Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,892 times

Advertisements

My son will have his 1st date this weekend- he has grown up with NO father in the picture- I am hoping to give him some hints such as opening door of car, getting her a drink at the dance etc. any of you out there have any other 1st date tips- they are going to homecoming game, dance and a breakfast afterwards. They are 15 and do not drive yet . No flower for this date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:52 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Have him put a cloth hankie (NOT tissues!) in each of his jacket pockets, so when his palms sweat he has something to dry them on other than his trouser legs. I say don't use tissues because nervous teenage boys with sweaty palms would shred a tissue up and end up taking bits and pieces of dripping tissue paper out of the pockets along with his still-dripping hands

Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Tell him to relax and have fun. When in doubt ask her questions rather than talk about himself. Very sweet!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
My son will have his 1st date this weekend- he has grown up with NO father in the picture- I am hoping to give him some hints such as opening door of car, getting her a drink at the dance etc. any of you out there have any other 1st date tips- they are going to homecoming game, dance and a breakfast afterwards. They are 15 and do not drive yet . No flower for this date.

Oh god i dread what will happen when the guys answer the questions *Cringes*. Anyway tell him to make sure he shows interest in what she is talking about....and to actually dance with her =P.....and why no flower?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
How much does he like this girl? Or is she just a friend he's happening to bring to the game, dance, breakfast? (breakfast? how late is this dance??)

If he's really sweet on her, he should bring her some kind of gift when he picks her up. It can be a simple flower arrangement (like the roses you get at the supermarket --- very pretty, but inexpensive) or a box of candy (Godiva).

As for the date itself, he should have fun at the game with her, ask her if she'd like something from the concession, and offer his jacket if she seems chilly.

The dance? Just have fun and dance! Bring her a drink, meet up with friends, talk, and have at least 3 dances with her.

Afterwards, pick up the tab for the meal.

How are they getting home? He should walk her to her door, tell her he had a great time, ask if it's okay to call tomorrow so maybe they can "hang out".

Old 09-28-2010, 08:28 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
How much does he like this girl? Or is she just a friend he's happening to bring to the game, dance, breakfast? (breakfast? how late is this dance??)

If he's really sweet on her, he should bring her some kind of gift when he picks her up. It can be a simple flower arrangement (like the roses you get at the supermarket --- very pretty, but inexpensive) or a box of candy (Godiva).

As for the date itself, he should have fun at the game with her, ask her if she'd like something from the concession, and offer his jacket if she seems chilly.

The dance? Just have fun and dance! Bring her a drink, meet up with friends, talk, and have at least 3 dances with her.

Afterwards, pick up the tab for the meal.

How are they getting home? He should walk her to her door, tell her he had a great time, ask if it's okay to call tomorrow so maybe they can "hang out".
Homecoming, depending on the school, can have events afterwards held by the school that the kids can go to that go until about 4am and then everyone goes out to ihop or something afterwards.

My school only did this for prom but some schools make a huge deal out of all this.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Homecoming, depending on the school, can have events afterwards held by the school that the kids can go to that go until about 4am and then everyone goes out to ihop or something afterwards.

My school only did this for prom but some schools make a huge deal out of all this.

Well when i was a youngin we had barn dances....now this was before the war between the states you now....in 185..... anyway my dances were never that fun sheesh...... and i dread the servers at i hop that day =\.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
So you can be the chauffer and do the driving.

Sounds like an all night affair. Personally I would not allow this.

You / He can drive the girl home.

Now thats me. Old fashioned I know and not in keeping with the modern way.

BTW, I think you should find a male mentor for him. Someone to be a father figure.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,465 times
Make sure he shakes hands with the father, if one's around. And that he looks the adults in the eyes.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Can I be a total jerk for a minute? I think a lot of the things you've mentioned should have been ingrained in him since he was a little boy. I have taught both my sons to open the door for me. They are both thoughtful towards me because that is how we treat each other.

Not saying that you don't, but a lot of the things you are talking about are common courtesy that should be almost automatic by this point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting