would troll the City Data forums and try to find the most angst ridden 20-something I could who just can't wait to get out from under their mothers roof. This way I could make their life a living hell and be very demanding, but it is most likely better than the situation they left, at least in their mind.

or

I'd contact a professional agency and go through them. It is important in the situation to have the bases covered and a professional with a complete background check and references along with being bonded and insured is what I would be after. They may be more pricey, but this is your kid we're talking about.
Ha! No comment.

I agree with NJGOAT. Even more that that, though, is that I'd take a very good look at myself an my spouse's lifestyle and personality, and make sure I had a very good idea of what TYPE of nanny I wanted for my kid.

For example, as this is your first child, you might want somebody older and very experienced in baby care, but consider the type of parents you think you'll be. If you are planning to breastfeed and co sleep and babywear, then you'll need a nanny that's up on attachment style parenting and shares a similar philosophy.

If you want the baby to sleep in a crib and be on a strict schedule, then you'll need a nanny who knows how to implement this and can help you out in that way.

The worst thing, IMO, would be to have a nanny with the best references and the most fabulous credentials who is nonetheless completely at odds with your parenting style. I think it's surprising how many parents don't take this into consideration when hiring someone to help raise their kid. I think people would save themselves a lot of stress if they really knew exactly what type of nanny it is they need, and not just that the nanny is of good repute.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

couldn't rep you but this is too funny. Wanna bet she'll find this

Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestleySpitz View Post
We got a baby coming, and concluded that it is in our best interest to have a live-in nanny for the first 2 years. This is not because we're not around a lot, but more because our work schedules are to sporadic that we can't do the typical 7-5 day care thing.
Anyways, for those of you have have a live-in nanny, how did you do it? family friends? advertisement? internet?

I have done my due diligent with the online search, but I have much reservation about random internet search. I'm hoping to heard from others that have gone down this path. How did you go about it? what would you do differently?

give txtqueen a call.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
Quote:

or

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting