Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times

Advertisements

A few things to consider: True preschools are geared to ages 3-5, run Sept-May and are 2-5 hours long, often only 2-3 days per week. They should be mostly centered around academics as their goal is to prepare the children for Kindergarten. If that's what you are looking for, then looking at that age group is where you should focus and not at toddler age groups.

If your child will be 18 months old and you are looking for a preschool for the future, but offers care at 18 months, then looking now may not be the best time to make a decision. Caregivers can change at moment's notice right alongside management. So what you see today, may be nothing like what will be there next year. Additionally your child may be totally different in a year than what you are currently expecting them to be.

In my experience a church that offers care for 18 month olds within their 'preschool', are actually offering a mother's day out type program for that age (which is what it should be) but want to pull in people with the term preschool. Toddlers are in need of daily personal care, social teachings, emotional and physical support far more than academic offerings. If that is what you are considering, then those are the things you should be looking for.

With that being said, a toddler class should be set up in a safe manner for those children who are truly 'toddling' along. Specifically the table and chairs should be an appropriate height for toddlers, meaning their feet should be able to touch the ground while sitting in the chair and the table should be between their waist and their breastbone. I would be more concerned if they were using tables and chairs meant for older children and with how the caregiver responded that I would be of the fact a child lost their balance. The caregiver could have been 10 inches from her with eyes looking right at her and not been able to prevent the fall, so the actual fall shouldn't be the issue.

One last note, ratio of staff to child change according to age. Florida's ratios are 4:1 under 18 months old, 6:1 18 - 26 months, 11:1 27-36 months and so on. However, I could not verify whether or not church sponsored child care is even regulated by state standards in Florida. They are not in Texas, so I would recommend finding our for sure if they even have to meet the state standards before choosing a church program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
A few things to consider: True preschools are geared to ages 3-5, run Sept-May and are 2-5 hours long, often only 2-3 days per week. They should be mostly centered around academics as their goal is to prepare the children for Kindergarten. If that's what you are looking for, then looking at that age group is where you should focus and not at toddler age groups.

If your child will be 18 months old and you are looking for a preschool for the future, but offers care at 18 months, then looking now may not be the best time to make a decision. Caregivers can change at moment's notice right alongside management. So what you see today, may be nothing like what will be there next year. Additionally your child may be totally different in a year than what you are currently expecting them to be.

In my experience a church that offers care for 18 month olds within their 'preschool', are actually offering a mother's day out type program for that age (which is what it should be) but want to pull in people with the term preschool. Toddlers are in need of daily personal care, social teachings, emotional and physical support far more than academic offerings. If that is what you are considering, then those are the things you should be looking for.

With that being said, a toddler class should be set up in a safe manner for those children who are truly 'toddling' along. Specifically the table and chairs should be an appropriate height for toddlers, meaning their feet should be able to touch the ground while sitting in the chair and the table should be between their waist and their breastbone. I would be more concerned if they were using tables and chairs meant for older children and with how the caregiver responded that I would be of the fact a child lost their balance. The caregiver could have been 10 inches from her with eyes looking right at her and not been able to prevent the fall, so the actual fall shouldn't be the issue.

One last note, ratio of staff to child change according to age. Florida's ratios are 4:1 under 18 months old, 6:1 18 - 26 months, 11:1 27-36 months and so on. However, I could not verify whether or not church sponsored child care is even regulated by state standards in Florida. They are not in Texas, so I would recommend finding our for sure if they even have to meet the state standards before choosing a church program.
Thanks Nana and Hypocore for this information. Nana, I couldn't rep you again.

Hypocore, my daughter will not officially start until she is 2.5 years old because that is when I have to go back to work. We were considering starting her at 2 years part-time 3 hours a day and then increasing from there. We want to make sure she will be fine even if that means me not going back to work. However, from what I can tell, she felt right at home at this specific location. Do you think I should just wait until she is 2.5 years old?

I do feel better now that the "preschool" does not focus on academics but rather cleanliness (they wash hands every time they enter the room and before eating) and things like sharing, social skills. The tables were designed for toddlers. Also, all of their teachers have been there for more than 5 years.

Okay, I am feeling better. If only I could convince them to change nap time to an earlier time.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Thanks Nana and Hypocore for this information. Nana, I couldn't rep you again.

Hypocore, my daughter will not officially start until she is 2.5 years old because that is when I have to go back to work. We were considering starting her at 2 years part-time 3 hours a day and then increasing from there. We want to make sure she will be fine even if that means me not going back to work. However, from what I can tell, she felt right at home at this specific location. Do you think I should just wait until she is 2.5 years old?

I do feel better now that the "preschool" does not focus on academics but rather cleanliness (they wash hands every time they enter the room and before eating) and things like sharing, social skills. The tables were designed for toddlers. Also, all of their teachers have been there for more than 5 years.

Okay, I am feeling better. If only I could convince them to change nap time to an earlier time.
How do they group their classes? I'd look at that to help decide. Depending on when they split for the next age up might make that decision for you, along with whether or not they are year round or just Sept-May.

If they are year round, they will move kids up as they age, so the grouping will change on several occasions, which means she may move up a class at 24 months, 30 months or 36 months. That also means she will be with children close within her age range and hitting most of the same milestones at about the same time.
So, when she change classes next would be a factor. You may not want her to start in one class and then change soon after.

If they follow the traditional school year, they usually stay where they are for the entire year. That means there could be many 18 yr olds mixed in with many 30 month olds, which isn't always a good mix. There is a huge difference in abilities between 18 and 30 months.

While it's great she felt at ease there, that doesn't mean she will in 6 or 12 months or that she will even if you went back a second time. Kids are very fickle in that respect. lol

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
How do they group their classes? I'd look at that to help decide. Depending on when they split for the next age up might make that decision for you, along with whether or not they are year round or just Sept-May.

If they are year round, they will move kids up as they age, so the grouping will change on several occasions, which means she may move up a class at 24 months, 30 months or 36 months. That also means she will be with children close within her age range and hitting most of the same milestones at about the same time.
So, when she change classes next would be a factor. You may not want her to start in one class and then change soon after.

If they follow the traditional school year, they usually stay where they are for the entire year. That means there could be many 18 yr olds mixed in with many 30 month olds, which isn't always a good mix. There is a huge difference in abilities between 18 and 30 months.

While it's great she felt at ease there, that doesn't mean she will in 6 or 12 months or that she will even if you went back a second time. Kids are very fickle in that respect. lol
They do follow the traditional school year and, yes, that did bother me but I believe all of them do. Well, we are sticking with our plan to start her part-time and go from there. She is still nursing so it is important that the day time weaning is gradual and not sudden.

I do think she will be fine. From what the director and teachers told me, my confident attitude helped tremendously. They don't mind if I want to be there all day (I wont be). That is rare. Many preschools wanted me to just drop her off and leave. Heck, my daughter still bawls when I leave her with her dad to go out.

I told my husband that I imagined my daughter coming to me at my age and saying, "Mom, what should I do? I don't want to lose my job but I don't want to send my child to day care so soon." I would probably tell her to forget the job. Not so easy.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
They do follow the traditional school year and, yes, that did bother me but I believe all of them do. Well, we are sticking with our plan to start her part-time and go from there. She is still nursing so it is important that the day time weaning is gradual and not sudden.

I do think she will be fine. From what the director and teachers told me, my confident attitude helped tremendously. They don't mind if I want to be there all day (I wont be). That is rare. Many preschools wanted me to just drop her off and leave. Heck, my daughter still bawls when I leave her with her dad to go out.

I told my husband that I imagined my daughter coming to me at my age and saying, "Mom, what should I do? I don't want to lose my job but I don't want to send my child to day care so soon." I would probably tell her to forget the job. Not so easy.

Thanks for the tips.
You are welcome, hope some were indeed helpful.

Some things I learned early on in this business (early childhood education/child care) are
- There are soooooooooooo many different types available (preschool, mother's day out, centers, homes, family atmospheres, babysitting, academy)
- Some issues are deal breakers with parents or providers (cost, location, ratio, food, academics, field trips, amenities)
- Some think they want something specific and soon discover it's not what they thought (wanted small group, discovered limited resources, wanted low cost, discovered babysitting going on, wanted high class, discovered fluff supporting expensive materials)
- Time changes things (need nurturing for babies, opportunities for exploration for toddlers, expanding learning for preschoolers)
- Every place is not a one size fits all.
- Each place/provider does something very well, but not necessarily everything.
- Sometimes finding the perfect place takes trial and error no matter how much research one does.

I've got a family coming for an interview this weekend because they do not like where their baby is currently and I was recommended by a parent whose baby I care for right now. They already know my one deal breaker and have no problem with it (Their child has to be able to go with me wherever I go-my kids school, errands etc) They thought they had the perfect place, and now are looking for something different. We'll see if it is me!

Anyway, good luck!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Good news. I found another preschool, it is amazing how changing keywords in a Google search can turn up different day cares. This preschool/day care separates younger from older two year olds because of the huge differences in abilities.

So when my daughter starts at 24 months, she will be grouped with others aged 24 months to 30 months.
Also, their nap times match ours

Old 10-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Good news. I found another preschool, it is amazing how changing keywords in a Google search can turn up different day cares. This preschool/day care separates younger from older two year olds because of the huge differences in abilities.

So when my daughter starts at 24 months, she will be grouped with others aged 24 months to 30 months.
Also, their nap times match ours
That is good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting