Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I want clothes for Christmas.
Clothes and money.
I NEED clothes.
Everything I have is from when I was like 17/18 and I look retarded.
Minus 2-3 pairs of jeans and a handful of shirts everything else needs to be sold and I need new stuff.

So hopefully clothes and money to put in my savings account.

I hope you have a stove for all that coal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Like we did as kids, ours get one 'big' gift and maybe a couple of small additions. The gifts have ranged from a bike to a Nintendo DS to a DVD player. My daughter wil ask for things her friends have and she might get one or two if they aren't expensive.

The only other people we have to buy for are his parents and they usually tell us what they want from Amazon and we have it shipped since they are overseas.

We don't buy each other anything for Christmas, we usually buy one thing for the whole family such as a museum membership, or last year it was a new computer since our old one was getting tired and we got an amazing black Friday deal. Clothes, shoes and home goods don't count as gifts in our house !

Gah i hated getting clothes as a little kid.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Gah i hated getting clothes as a little kid.
I think giving clothes is OK if the child is an infant (they won't know the difference) and the parents NEED clothes for the child.

But last year my son (then 7) got a whole box of clothes from his grandmother (not my mom)...that was not ideal.

My mother refuses to buy my kids clothes because she says I dress them better than she could.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I think giving clothes is OK if the child is an infant (they won't know the difference) and the parents NEED clothes for the child.

But last year my son (then 7) got a whole box of clothes from his grandmother (not my mom)...that was not ideal.

My mother refuses to buy my kids clothes because she says I dress them better than she could.

Of course because gifts for kids under the age of 2 and bday parties are for the benefit of the parents and not the kids .

Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,063 times
Does anyone buy for adults? We have 3 children, so we focus on buying for them. We typically don't get anything for the adults in our extended families and some have gotten really ticked off about that. I don't care about getting anything...I'd much rather watch the kiddos open their gifts and get excited.

On my dad's side of the family, we draw names for the kids...I think that's a great idea...the kids buy for one child and they get to pick out the gift, with a price limit. It's fun for them.

We're not the type that buy a lot of toys throughout the year. Books yes. Toys not so much.

We've been criticized in the past for not buying for adults (seriously there are SO many of them). I think that when there's children involved, then it's more about them. I used to make gifts for the adults, but when I saw some of the gifts that I made end up in the garbage, I said NO MORE.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
Does anyone buy for adults? We have 3 children, so we focus on buying for them. We typically don't get anything for the adults in our extended families and some have gotten really ticked off about that. I don't care about getting anything...I'd much rather watch the kiddos open their gifts and get excited.

On my dad's side of the family, we draw names for the kids...I think that's a great idea...the kids buy for one child and they get to pick out the gift, with a price limit. It's fun for them.

We're not the type that buy a lot of toys throughout the year. Books yes. Toys not so much.

We've been criticized in the past for not buying for adults (seriously there are SO many of them). I think that when there's children involved, then it's more about them. I used to make gifts for the adults, but when I saw some of the gifts that I made end up in the garbage, I said NO MORE.
Ny ex and i would buy one small gift for eachother but saved bigger things for the year.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Re: Buying for adults

We, (brothers, sisters, good friends) decided we are all drowning under too much "stuff". And with times being what they are we also decided we wanted to help someone else. We make donations to various charities in each other's names. We also do not tell how much we donated. So no one feels obligated to match. We wrap up a card or a box with a note "A donation was made to XXX charity in your name". So they have something to upwrap. My DH and I buy presents for each other, but the days of going overboard are long gone.

I have adult children and we do buy for them. In fact the UPS man brought something I ordered from Disney.com for them just a few minutes ago. Woo-hoo! You are never too old for something from The Mouse House.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-23-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Re: Buying for adults

We, (brothers, sisters, good friends) decided we are all drowning under too much "stuff". And with times being what they are we also decided we wanted to help someone else. We make donations to various charities in each other's names. We also do not tell how much we donated. So no one feels obligated to match. We wrap up a card or a box with a note "A donation was made to XXX charity in your name". So they have something to upwrap. My DH and I buy presents for each other, but the days of going overboard are long gone.

I have adult children and we do buy for them. In fact the UPS man brought something I ordered from Disney.com for them just a few minutes ago. Woo-hoo! You are never too old for something from The Mouse House.

Next time use albris or amazon or ebay to save some money

Old 11-23-2010, 11:49 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Next time use albris or amazon or ebay to save some money
I have Disney connections and get a very nice discount. Double

(But thanks for the tip, paganmama!)

Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have Disney connections and get a very nice discount. Double

(But thanks for the tip, paganmama!)

n/p, i stopped shopping at the big stores years ago when i realized how much i could save. Actually often stuff at albris is used, but most of the time you can never tell . Great place for college textbooks as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting