Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 PM

129 posts, read 246,397 times

Advertisements

My son is 7 yrs old. For the past 3 years has been playing soccer and baseball.
The first two years was fine, no problems. This last year he played one season of baseball and presently in the middle of soccer. I do not even want to attend another game.

He doesn't hit the ball in baseball, he cries. Ball isn't thrown enough to him, he cries. Can't get the ball in soccer, he cries. Misses a goal, he cries. He does all of this while on the field. My husband and I have tried telling him the whole speel of the importance of having fun and being a good sport, doesn't matter if you win or lose.......to no avail.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you deal with it? Outcome?

Or, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 07:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
If an activity that my child was doing made him cry at 7 years old I would not have him do that activity. As soon as I assured him that he would not have to do that activity I would try to get to the bottom of why it was that he suddenly did not like that activity.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:48 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,276,801 times
I agree with Momma_bear

What is his coaches stance on winning and losing, do they put a big emphasis on winning? Maybe one of his friends at school is this way, there are any number of reasons for this to be happening. Maybe he needs to take a season off from sports and try music, acting or art lessons.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 PM

But he wants to do these activities..We certainly do not pressure him. At this point, I would love it if he quit. (horrible, I know)

He claims he wants to play, I think he puts too much pressure on himself?

Last edited by andygump5; 10-02-2010 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygump5 View Post
My son is 7 yrs old. For the past 3 years has been playing soccer and baseball.
The first two years was fine, no problems. This last year he played one season of baseball and presently in the middle of soccer. I do not even want to attend another game.

He doesn't hit the ball in baseball, he cries. Ball isn't thrown enough to him, he cries. Can't get the ball in soccer, he cries. Misses a goal, he cries. He does all of this while on the field. My husband and I have tried telling him the whole speel of the importance of having fun and being a good sport, doesn't matter if you win or lose.......to no avail.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you deal with it? Outcome?

Or, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea
Why not let the coach handle it? He could have a little "man talk" with your son and explain that he only expects him to do his best - and doing your best is never anything to cry over.

In addition, since he WANTS to play you could try telling him that unless he can be a good sport you're going to have to assume he's not "old enough" yet to play and take him off the team.

If he's putting that much pressure on himself it may not be a good idea for him to play anyway.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
Honestly? He sounds like a pia/crybaby. Sorry to be so harsh but he cries if the ball isn't thrown to him???? Give me a break! Does he realize there are other children on the team who have to have a chance???? Or does he think it's all about him (and how was THAT thought put in his head?).

Maybe pull him from team sports for a while until he matures a bit. Maybe put him in something like martial arts or gymnastics where he has to be totally focused in order to achieve a goal.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
In my opinion, I don't believe in pulling a child from an activity in the middle of a season, especially a group activity...

Sports at this age are not only meant to teach the child about sports and being physically active, it is also learning to be a team player and realizing that being a good sport is just as important when one loses as when one wins!

If I were you, I might ask the coach to have your son sit out during the next game or two but still have him watch from the bench. He is not showing good sportsmanship and should not be rewarded for his bad behavior by having play time...playing sports is a privilege and not a right.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 PM

lovesmountains- we had one coach try that approach, didn't work.

I think your probably right and he just isn't ready yet.

I guess as a mother I feel bad about pulling him from something he really seems like he wants to do but........ I don't want him giving himself an ulcer at 7.

Argghhhh, turns out my mom was right about payback

Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
In my opinion, I don't believe in pulling a child from an activity in the middle of a season, especially a group activity...

Sports at this age are not only meant to teach the child about sports and being physically active, it is also learning to be a team player and realizing that being a good sport is just as important when one loses as when one wins!

If I were you, I might ask the coach to have your son sit out during the next game or two but still have him watch from the bench. He is not showing good sportsmanship and should not be rewarded for his bad behavior by having play time...playing sports is a privilege and not a right.

I think you're correct in what you're saying but if this kid is crying and stomping around on the field, I wonder how he'll act if he has to sit there for an hour or so while everyone else gets to play?

In my daughter's old school, there was a kid like this in her class. OMG... none of the other kids wanted anything to do with him. What a PAIN! He would cry any time they had a group activity if he didn't get the ball or whatever. It got to the point where no one wanted to be around him and he wasn't invited to any parties or get-togethers (after ruining one kid's party by crying and stomping around because he didn't win some party game). My daughter is out of that school now but, from what I understand, this kid has only gotten worse in many ways.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I think you're correct in what you're saying but if this kid is crying and stomping around on the field, I wonder how he'll act if he has to sit there for an hour or so while everyone else gets to play?

In my daughter's old school, there was a kid like this in her class. OMG... none of the other kids wanted anything to do with him. What a PAIN! He would cry any time they had a group activity if he didn't get the ball or whatever. It got to the point where no one wanted to be around him and he wasn't invited to any parties or get-togethers (after ruining one kid's party by crying and stomping around because he didn't win some party game). My daughter is out of that school now but, from what I understand, this kid has only gotten worse in many ways.
I guess I am coming from a mindset of "the child has to learn at some point"...it may come better coming from a coach than his parents. This is definitely a personality trait that should be dealt with earlier rather than later because the other children will definitely remember his actions and he will have one heck of a time socially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting