Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:26 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
hello everyone,

I need some advice as I am not sure what to do.

My mom told me flat out that if I don't pass my classes she won't pay for them anymore and there goes my degree.

My mom also told me that if I go down to AZ when my cousin is visiting his brother that I shouldn't bother coming back home.

I am currently a few weeks behind in my classes due to personal issues at the house and coming back from a week vacation as well.

If I don't pass my classes then I won't get my degree but I don't know what else to do? If I drop the classes then I'm one semester behind and $2,000 needed to take the classes again.

What should I do?

Well i mean she doesn't want to waste her money so i can understand that. You need to buckle down and pass your classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Sounds like your Mom is letting you decide, so do it........
get good grades and Mommy will support you
Quit school, get a job ( at a time when they are few and far between) and support yourself....

Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
When I was a college student I won a very prestigious scholarship. In order to keep it, my GPA could not tip below 3.5. If it did, I would be put on probation for a semester. If my grades did not pick up, I would lose the scholarship forever.

You can bet your bottom dollar that I studied my butt off and always kept my GPA above 3.5. My parents didn't have money to pay for my tuition and I didn't want to graduate with a huge amount of debt.

I would advise you to do whatever it takes to pass your classes. Geez, you only need a C to pass most college classes. STop whining.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 33,242 times
I think nearly everyone who has posted so far is pretty much exactly right.
Vacation shouldn't even been in the same post as flunking out of school...this is no-brainer.
Drop everything you are doing and study, study, study, only stop to eat, sleep, attend your classes. (fit a shower in too).

I had a very difficult semester while I was in college, I was working full-time, paying my own tuition and the coursework was brutal. I made my grades the priority - even my job performance suffered...but the goal of going to college is to get a better job...right?

That semester, I missed my cousin's wedding and my great-aunts funeral. I felt horrible, and I was miserable. But I now have a dream job, my cousin is divorced and I know my great-aunt (a life-long educator/pricipal) would understand and would be proud of how far I've come.

Not only that, but whenever things get difficult now I always think of that horrible semester and how I pulled it off. It built character and still puts all my bad days into perspective. It was the hardest I've ever had to work...and because of that IT WAS THE HARDEST I'LL EVER HAVE TO WORK.

Shoot for riding a gravy train in the future...not now.

Heck, I'd even suggest stop reading the replies on this site immediately...you don't have the time and you already know what you need to do.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
hello everyone,

My mom told me flat out that if I don't pass my classes she won't pay for them anymore and there goes my degree.

My mom also told me that if I go down to AZ when my cousin is visiting his brother that I shouldn't bother coming back home.

I am currently a few weeks behind in my classes due to personal issues at the house and coming back from a week vacation as well.

If I don't pass my classes then I won't get my degree but I don't know what else to do? If I drop the classes then I'm one semester behind and $2,000 needed to take the classes again.

What should I do?
Knuckle down and study your azz off! Get with your teachers immediately and find out what you have to do to pull off passing grades. See if they will work with you.

You are an adult now, behave like it. Life is not a vacation and your job is to pass school or get a job and provide your own way in life.

Is that clear enough? Probably the same thing your mother told you too!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:01 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,724 times
Quote:
hello everyone,

What should I do?

That's kind of a no-brainer, don't you think? Study.

How hard is it to just pass your classes? It's not like she's asked you to get A's and B's.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:24 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Ouch...rude no?
Someone needs a swift kick in the arse. If that's rude, so be it. He has it easy and still he's both failing AND complaining.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
What should I do?
If you don't develop a work ethic and eye of the tiger as pertains to your schooling, I suggest you start practicing the script for your next career: "Would you like fries with that?"

Old 10-02-2010, 03:11 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
Are you for real? You want to 'turn around' your delequent cousin when you can't see the stupidity of this question.
Grow up. Your choices now determine your future. If your momma's only requirement is that you pass your classes and she will pay, and you are willing to risk your future to go galivanting off to AZ after a week in FL, you are no role model I'd want my children to have.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Ouch...rude no?
I was thinking that and a bit heavy handed on the "did it all myself" angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting