Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,582,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Teach them to accept responsibility for their mistakes and not point fingers at other people.
I agree 100% learning to take responsiblity for yourself and your actions are the core of a good work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Great point, Mightyqueen!! SO many children are never guilty of anything, it's always someone elses fault. "I can't because she...." This wouldn't go over too well in a real job. Taking resposibility is extreamly important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree 100% learning to take responsiblity for yourself and your actions are the core of a good work ethic.
I just learned a long time ago that the point is to get the job done, and if I make a mistake, it's so much simpler to just say, "That was my error, I'm sorry" and move on.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM

821 posts, read 2,034,846 times
I know a family that the mom would never let her kids work at a Food store, resturant, clothing store or any other "Kid Friendly type Jobs" She always told them that they were too good to be working at those types of jobs. Because of this her children really had problems working. They didnt start working till they were in the late teens early twenty's and even with that there was always some excuse like they dont pay me enough... Could you believe they want me to make copies all day...LOL I always told them they act like they want to become president of the company the first day they are hired.

My mother taught her children that just as long as your doing a honest day work and that being independent and self suffient is what matters. I'm really blessed to have a good job but it anything were to happen I would have no problem working at a store or fast food place or where ever just as long as I can say I'm doing my very best in supporting my family I can hold my head up high... And I hope to instill those values into my children.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
I've heard the same thing...my DD went to school with a group of kids who were very very bright. Some of the parents believed their kids should never have to work at such a "menial" job because they were going to XX University and their careers would always be more than Target or McDonalds...I never understood that. I think some very valuable lessons can be learned working at those kinds of jobs. There are lessons to be learned in most every experience.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,580,565 times
My parents let me join 4H. Through 4H, I was able to manage my own projects, develop responsibility and learn valuable leadership skills. If you want to see responsible teenagers, just look at those involved with projects through 4H.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:44 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,664,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We often hear that our kids need to have a good work ethic to succeed in life.

What are the characteristics of a good work ethic?

How can a parent best develop a positive work ethic in a child?
Early on, give them a 'job' that they get paid for, so that they can grasp the concept of work = pay. You'd be surprised how fast kids understand having a good work ethic when they're able to take their earnings to the store and buy something they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting