Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:40 AM

468 posts, read 1,542,184 times

Advertisements

Every evening I take my dog for a walk around the neighborhood. My dog is very friendly and has never met a person, or another animal, that she didn't like.

When we go for our walks I rarely ever take the exact same path. I like to go down different streets. Almost every child we "meet" wants to pet my dog. Some will ask first. Some will just come running up. For those that come running up I make them stop and tell them to never run up to a stray dog, and to always ask before petting an animal.

Last night my daughter, and I, were taking my dog for a walk. As we were walking down a side street there were two young girls playing in the front yard of a house. They both asked, "Can we pet your dog?"

I told them, Yes, and that they did the right thing by asking first.

These two girls were probably 7 or 8 years old. One girl was slightly ahead of the second girl when they walked up to my dog. Naturally my dog went to the girl who arrived first. This first girl was petting my dog and enjoying the "dog kisses" that she was getting.

The second girl was standing there, but didn't reach out her hand to pet my dog. Then she said something that really bothered me.

She said, "I guess your dog doesn't like me because I'm black." (The other girl was white) Then she turned and started to walk back towards the house.

I said, "Whoa. Wait a minute. You know better than to say something like that. Of course my dog likes you. All you have to do is reach out and pet her."

So, the little girl came back and reached out to pet my dog. My dog started giving her "dog kisses" as well, and nuzzled up against the little girl wanting even more pats on her head.

I said, "See? She likes you just fine." Then both girls went back to playing in the front yard.

As my daughter, and I, started to walk my dog again my daughter said, "What was that all about?"

I told her I didn't know for sure. But, what kind of statement is that for a 7 year old child to make?

Seems to me she was just mimicking something an adult (perhaps her own parents) have told her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
I'm sure she's getting the "people don't like me because I'm black vibe from her parents". Poor girl. I feel sorry for her. You handled the situation wonderfully. I'm sure you made the girl's day

Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Based on what I've witnessed as we traveled the country, the little girl has a pretty good intuition about her reception in her world. We whites have a fairly consistent history of making people of color feel unwelcome in "our" world.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
This sort of thing makes me crazy because I want to wave a magic wand and make the world a perfect place.

I think the reality is that some people's dogs do treat people of another race differently. (This goes both ways.)

I'm not saying dogs are racist. I'm saying that some dogs represent their owners' racism either intentionally or untentionally on the owers' parts.

The 7 year old probably was told that by another adult when they encountered a mean dog in the past in an attempt to teach the child about safety.

Is that wrong? It sure doesn't help stop racial tension.

A parent of any race can simply teach their children how to identify the signs of dangerous dogs without putting a racial spin on it.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Based on what I've witnessed as we traveled the country, the little girl has a pretty good intuition about her reception in her world. We whites have a fairly consistent history of making people of color feel unwelcome in "our" world.

*rolls eyes*

Old 10-06-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm sure she's getting the "people don't like me because I'm black vibe from her parents". Poor girl. I feel sorry for her. You handled the situation wonderfully. I'm sure you made the girl's day

Thanks. I hope I did.

I guess my protective "Dad" side came out when she said that.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Well, hopefully, I broke your perceived "consistant history" when I showed her that my dog liked her just fine.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
It's a sad story, and I agree with earlier posts: she very well may be reacting to a "be wary of white people" vibe from her parents, OR, it could be that her parents aren't like that in the least, and she just did have an encounter with another dog sometime who was nervous of her because of her skin color.

My husband and I are both white, so we were horrified when our then-young pet bird was too frightened to initially sit on the finger of one of a black friend. This was, of course, after we'd talked up how friendly he was. He got over it quickly, but initially he was just scared because our fingers WERE different colors. It wasn't racism -- it was just that until that point he'd been around us and a couple of white neighbors.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
There could be a lot of things going on...

She could be being made fun of at school for being black.

She may have been warned by her parents about how she may be treated based on her skin color.

She may have just assumed because she was different than the rest of you, the dog didn't like her.

Hard to say.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It's a sad story, and I agree with earlier posts: she very well may be reacting to a "be wary of white people" vibe from her parents, OR, it could be that her parents aren't like that in the least, and she just did have an encounter with another dog sometime who was nervous of her because of her skin color.

My husband and I are both white, so we were horrified when our then-young pet bird was too frightened to initially sit on the finger of one of a black friend. This was, of course, after we'd talked up how friendly he was. He got over it quickly, but initially he was just scared because our fingers WERE different colors. It wasn't racism -- it was just that until that point he'd been around us and a couple of white neighbors.

I don't think the child, or even the child's parents, are racists. Afterall, she was playing with another white child.

And, my dog wasn't growling, barking, whining, backing off, or anything at all towards this little girl. The little girl simply didn't make any effort to pet my dog, so naturally my dog showed affection to the other little girl that did make the effort.

Yes, it could be that this little girl was afraid of my dog at first. For whatever reason. But, it was her comment that had me concerned.

She didn't say, "Will your dog bite me?" Or, "I'm afraid of your dog." Or, "Is your dog mean?"

She said, "I guess your dog doesn't like me because I'm black."

So, I quickly showed her that what she said wasn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting