Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 AM

251 posts, read 417,160 times

Advertisements

My family thinks he looks like me, her family thinks he looks like her.

My wife and I laugh over this, but I think its caused some division in the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 09:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
All the time. It seems everyone wants to figure out who the baby looks like. My son looks a lot like my wife and her father. My daughters look more like my wife, but have some of my features. As babies, they all looked like me, but as they got older that changed. One way we deal with it is to get pictures of my wife and I at the same age and put those next to a picture of the kid. That usually ends the "debate" real quick.

One other line that usually shuts them up is "the baby looks like the baby".

Old 10-05-2010, 09:51 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post

My wife and I laugh over this, but I think its caused some division in the family.
I beg your pardon? How has this caused "division in the family"? I think you're looking for problems, so you can complain about them, if not creating them for your own amusement.

Either that or you're enjoying using the kind people of CD as your very own psychological experiment.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM

251 posts, read 417,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I beg your pardon? How has this caused "division in the family"? I think you're looking for problems, so you can complain about them, if not creating them for your own amusement.

Either that or you're enjoying using the kind people of CD as your very own psychological experiment.
I meant division in the most minor way: differing opinions.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
I understand where you're coming from. Everyone (or most) always wants the baby looking like them or their family members. As a baby, my daughter looked just like my husband and sister. It bothered me at first, so I claimed her long legs as mine . As she got older, certain traits of me started to show. What's funny is my sister's daughter looks alot like me. Let you families enjoy playing the guessing game. Even if you don't agree w/ them, just smile.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post

Our little one is our foster, soon to be adopted, daughter so we don't have that problem. What is funny,though, is when strangers come up and tell us she looks just like us. It isn't even close...

Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM

812 posts, read 1,907,633 times
well I don't really look anything like my 2! They look exactly like their FATHER so when we are all together I get tons of comment from complete strangers of all sexes/ages about we know who their Daddy is!!! They all have light red hair. I get asked if the 2 and 4 yr old are twins at least a few times a week. The eldest boy is a head taller than my girl. So not a lot of arguing going on at my house.

My standard comment is I just incubate them and spit them out...or they got Daddy's looks and my personality!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I have an adopted daughter of a different race. I am used to getting all sorts of stares and comments which I usually ignore. But one time I had a great comeback I will share.

Lady" "She's so cute. She must look like her father."

Me: "I wouldn't know, I didn't get a good look at his face."

Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
No worries for us... my daughter's look just like my husband, but my son looks just like me. Personally, I think it's funny .

Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM

556 posts, read 798,148 times
Ours quibbles used to make me soooo mad! My oldest was born the SPITTING IMAGE of me. My MIL would NEVER EVER agree or admit it. She would say he looked like my husbands brother, great great grand cousin Shmedley, ANYONE but me. Then my second was born and is litterally a clone of my husband as a baby/toddler. I can openly and easily say he looks just like my husband (with some things that also resemble me and his brother, but mostly he looks like his dad) and only then did she start saying my oldest looks like.....MY BROTHER! Still not me! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting