Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:28 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

As a Mom, that's one of the things I liked most about breastfeeding. I co-slept so I didn't' have to get out of bed or open my eyes to feed my baby.
Breast fed babies don't need diaper changes before or after a feeding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

There was even a formula available before the 1950s----Nutramigen was the commercial formula in the 1940s.
That's interesting. I had never heard of Nutramigen until I needed it!

Was Nutramigen the same then as it is today? Broken down, super easy for baby to digest?

I had one baby on Nutramigen, one on Alimentum and one on EleCare - and insurance picked up the cost of all 3. The highest $ being the EleCare.

No ear infections, no allergies that their 7 breast fed cousins (one until 3 years old) don't also have. Except for cats and dogs. But we don't have cats or dogs while everyone else does.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:07 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Breast fed babies don't need diaper changes before or after a feeding?
Not everytime, no. I change mine when they are dirty (very rare to happen overnight- plus breastfed babies can go for days without a poop) or noticeably wet, but not just because they ate. This means I rarely needed to change them overnight (from when I went to bed about 10pm to when they woke for a prolonged time at 6am or so).

Old 10-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Not everytime, no. I change mine when they are dirty (very rare to happen overnight- plus breastfed babies can go for days without a poop) or noticeably wet, but not just because they ate. This means I rarely needed to change them overnight (from when I went to bed about 10pm to when they woke for a prolonged time at 6am or so).
Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Interesting. My breastfed babies did that, but not until they were a little older. As newborns, they pooped almost every time they were fed, so I did have to change them.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
My newborn pooped every time he ate when he was breastfeeding.

He wouldn't eat until I changed his diaper, then after eating he wanted another clean diaper which he would then poop in, requiring diaper change no 3. Per feed!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interesting. My breastfed babies did that, but not until they were a little older. As newborns, they pooped almost every time they were fed, so I did have to change them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
My newborn pooped every time he ate when he was breastfeeding.

He wouldn't eat until I changed his diaper, then after eating he wanted another clean diaper which he would then poop in, requiring diaper change no 3. Per feed!
This is typical of newborns. As their digestive system matures, they stop pooping at night, and then as someone noted, some breast fed babies don't go very often at all. Sometimes they go many days between BMs.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
The formula you buy usually has dha and ara which are omega 3 fatty acids. They help with brain and eye development among other things. I'm not sure what your mom put in the homemade formula.
Anyways they say breast milk is better but formula is not poison.
a good method..

Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I have 3 kids of my own and formula fed or breast fed can be a topic that always has a lot of debate. Often one will say their method is the better one. And so it goes on and on. More interestingly is that often you will hear on the news that doctors say formula is better and than a year or two later they go back to saying breast milk is better. It really is quite interesting.

Here are some great articles about breast feeding, bottle feeding and weaning your baby onto solid foods.

Baby Feeding | Your Baby Guide

Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
anyone get a baby formula covered by insurance? my insurance company said they cover it but my doctor refused to write a prescription. the nurse at the doctors office claimed there are hoops to jump through (trying multiple formulas, showing medical issues like bloody stool, etc.) before getting the prescription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting