Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
If YOU feel it is not the best decision for YOU, do not do it! I don't think there is anything wrong with having one child. In many important ways, it would make life easier and less stressful, nothing wrong with that! After having my first at 40, I KNEW, 100% that I would like another. There was no question in my mind. If you do not have those strong feelings about it and are satisfied and happy with your family, be done, call it a day, don't look back, don't regret your decision.
I think this is very good advice...however, I know of more than a few families with one child that sorely regret not having another. So, I don't know what the best advice would be...that is a very hard regret to have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 AM

275 posts, read 773,250 times
Hi everyone, this is husband My wife left this page open
I didn`t relize that I have pressured my wife for a second child Sometimes we share our thoughts about being only child, while watching our son playing alone by himself and do some jokes about second child but I never wanted a second child so seriously.
That`s true after we`re gone he will be alone by himself but that doesn`t mean he will be unhappy. I have a little brother but we always fought and didn`t get along until I leave home for Air Force Academy when I was 19.
Life is not the same as our parents` time. They could support multiple children and they did it. Our responsibility is to raise our children good as much as possible. You can`t bring another human being to this world knowing that you are not gonna be able to afford. I wish we could afford another child. But we will give our everything and all the support we can to our only child. I`m sure he will be very happy

And also, after seeing how hard pregnancy is for women, I can`t ask her another children just because I`m still producing sperms pregnancy is nothing for us men, you women carry all the burden.

Last edited by ladyvictoria; 10-18-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
Hi everyone,

I am almost 40 and I have a wonderful 4 year old. He is a beautiful child and he was such an easy baby. My husband wants a second child but I think I have missed the chance. At age 40, it would be really hard for me emotionally, physically and also financially to get pregnant again. Yet, I can't help but be upset when I think about my son and his future. Most mothers I know with an only child regret the fact that they did not have a second. Would you agree with that?
Nope.

I had only one. Would have liked to have more, but the marriage didn't work out. She turned out to be a good person, and she was not "lonely" at all. From the benefit of hindsight (and with an only child who is now grown), it worked out for the best that I only had one child. She isn't lacking in anything, and she has cousins and friends. She's more mature and compassionate than most kids her age, as well.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
The scary thing for me about only having one child is that it's like putting ALL your eggs in one single basket. All your hopes for the future are pinned on that one child (which is a pretty huge burden on them too if you think about it).

If something happens to that child and you don't have other children I can only imagine how hard it would be to not crawl in that coffin with your only child. Of course that is the extreme, but it does happen. And if it had happened to me I don't know if I could have recovered. But maybe that's just me.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:12 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
No regrets here! I love the fact that I've been able to walk hand in hand through every stage of my daughter's life. I love the fact that we've been able to provide private school when she was little, afford the dancing and recitals for years, pay for horse lessons and have a college fund set up.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
No regrets here! I love the fact that I've been able to walk hand in hand through every stage of my daughter's life. I love the fact that we've been able to provide private school when she was little, afford the dancing and recitals for years, pay for horse lessons and have a college fund set up.
Watch out for that! My daughter just transferred to a college with an equestrian team, and I'm still paying for the horse lessons!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
We have an only child. He's now 17. I've asked before if he ever wished he had siblings. His answer was absolutely "no!". He enjoys being an only child. We've been able to provide him with more opportunities than we would have been able to if we had more. I grew up with 3 siblings - and yes, we are close. My husband has 1 sister who he has nothing in common with and we see occasionally. They are not close. It's all a gamble.

You can ask for a ton of opinions, but only you will know if you are in a place to have another. If you feel you aren't emotionally able, then don't. Simple as that.
Our daughter also loves being an only. I also grew up w/ siblings. I was the youngest and often felt very lonely and left out. Now as an adult, I rarely even speak to my brother. I think it would be easier having one person handle the parent's estate than the fighting and greed that goes on among siblings.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Watch out for that! My daughter just transferred to a college with an equestrian team, and I'm still paying for the horse lessons!
I'm afraid we'll be paying for lessons for quite some time. She loves riding English and would ride more if she wasn't so involved in band.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Our daughter also loves being an only. I also grew up w/ siblings. I was the youngest and often felt very lonely and left out. Now as an adult, I rarely even speak to my brother. I think it would be easier having one person handle the parent's estate than the fighting and greed that goes on among siblings.
I am one of seven, six of us still living.

I don't see my siblings all that often. We really don't have a lot in common with one another besides a tendency to break out in psoriasis under stress, but we do get together at least twice year--at the holidays and in the summertime. That is the only time I see two of them, and no, they don't live that far away. They are just not "family" people.

The first five of us each had one child. The last two, now both men in their forties, have no children and never will, by choice.

Just because you are from a big family doesn't mean growing up was like The Waltons.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM

90 posts, read 294,146 times
I am an only child... I had a very happy childhood. I had many close friends as a child, so I was never wanting for playmates. My mom recently told me (I'm 23 now) that they had tried to have another child, but as she was already 38 when she had me, it just never happened. I was mildly horrified by the idea. No, I am quite happy to have grown up as an only child!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting