Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:02 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's so many people in this thread I want to rep, but I need to spread the love around before I can rep any of you!

Me 2 Hopes!!!!

I used to do the "Monster Hunt" with a spray bottle of blue colored Monster Killer Spray. It was water with a couple of drops of blue food coloring. After I had "hunted" with her I left the bottle on her side table. I don't think she ever used it herself. If she did she didn't tell me.
Ours wasn't to get her out of our bed, she was just scared of the monsters. Of course it didn't help that hubby told her that she had a friendly monster living under her bed named "Freddy". I could have killed him. Then we had to make rules for "Freddy" like, No feet grabbing, Can't come out when she is sleeping, God I don't remember them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtanyc View Post
you're all right. i think i will try the super nanny approach first. but lisalan is right - i have my other son to worry about. we'll see how it goes. thanks for all the responses - i feel less desperate

Thank-you. It may work it you have one child but throw another child into the mix and the whole household is awake. Sometimes you have to choose your battles.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Thank-you. It may work it you have one child but throw another child into the mix and the whole household is awake. Sometimes you ahve to choose your battles.
I guess you have to weigh a couple of days/nights of discomfort vs not sleeping well for a couple of more years because there is an additional person in your bed. Me - I'd go for a couple of days of inconvenience followed by some good sleeping and privacy.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
AnonChick gives great advice. Definitely address this now. Don't wait for an age of reason. There's no reasoning at any age for this issue. My sister had a 12 year old who was still coming into her room and sleeping on her floor. As a result, I know first hand that putting his mattress in your bedroom isn't going to solve anything either. By doing that, you might get him out of your bed, but you won't get him out of your room. You're going to have to put up with the crying. It's the only way. The only other alternative is to carry him to his bed after he falls asleep. That will free up your bed for sleeping, but it won't solve the long term problem that could last for years if you don't take the firm approach now.

Nope sorry. There is an age of reason. My son was 6 when he understood that he had to sleep in his own bed and why. One nightafter many talks with him he just said "Mommy I'm going to sleep in my own bed."

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-09-2010 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
This is how most co-sleepers I know have transitioned their kids out of their beds and eventually into their own rooms. If your husband changes his mind you could try and make it fun for your son by creating a fort or a nest for his mattress on the floor or his bed so that he'll actually sleep in it instead of in your bed. Eventually he'll reach an age where he won't want to sleep in your room. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Whoa. I totally disagree. My Aunt and Uncle were the family bed family, then the kids got too big so they did (this cheating option, imo) of putting matt-resses on the floor for BOTH of their boys.

Guess what?

Older boy didn't start sleeping in his own room until 16!!!!

Younger one who is 16 now is STILL in there.

And btw, aunt and uncle are divorcing now.

Can't say that this was the sole reason, but it sure was one of them.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 AM

That makes no sense. Why would a 16 year old want to sleep in the same room as his parents For goodness sakes do his parents have no backbone whatsoever? Its not like they are dealing with a young child here. Tell the teenager to get out and put locks on the master bedroom door. Geez

Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
That makes no sense. Why would a 16 year old want to sleep in the same room as his parents For goodness sakes do his parents have no backbone whatsoever? Its not like they are dealing with a young child here. Tell the teenager to get out and put locks on the master bedroom door. Geez
Backbone does not all of a sudden materialize when one has teens. It starts with being consistent when they are small children. Even (especially) when it is challenging and not the easiest thing to do. It's a heck of a lot easier to deal with a tantruming 4 or 5 yo than a 15 or 16 yo that has learned that his/her parents will relent rather than deal with a challenging situation.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 AM

I know huh?

When I was their nanny, with the older child as an infant. They started bringing him into the bed at night even after I had put the kid to sleep in his CRIB in his OWN room!!!!

They would wake him up and bring him into bed with them! (They both worked too much and figured this was their only time with the kids) how sad huh?

And yes, they have NO backbone, they were the masters of their own disaster.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 AM

but he's 16. Put locks on the bedroom door or threaten to tell all his friends that he sleeps in the same room as mommy and daddy. LOL

Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 AM

I hear you, but really it's a twisted family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting