Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 AM

556 posts, read 797,005 times

Advertisements

Ever had one?

What was your experience?

When did your baby level off from the colic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Yes, ODS.

It was horrific. I was a single mother without any help. I was stuck, literally, in the house for 3 months straight, save for doctors appointments because of the weather (ODS was born in January). I even had groceries delivered. I remember crying myself, locking myself in the bathroom, going outside with a pillow to scream, etc. When I reached out to my mother, she said that I had made my bed and now I could lie in it.

He leveled off the week after he turned 3 months old. After that and up to & including today he is a very agreeable, happy little boy who is highly intelligent and mature. But I hear that a lot about kids who were colicky babies.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, ODS.

It was horrific. I was a single mother without any help. I was stuck, literally, in the house for 3 months straight, save for doctors appointments because of the weather (ODS was born in January). I even had groceries delivered. I remember crying myself, locking myself in the bathroom, going outside with a pillow to scream, etc. When I reached out to my mother, she said that I had made my bed and now I could lie in it.

He leveled off the week after he turned 3 months old. After that and up to & including today he is a very agreeable, happy little boy who is highly intelligent and mature. But I hear that a lot about kids who were colicky babies.
Mine was born in January too

He started @ about 3 weeks. I'll never forget, he started crying at 6am and continued until 1am, only stopping to fall asleep for 5-10 minutes here and there and would wake up continueing the last scream he was doing when he fell asleep. It was terrible. I would just sit on the floor and cry too. I took him to doctor after doctor who just say "you just have a difficult baby" and practically laugh at me as they sent me home.

He spit up like CRAZY. I finally switched him to formula because I thought my milk was bothering him. No help. He continued the screaming and stiffening up untill he was about 6-7 months then he was much easier. He spit up until he was about 16 months old. I'm pretty sure he had reflux and it makes me mad that the doctors always dismissed me the way they did.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Sadly, that has been my experience as well; not just with pediatricians either. It is so difficult to find a good doctor who is willing to take the time to research a problem.

I started ODS out on regular powdered formula. I thought that was the issue, that perhaps the powdered version was too hard on his belly. So then I switched to the ready made and it made no difference.

When he finally did stop crying incessantly, it was like a light switch going off. He just stopped one day. I swear I heard angels singing hallelujah! that day. LOL

Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,868,092 times
All three of my babies were colicky, too. From about 3-8 weeks, give or take a few weeks. It generally lasted about a month, and was every evening. And when it finally ended, it ended all of a sudden, not gradually. With my dd though, she would often cry during the day non-stop as well. All three were bfed, although I did stop early with my dd fearing it was my milk. It made no difference, though. I spent all sorts of $$ on various soothing devices, but they didn't work. With my dd the only thing that would work was turning on the vacuum cleaner, and it was incredible, she'd fall instantly asleep. I could hardly leave it on for hours, though! With my youngest the bathroom fan helped. I never found Dr.'s to be very helpful, either. It was all just trial and error, waiting for it to pass.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
All three of my babies were colicky, too. From about 3-8 weeks, give or take a few weeks. It generally lasted about a month, and was every evening. And when it finally ended, it ended all of a sudden, not gradually. With my dd though, she would often cry during the day non-stop as well. All three were bfed, although I did stop early with my dd fearing it was my milk. It made no difference, though. I spent all sorts of $$ on various soothing devices, but they didn't work. With my dd the only thing that would work was turning on the vacuum cleaner, and it was incredible, she'd fall instantly asleep. I could hardly leave it on for hours, though! With my youngest the bathroom fan helped. I never found Dr.'s to be very helpful, either. It was all just trial and error, waiting for it to pass.

The only way mine calmed down at all was if I put him in the front carrier and did lunges up and down the hallway, or held him and walked on the treadmill. It was exhausting, but I lost my baby weight pretty quick

Old 09-30-2010, 11:57 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times
My dd didn't cry all day long but she did cry a lot every day and she definitely fit with the definition of colic. She was very particular about things and wanted to be held in an upright position by me (and only me) and I had to be moving around (the rocking chair, exercise ball or glider didn't cut it). She also wanted to nurse frequently for extended periods of time. She was gassy and she spit up a lot. I eventually figured out that she was reacting to the dairy in my breast milk. Once I cut all dairy out of my diet she was so much better. It took me a long time to figure that out though. Wearing her in a carrier and going for long walks, working around the house, etc. helped a ton but I couldn't move around constantly and that's when she'd cry the most.

If my next baby is colicky I will modify my diet much sooner and hope that it helps.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,171,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
The only way mine calmed down at all was if I put him in the front carrier and did lunges up and down the hallway, or held him and walked on the treadmill. It was exhausting, but I lost my baby weight pretty quick
Me too. I ended up losing the baby weight and then some.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,831,238 times
Mine had colic, projectile vomiting (man, that stuff flew across the room), and bloody diapers. Milk allergy. Switched to soy. The projectile vomiting and bloody diapers stopped immediately. The colic lasted three months. It was exhausting. Seemed like eternity. Constant carrying, singing, and car rides. Then I discovered that bright lights and the sound of water running in the bathroom worked miracles!

After the colic ended at three months, we moved into ear infections every month. That wasn't as bad but lots of sleepless nights during the first year. She was happy when she wasn't laying down. Had tubes put in the ears near the first birthday and everything was fine after that.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:26 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,738,404 times
We switched to lactose sensitive formula and Dr Browns bottles and it was night and day. There are a lot of things you can do with formula to ease the symptoms of both - stir not shake the bottle, don't heat it with the nipple attached, hold the baby as upright as possible while feeding, hold them upright for at least 30 minutes after feeding, give a pacifier after feeding (the saliva produced from sucking neutralizes acid from the reflux). I was skeptical about the Dr Browns bottles for the longest time but in fact there are only two extra pieces to them, and they aren't difficult to clean at all. When I tried my son back with his Avent and Tommee Tippee bottles it was clear that the Dr Browns worked. My son also gets a little walk in his stroller in the afternoon, which seems to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting