Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
People are turning this into bashing and I don't bash others, so you guys can keep it going if you like, however, I think I will have to think twice again about starting a thread in the parenting forumn again because there are way too many women out there who obviously have very strong opinions and feel that everyone's thoughts are wrong, needy,etc...
It's hillarious that you can't see that your first post was just as strongly opinionated. You think the people you are judging are whiney people. You fail to see that you are being VERY judgemental. And you knew darn well that you were starting a SAHM vs working mother war when you started this thread. You admitted it in your very first sentence!

Quote:
It's kind of sad actually that people can't see outside the box here.
You're the one who can't see outside of the box.

Quote:
As I said, I knew it would probably start a "war" again, but my hope was that it wouldn't because it wasn't the intent.
No! You said, "Oh well." Like you could care less because you just had to have your rant regardless.

I want to thank you. You've given me many laughs tonight. I've been very entertained. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
My first post was for the OP. The drunken coke ***** was for the emotionally needy child who needs a hug.

Look, you are a SAHM so are obviously more offended by the coke *****. I was a working Mom so I am obviously going to be more offended by the needy child. We can go round and round all night.
So is this really your experience or did you just make it up in an effort to get back at the poster who made the "emotionally needy" comments?

Quote:
Funny thing about your "experience" of what kind of children they become, becuase mine has been that the kids of stay at home moms are bratty, spoiled, whiny little kids who grow up to be the coke heads, drunks and sluts once their helicopter parents send them off to college.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
So is this really your experience or did you just make it up in an effort to get back at the poster who made the "emotionally needy" comments?
Is it my experience that the kids of SAHM's are generally brattier? Yes. Did I need to say it and be so nasty about it? No.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:02 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,943 times
This thread is full of stereotypes. Kids of stay at home mom's are not brattier and neither are those of wahm. There can be bratty kids on both sides of the camp. There is really no need to generalize.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,300 times
Quote:
Is it my experience that the kids of SAHM's are generally brattier? Yes. Did I need to say it and be so nasty about it? No.
Hmmm... yet every teacher I've ever spoken to has made the comment that it's obvious which children have moms at home because they are BETTER behaved.

Most, not all, children in a daycare situation are in an "institutional" daycare situation - ie, Kindercare. Some woman has a child, and when that baby is 8 weeks old, they spend 30 minutes or so speaking with the administration of that daycare before enrolling their child. They rarely, if ever, meet any of the revolving women actually working WITH their child.

These centers spend a lot of time and money convincing women that you aren't damaging your child by dropping them off... for instance, they are all now called 'preschool' centers. I remember a cousin talking about how much her son loved "school" and how bored he would be if he "had to" be at home all day. First off, if he would've been bored, that would've been ON MOM. Second, what part of "school" do you think he most enjoyed at the age of 5 MONTHS? Was it the drooling class perhaps ? He never cried. Why would he? He was taught in 10 hour segments everyday that no one responds when you do.

People LOVE to brag about their long work schedules - 40+ a week, plus 30 mins each day for lunch. In discussions like this however, they don't like to acknowledge that they drop their children off at daycare 30-60 minutes before their own workday starts and pick them up 30-60 minutes afterward. An 8 hour workday, with a 30 minute lunch and 30 minute commute (including the time to drop off the kids and get yourself to work - really cutting it close) leaves a child, as young as 8 WEEKS old in someone else's care for at least 9 1/2 hours a day. Why don't career moms ever want to acknowledge their TRUE schedule? Our former next door neighbor and I had a heated discussion about this where she said she spent almost as much time with her daughter as I did mine, when they were 2. But daddy got her daughter up at 5:30am each day to feed and dress her, then drop her off at daycare at 6am on his way to work. Mommy picked her up at 5:30pm Mon thru Friday. That's 11 1/2 hours A DAY in SOMEONE ELSE'S care. In their care, she had gone back to work when her daughter was 18 months old because she was "bored". Nice lesson for her daughter, "You bore me, I'd rather work for 11 1/2 hours a day than be with you".

The fact is, if you have to work, you have to work. Many people though fall into this 'two income' mindset and can't imagine any other way. Add to that they don't really want to be parents full time and as a result, you get this entitled generation that is emerging, college age young 'adults'- the kids of the first big daycare wave of the 80s.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:18 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Hmmm... yet every teacher I've ever spoken to has made the comment that it's obvious which children have moms at home because they are BETTER behaved.

Most, not all, children in a daycare situation are in an "institutional" daycare situation - ie, Kindercare. Some woman has a child, and when that baby is 8 weeks old, they spend 30 minutes or so speaking with the administration of that daycare before enrolling their child. They rarely, if ever, meet any of the revolving women actually working WITH their child.

These centers spend a lot of time and money convincing women that you aren't damaging your child by dropping them off... for instance, they are all now called 'preschool' centers. I remember a cousin talking about how much her son loved "school" and how bored he would be if he "had to" be at home all day. First off, if he would've been bored, that would've been ON MOM. Second, what part of "school" do you think he most enjoyed at the age of 5 MONTHS? Was it the drooling class perhaps ? He never cried. Why would he? He was taught in 10 hour segments everyday that no one responds when you do.

People LOVE to brag about their long work schedules - 40+ a week, plus 30 mins each day for lunch. In discussions like this however, they don't like to acknowledge that they drop their children off at daycare 30-60 minutes before their own workday starts and pick them up 30-60 minutes afterward. An 8 hour workday, with a 30 minute lunch and 30 minute commute (including the time to drop off the kids and get yourself to work - really cutting it close) leaves a child, as young as 8 WEEKS old in someone else's care for at least 9 1/2 hours a day. Why don't career moms ever want to acknowledge their TRUE schedule? Our former next door neighbor and I had a heated discussion about this where she said she spent almost as much time with her daughter as I did mine, when they were 2. But daddy got her daughter up at 5:30am each day to feed and dress her, then drop her off at daycare at 6am on his way to work. Mommy picked her up at 5:30pm Mon thru Friday. That's 11 1/2 hours A DAY in SOMEONE ELSE'S care. In their care, she had gone back to work when her daughter was 18 months old because she was "bored". Nice lesson for her daughter, "You bore me, I'd rather work for 11 1/2 hours a day than be with you".

The fact is, if you have to work, you have to work. Many people though fall into this 'two income' mindset and can't imagine any other way. Add to that they don't really want to be parents full time and as a result, you get this entitled generation that is emerging, college age young 'adults'- the kids of the first big daycare wave of the 80s.
My 3 friends who are teachers would strongly disagree with you. They also wouldn't gossip to another parent. They complain to me but my kids are not in their schools.

In any case, this arguement will go nowhere. You obviously know all there is to know about good parenting. I am sure your children will grow up with a nice healthy, non-judgemental attitude and completely accepting of others.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:44 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,058 times
Maybe some moms work because they have to pay for a home in another state that they can't sell and it's draining all of their savings?

Maybe the mom puts her entire paycheck into a college savings account? Maybe all of her paychecks fund the vacation jar or a monthly dinner out at a nice restaurant followed by a play. Maybe it makes her feel good to earn her own money.

People who work are busy. SAHMs are busy. I'm sure there are times that SAHMs don't respond to emails in a timely manner because they are dealing with an issue with the baby. Well, working people have their situations to deal with too.

There are people who thrive on being crazy busy whether it is with a job or with children. Saying that one is too busy to do something doesn't necessarily mean they are unhappy with being in that state.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

Mothers started FLOODING the workforce in the 1970s. That would make their children at least 30-40. Hardly the emerging college age young adult you describe above. In fact, I'm 45 and my brother is 41 and our mother returned to work in the 1970s. So many forty somethings has working mothers.

I can't understand why anyone would get so upset at whether someone else decides to work, or co sleep, or breastfeed, or spank or any other parenting issue. There is no one right way to raise a family.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:15 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,490,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Maybe some moms work because they have to pay for a home in another state that they can't sell and it's draining all of their savings?

Maybe the mom puts her entire paycheck into a college savings account? Maybe all of her paychecks fund the vacation jar or a monthly dinner out at a nice restaurant followed by a play. Maybe it makes her feel good to earn her own money.

People who work are busy. SAHMs are busy. I'm sure there are times that SAHMs don't respond to emails in a timely manner because they are dealing with an issue with the baby. Well, working people have their situations to deal with too.

There are people who thrive on being crazy busy whether it is with a job or with children. Saying that one is too busy to do something doesn't necessarily mean they are unhappy with being in that state.
That situation is not fun! we just sold our house after 2 years due to a relocation. I did look briefly, but it was impossible to find a job... we just had to sacrifice even more during that time. We are still trying to catch up from that huge loss.

I agree, there are people who thrive on being crazy busy-their choice.
I just can't stand to hear about it, people make choices to enroll their kids into thousands of activities and to run all over the place during the week,on the weekends,etc... but they made that choice. No one forced them to do so.
I just don't want to hear it all.....

Old 10-15-2010, 08:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,300 times
Quote:
My 3 friends who are teachers would strongly disagree with you. They also wouldn't gossip to another parent. They complain to me but my kids are not in their schools.

In any case, this arguement will go nowhere. You obviously know all there is to know about good parenting. I am sure your children will grow up with a nice healthy, non-judgemental attitude and completely accepting of others.
Oh, I certainly hope they do not grow up to be completely accepting of others... I have taught them better than that!

Now, you raise your children to be "completely accepting", but I'll teach my kids right from wrong - like lying is wrong, adultery is wrong, murder is wrong, child molestation is wrong - and the people who commit these things are sick individuals who you do not accept.

But you feel free to raise a "non judgmental" child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.