Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Yeeeeah… no. That isn’t going to happen. I don’t like the thought of it (nor can I afford it) and he wouldn’t go for it. Trust me, it just wouldn’t happen. Thank you anyway.

I am 30, full time job, unmarried but been with my partner for 9 years.
My MIL was very much like this with Mr. X and her other children. It is very hard to break the cord especially when its the parent that refuses. You have to set boundaries and speak to them as an adult not as their child on certain things. I am not saying be disrespectful and not be their daughter but when you ask them something or you say that you are going somewhere, don't make it sound as though you need their validation or permission.

As for his dreams, you need to be frank with him and tell him that "You aren't going to die and that he is not going to lose you. You will always be his daughter but you are a grown woman and will live your life with or without his permission." Don't tell him everything you do in your life, whether its relationship wise, a trip somewhere outside of the country (unless your going to live abroad again and if its a vacation for two weeks to another country leave it before a few days to tell him), finances and stuff. Sometimes the more information we deluge these type of parents with becomes their worry for nothing. When a problem may seem minuit to us, it becomes their mountain out of a mole hill.

I am not saying you can't confide, just choose wisely the information you tell or if you need to tell dad everything, then wait until after you have done it.

Keep in mind even though your 30, he still views you as his little girl. Sometimes they need a gentle reminder that you did grow up

All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
My mom is anxious about everything. She does still treat me like I'm a kid but she's not as bad as she used to be. She doesn't think I am capable of driving properly and that pi$$es me off. I'm a good driver. She instilled this fear of the Queensway in me(that's a highway we have in Ontario) where you can go up to 100 km/h. I have never driven on it because of this fear she instilled in me. However, she claims its not her fault that I'm scared to drive on it

Old 10-19-2010, 06:52 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
"A gentle reminder" won't work with some parents. My mother was a control freak, not just to me from childhood on, but to everyone. You can talk about "smother love" and concern and all of that, but the fact remains that some people just can't butt out of a relationship. It can be children, neighbors or co-workers, it doesn't matter, they think that they have the obligation to control regardeless of the other persons wishes.

They won't change. I finally got away from my mother's overbearing personality when she had to go into a nursing home. I would tell her to leave me alone, don't call, don't try to run my life, etc, etc, she would just say, "oh, you don't mean that," and just keep right on. In her mind, I never grew up. I was still that little five year old baby.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
OP, be aware and make sure you don't do the same to your children when you have them.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
My mom is anxious about everything. She does still treat me like I'm a kid but she's not as bad as she used to be. She doesn't think I am capable of driving properly and that pi$$es me off. I'm a good driver. She instilled this fear of the Queensway in me(that's a highway we have in Ontario) where you can go up to 100 km/h. I have never driven on it because of this fear she instilled in me. However, she claims its not her fault that I'm scared to drive on it
Try to break free from what she did! Get your husband to go with you and give it that Queensway a try, Lisalan!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Try to break free from what she did! Get your husband to go with you and give it that Queensway a try, Lisalan!

I'm going to try it eventually. Promise.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm going to try it eventually. Promise.
I highly recommend Klonopin. Not for everyday use, but to get you over the hump the first time.

Take it before you go to bed the night before you're going to try the Queensway. You'll be amazed how much less stressed you'll be.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM

76 posts, read 290,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
"A gentle reminder" won't work with some parents. My mother was a control freak, not just to me from childhood on, but to everyone. You can talk about "smother love" and concern and all of that, but the fact remains that some people just can't butt out of a relationship. It can be children, neighbors or co-workers, it doesn't matter, they think that they have the obligation to control regardeless of the other persons wishes.
Yes what is the deal with controlling neighbors and co-workers? What is up with these people?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Well, I don't think your father is "overprotective" as much as he is "crazy". An overprotective parent won't let their kid play on the jungle gym because they might fall and hurt themselves and that's what they will tell their children. A crazy parent won't let their kid play on the jungle gym because they had a dream about them falling and breaking their neck and that's what they will tell their children. See the difference?

You have distance and live somewhere else, so that obviously makes things a bit easier on you. As it is if your father is unwilling to see a psychiatrist and get help then there isn't much you can do for him and the more you let him into your life, the more he will work to force your compliance with his vision.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, I don't think your father is "overprotective" as much as he is "crazy". An overprotective parent won't let their kid play on the jungle gym because they might fall and hurt themselves and that's what they will tell their children. A crazy parent won't let their kid play on the jungle gym because they had a dream about them falling and breaking their neck and that's what they will tell their children. See the difference?
It's even worse than that! The OP's father doesn't have the dreams! He makes them up to scare his daughter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting