Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Well, I can understand your kids being upset about moving. Perhaps, you can explore the school he will be going to and maybe meet some of your new neighbors especially ones that have kids your boys ages. My granddaughter actually loved moving here because she met the boy next door the day after we moved in and he is her best friend now (3 years later).

It's very hard to move away from everything you have known.

Dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, I can understand your kids being upset about moving. Perhaps, you can explore the school he will be going to and maybe meet some of your new neighbors especially ones that have kids your boys ages. My granddaughter actually loved moving here because she met the boy next door the day after we moved in and he is her best friend now (3 years later).

It's very hard to move away from everything you have known.

Dorothy
Yeah, maybe it would be worthwhile to take a tour of the schools I'll be sending them to. They've already met a few people in the neighborhood, though. I'm happy to say, it's a kid-friendly neighborhood. There's a bunch of potential friends for all four of my boys.

I just hope I can get Trevor to stop with this behavior, though...

Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Yeah, maybe it would be worthwhile to take a tour of the schools I'll be sending them to. They've already met a few people in the neighborhood, though. I'm happy to say, it's a kid-friendly neighborhood. There's a bunch of potential friends for all four of my boys.

Sometimes just sharing your own fears can help. What are you scared about with the move? How are you coping and why? Rather than focusing on *his* behavior, you might want to share stories about yourself when you were a kid. Or if you can't, perhaps your wife can?

Dorothy

Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Even if you get to the bottom of what's causing this behavior, he still needs to learn how to handle stress differently in the future. Just fixing the problem isn't enough. This might sound stupid, but put him in Karate classes. My son was being aggressive on the playground when he was in first grade. He was totally stressed out with pressures at school due to his learning disability. The teacher and principal said, "Put him in Karate." So, I put him in Karate. Guess what? The aggressive behavior stopped. Karate is a great outlet for kids, especially boys. It channels their aggression in a positive direciton and teaches them self control.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:34 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
I agree that he is probably upset with the move, I would assume whatever the neighborhood is across the street may have him worried too. This is a tough age, with puberty rearing it's head, a move to a new school and a new neighborhood. Has he always gone to school with the same group of kids? While we as adults understand change is necessary and can be good, kids can't always see that. I say some patience and definately consequences for his misbehaving are in order. No matter what is going on in his head he should not be allowed to be violent to another person. Grades can be brought up but he can't take back hitting another child.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even if you get to the bottom of what's causing this behavior, he still needs to learn how to handle stress differently in the future. Just fixing the problem isn't enough. This might sound stupid, but put him in Karate classes. My son was being aggressive on the playground when he was in first grade. He was totally stressed out with pressures at school due to his learning disability. The teacher and principal said, "Put him in Karate." So, I put him in Karate. Guess what? The aggressive behavior stopped. Karate is a great outlet for kids, especially boys. It channels their aggression in a positive direciton and teaches them self control.

Hmmm...pretty good idea Hopes. Doesn't sound stupid at all. I'll check out what the local Recreation Centers are offering for Karate programs. They generally have a wide array of things like that. Thanks very much!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:35 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
I'm guessing he's in 6th grade, He just moved up to the middle school, A big jump from ES, Lockers changing classes, more freedom, But also he at the bottom food chain of the school now, Less free time, more homework, and more is expected of him. He know's he's leaving in few weeks so it doesnt matter what he does. I would take both of your boys (all?) to visit there new school, If you can do it durring the school day. Ask the princpal to match them up with some students on there schedules. The school should be able to make up a schedule of what classes they will be in a few weeks. Let them see the school, and see how much its like there old school, Alot of schools set new kids up with a 'buddy' for the 1st few weeks they are in the new school. Do your boys have facebook pages yet? Make up some cards for them to give out to there new friends so the can 'friend' them.

The Karate sounds good but do it at a Karate studio where you are going to live, will be a hike for the few weeks till you move, but putting him in a karate where you are now will do no good, cause he know in x week he won't be gonig there anymore.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 PM

I called the school, and found out what happened with the whiteboard.

Evidentially, Trevor was 'picking on' another student for the entire class. When the student he was 'picking on' walked over to his desk, to do whatever, Trevor picked the whiteboard off of his desk, and hit him in the face with it.

This is really unusual behavior for him, and I'm worried that there's something going on with him, besides moving anxiety, that I'm not aware of.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Trevor picked the whiteboard off of his desk, and hit him in the face with it.
Have you sat him down to get his side of the story?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have you sat him down to get his side of the story?
I have not - but, I'll talk with him when he wakes up tomorrow morning, before school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting