Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,314,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
Ok.....well, don't get too upset about it. It might turn out to work.

I hope the school doesn't have a huge problem with your son hitting him back, everyone has a breaking point - this was the 3rd/4th time or so (at least?) wasn't it?

And I hope that the school has more resources they can use with David aswell...

I wasn't mad at my son when he told me he hit David back. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone hit me 3 or 4 times. I'm surprised ti took him this long to hit him back.
I don't expect him to just sit there and be a human punching bag.

Here's the whole story:

As my son and David were waiting in line for the bus David took my son`s hat off and puched him in the head. My son elbowed him back in the face. The teacher saw David hit my son but didn`t see my son hit him back. She put David against the wall and talked to him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,210,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Here's the whole story:

As my son and David were waiting in line for the bus David took my son`s hat off and puched him in the head. My son elbowed him back in the face. The teacher saw David hit my son but didn`t see Eric hit him back. She put David against the wall and talked to him
Usually, the child hitting back is the one that is seen. For the teacher to see David hit your son, Eric first, I would think she would have seen Eric strike back. She must not have immediately put David against the wall to talk to him. Personally, both children should have been talked to.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,314,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Usually, the child hitting back is the one that is seen. For the teacher to see David hit your son, Eric first, I would think she would have seen Eric strike back. She must not have immediately put David against the wall to talk to him. Personally, both children should have been talked to.

I don`t think both children should have been talked to. My son had had enough of the abuse and he was standing up for himself.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:15 PM

208 posts, read 270,032 times
Quote:
I wasn't mad at my son when he told me he hit David back. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone hit me 3 or 4 times. I'm surprised ti took him this long to hit him back.
I don't expect him to just sit there and be a human punching bag.

Here's the whole story:

As my son and David were waiting in line for the bus David took my son`s hat off and puched him in the head. My son elbowed him back in the face. The teacher saw David hit my son but didn`t see my son hit him back. She put David against the wall and talked to him
She talked to him? What kind of hippy school is this?.....ah, Canada.

How'd she miss the hit back? Oh well.

(I hope that David gets the help he needs, and that your son doesn't have to have anything more to do with it)

Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,337,546 times
In most schools in the US, both kids would have been punished - schools don't have the time to figure out who or what started things - there is often a whole lot leading up to blows. Plus it keeps it objective.

That said, I always told both my kids that if someone physically attacks them, to hit right back and I wouldn't have any problem with it even if the school did. OTOH, if I ever heard they threw the first punch they'd be wise to fear my wrath more than anything the school would do. Fortunately, we've managed to get through without any issues at all..

Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,683,298 times
Good for your son for defending himself. People have a right to defend themselves....or they darn well SHOULD have the right!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM

613 posts, read 987,767 times
Quote:
How about the fact that David punched my son in the head on the bus today? I think I have the facts.
No, I don't think you have the facts. And I'm not talking about the game of tag anymore, I'm talking about the supervision at your son's school! WTH! First, the teacher doesn't see the game of tag that transpired before your son was punched the first time.

Then, you said the next day he kicked your son in the stomach, per your son. And now, David punched your son in the head, which the teacher DID see, yet despite the fact that your son hit him back, she didn't see this?

The whole thing is strange!

I would be up at that school, EVERYDAY! I would not be phone conferencing. David should not be allowed within reach of your son, or he should be shadowed constantly during lunch, recess, lineup, etc.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
MY son is the one with the bruise on his face not David
My son says everyone knows David is a bully and HE is the one constantly teasing people. I really think it was an innocent game of tag. However, if it wasn't I guess David got a taste of his own medecine.
A group of kids ganging up on another child is inexusable. It's worse than David hitting kids individually. It's mob mentality. And could be the reason David is hitting kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
But that again begs the question of why, when everyone knows David is a bully, were the kids playing an "innocent game of tag" with him? I realize your son is the one with the bruise on his face, I am not condoning with David did and the school clearly needs to put something in place in ensure something like this doesn't happen again.

However, I don't believe you've gotten all the facts, that's all.
Quote:
I guess this is why others were questioning why the children are playing tag w/ David if he's so mean. I would think they would stay away from him.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices how illogical it is that the children were playing a "nice game of tag" with a child they don't like. It's VERY unlikely those children were being nice to David. I think it's sad that nobody realizes that David might not be the real bully. Sounds like there's a gang of bullies and David might be the one who has had enough.

Quote:
How about the fact that David punched my son in the head on the bus today? I think I have the facts.
Quote:
Here's the whole story:

As my son and David were waiting in line for the bus David took my son`s hat off and puched him in the head. My son elbowed him back in the face. The teacher saw David hit my son but didn`t see my son hit him back.
Quote:
Usually, the child hitting back is the one that is seen. For the teacher to see David hit your son, Eric first, I would think she would have seen Eric strike back.
Quote:
I don`t think both children should have been talked to. My son had had enough of the abuse and he was standing up for himself.
Lisalan, you're missing the point that your son's story isn't logically possible. If the teacher only saw David hit your son, then that means your son hit David first. If the teacher was staring at David when he hit your son, the teacher's eyes would have been on them when your son hit back, and she would have seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If parents knew the things their children said about THEM to teachers.... CPS would be overrun w/ calls on a regular basis from schools.
This is so true! In preschool, the teachers had the students draw pictures of their families for the open house. The teachers asked the children to explain their pictures and the teachers wrote descriptions. You'd be amazed how shocking and/or sad the pictures were. Like "my mother ignores me and talks on the phone all day." "My daddy sleeps on the sofa and my mother sleeps in their bed." "This is a picture of my parents and grandmother stealing a chair in the middle of the night." I could go on and on. As a matter of fact, my child was one of the few who had a happy picture of their families.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-25-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM

32,516 posts, read 36,995,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is so true! In preschool, the teachers had the students draw pictures of their families for the open house. The teachers asked the children to explain their pictures and the teachers wrote descriptions. You'd be amazed how shocking and/or sad the pictures were. Like "my mother ignores me and talks on the phone all day." "My daddy sleeps on the sofa and my mother sleeps in their bed." "This is a picture of my parents and grandmother stealing a chair in the middle of the night." I could go on and on. As a matter of fact, my child was one of the few who had a happy picture of their families.
My first grade teacher had us do this. I was six years old and knew EXACTLY what she was doing. So I drew my mother in a long gown with a ton of jewelry (diamonds, yet) and my dad in a top hat and tails. Later on she asked us what we'd had for breakfast. We were learning the food chart so I told her what I figured she wanted to hear: "We always have a six point breakfast with eggs, bacon, whole wheat toast and a big glass of milk." She was thrilled. At the age of six I didn't see how my parents dressed or what we ate for breakfast was anybody business.

We'd probably had Cheerios with brown sugar for breakfast and my mom usually wore short shorts. She had great legs.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,210,421 times
It's not a matter of believing what we want, it's just using common sense. You're a teacher, don't you see what is missing from your son's explanation about hitting David? Just think for a minute what your son, Eric said. The teacher saw David hit him. He hit David after that. How did the teacher not see that? You son's story doesn't add up.

Not sure you really got all of those PM's of concern. You've gotten alot of concern here, no need to PM you. If it makes you feel better that you have all these other people on your side, so be it. You're making some of us out as the bad guy when we're only trying to point some things out to you they may not be accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting