Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
It doesn't really matter what his "true" religion is. He could have been recruited at anytime anywhere. If they find the link they can make a good case.
It is entirely unlikely that there is any link to Islam. You've been drinking the koolaid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
"underlying issues"....???? So what if he did have "issues"? Does that justify the cruelty of Dharun's actions?

Nothing can justify the hateful, cruel, egregiously mean thing that Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei did by broadcasting video of Tyler. And they (at least Dharun) did it with joy. There are no words to describe the hatefulness of those actions. I wonder if he has any remorse other than for how it's affecting him personally.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 AM

53 posts, read 82,659 times
I've always told my kids that to hate will get you nowhere in life, especially in my wee country.

shame that if all the parents for the last 30 years (and still today) in Northern Ireland told their kids not to hate, maybe it could have been different.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM

422 posts, read 649,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
PP, many of your posts are so angry. Were you bullied?
I'm not angry I'm intense. It comes from watching a great country turn into a shallow pool full of entitled slackers with no spine and no sense of personal responsiblity. Nothing is ever the fault of the person doing it.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is entirely unlikely that there is any link to Islam. You've been drinking the koolaid...

I'll take two servings of the flavor that makes this country safe thank you very much!!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
I'll take two servings of the flavor that makes this country safe thank you very much!!
As Ben Franklin said:
Quote:
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
This happened ONE FREAKING TIME. My son is not even in that kids class. If he witnesses it again I will tell him to stand up for the kid.
Good. I wasn't being accusatory in the least. Merely stating that so many people teach their kids to be complacent with the bullying as long as it isn't directed at them and to "be nice" to the kid who is being bullied. I don't disagree with that stance as long as the person being bullied is capable of defending themselves. However, when the target of the bullies is incapable of standing up for themselves then it is the moral responsiblity of those who can to intervene.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Riiiggghhhhtttt, Al Qaeda is now recruiting kids to film their roommates having sex in the hope that the roommate commits suicide. What size was that tin foil hat you ordered?

I said it earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating. The actions of the roommate were wrong, but in this instance we cannot hold him accountable for the results of his actions, only the actions themselves. He violated Tyler Clementi's privacy and published images of him and his partner without permission. For that, he is guilty, but nothing more. If Tyler Clementi hadn't committed suicide chances are none of us would have even heard about it. You cannot hold an individual responsible for another individual committing suicide.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 AM

45 posts, read 93,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
People don't just get bullied into ending their lives....there is already an underlying psychological issue going on.
I felt the need to respond to this, people have taken their lives due to bullying, and because of the bullying alone.

There haven't been any other problems contributing to their taking their own lives.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwhere_71 View Post
I felt the need to respond to this, people have taken their lives due to bullying, and because of the bullying alone.

There haven't been any other problems contributing to their taking their own lives.
Conversely there are people who deal with the same level of bullying, yet they don't end their lives. I feel that in order for someone to contemplate taking their life, there needs to be a much deeper issue at play. Something within their psyche that makes them that vulnerable. Therefore I do not believe you can hold a bully responsible for someone killing themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting