Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you kiss your kids on the lips?
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Why wouldn't parents kiss their kids on the lips? Isn't that what all parents do? You know, kiss their kids on the lips to show their love? Apparently, some people find the idea of a parent kissing his or her son or daughter on the lips deranged and disgusting. But who?

Should parents kiss their kids on the lips? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Yes. We do. We are a very affectionate family. We snuggle, hug and kiss a whole lot. I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:27 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Why wouldn't parents kiss their kids on the lips? Isn't that what all parents do? You know, kiss their kids on the lips to show their love? Apparently, some people find the idea of a parent kissing his or her son or daughter on the lips deranged and disgusting. But who?

Should parents kiss their kids on the lips? - CNN.com

Why not. We kiss everyone in our family on the lips. Aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters, moms, dads, grandparents, in-laws, etc. Of course we're a larger Italian family and that's how we do it.

busta

Old 10-16-2010, 10:55 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
We where always a cheek kissing family.

I remember once when I was little I saw two people kissing on tv. Like REALLY kissing. Then I tried to kiss my mom like that, because I loved her right? Then she had to explain to me thats how mommies kiss daddies, and not how Emmys kiss their mommies.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
I kissed my daughter on the lips as a baby but just a peck, ive seen mothers look like they were making out with there children.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I do not kiss my children on the lips. When they were infants, I didn't want to spread my germs to them. As 3 or 4 year olds, I recalling kissing them on the lips a few times because they wanted to kiss me on the lips----just a quick kiss. I don't think it's appropriate for adults to initiate kissing young children on the lips. It's their personal space. It's not something an adult should automatically take from them. It has to be something children initiate.

We're very affectionate family though. I kiss my children everywhere else on their faces (foreheads mostly but sometimes cheeks and noses), anywhere on their heads (usually the top), their arms, their hands. I ruffle their hair. LOL I hug them ALL THE TIME, multiple times a day. I'm very affectionate. There isn't a day that goes by without my children getting hugs and kisses----even still as adults now. But kissing on the lips is not something I do with my children (who are now adults). To me, kissing on the lips is sexual.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 PM

Why are lips personal space but cheeks and hands and hair and noses aren't???

Old 10-16-2010, 11:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
I see no problem with it. However, in our American culture I would suggest it not continue past a certain age. It will start to look weird to others.

I do kiss my niece on the lips. It started when she was very young. When she was quite young my sister taught her the "eskimo kiss." You know, that's when you rub your noses. So, I would hug her, kiss her, and have an "eskimo kiss." It just became habit, and that's still how we greet each other. I do not have to initiate the kiss, either. Once she gets her hug, she's ready for her kiss.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I see no problem with it. However, in our American culture I would suggest it not continue past a certain age. It will start to look weird to others.

I do kiss my niece on the lips. It started when she was very young. When she was quite young my sister taught her the "eskimo kiss." You know, that's when you rub your noses. So, I would hug her, kiss her, and have an "eskimo kiss." It just became habit, and that's still how we greet each other. I do not have to initiate the kiss, either. Once she gets her hug, she's ready for her kiss.
My older son does an "Eskimo American" kiss (his words). That's when we kiss on the lips and our nose tips touch LOL.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why are lips personal space but cheeks and hands and hair and noses aren't???
Because I consider kissing on the LIPS as sexual. The other places, I do not consider sexual. You might not agree. That's your choice. How I feel about it is my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting