Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I know. I'll get to the bottom of it at the parent-teacher interviews.
Good for you, lisalan! You are your child's best defender.

Watch: As of tomorrow playing tag will be on the "no-no" list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Isn't not running fast enough the reason for getting tagged?
No. They could have been picking on him by targetting him more than everyone else. They were probably saying things too. It doesn't sound like it was a very nice game of tag. I doubt this kid just lost his mind. I'm not saying that he doesn't have serious problems. He does. He needs help though. And allowing other children to bully him in non-violent ways isn't going to help him at all. He needs intervention, therapy---the school social worker or education psychologist needs to be called to evaluate him.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That might not be a bad idea for a while, especially if the school can't provide proper supervision on the playground.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:

That bothers me, a lot! A similar incident happened with the swings at my kids' school..a little girl chose to jump off the swing while she was swinging high, and she broke her arm. All of the kids at the school weren't allowed on the swings for the next few days, just 'cause of one girl's poor decision making.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That might not be a bad idea for a while, especially if the school can't provide proper supervision on the playground.

I'm jumping in here without having read all this thread.

Schools usually don't provide any real supervision on the playground. The teachers seem to think its their break, and stand around chatting. why is it called "playground duty"? My ds was regularly bullied on the playground while the teachers just ignored it while engaging in their chit chats. Finally it got so bad I came over and spent the break with him, just sat there reading my book on the playground. Funny, no one bothered him then.

Teachers get a lunch, planning time, and scheduled breaks. Why do they consider playground duty to be a deserved break, too? bullying goes on right under their noses, and they ignore it, because to acknowledge it its to take some sort of responsibility for it. Like I said in another post, teachers are afraid of the bully, they know that's where the power base really lays. They let the bully control their class for them!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:35 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:

I don't think tag should be on the no-no list. I think the kids parents need to have a talk to him about controlling his rage. This kid has been in trouble numerous times. He has a problem with hitting. He deals with conflict by resorting to violence. It's a pattern with him.
His mom would tell me about him getting into trouble. You would think she wouldn't want to advertise it.
I know that cops and robbers is on the no-no list. Anyone playing it gets sent directly to the office.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-19-2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-19-2010, 03:36 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'm jumping in here without having read all this thread.

Schools usually don't provide any real supervision on the playground. The teachers seem to think its their break, and stand around chatting. why is it called "playground duty"? My ds was regularly bullied on the playground while the teachers just ignored it while engaging in their chit chats. Finally it got so bad I came over and spent the break with him, just sat there reading my book on the playground. Funny, no one bothered him then.

Teachers get a lunch, planning time, and scheduled breaks. Why do they consider playground duty to be a deserved break, too? bullying goes on right under their noses, and they ignore it, because to acknowledge it its to take some sort of responsibility for it. Like I said in another post, teachers are afraid of the bully, they know that's where the power base really lays. They let the bully control their class for them!
You make some good points here.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
That bothers me, a lot! A similar incident happened with the swings at my kids' school..a little girl chose to jump off the swing while she was swinging high, and she broke her arm. All of the kids at the school weren't allowed on the swings for the next few days, just 'cause of one girl's poor decision making.
Right! It's not the game itself. (I should have used this smiley?)

Old 10-19-2010, 03:40 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Glad I could be of service.

Interesting that you are so upset about the bullies of the world attacking your child & of course, the school also messed up & of course the other child is the bully & of course the mom of that child bragged about her child being the bully. The pattern never fails. You've had all day to sit at a computer & chat away about it & also another post about a normal conversation about kindergarten starting to early.

Sorry, you could have this "situation" handled from the get go. But, I know you'll list some reason why you've been sitting on a computer all day instead of contacting the school.

Wondering why you didn't go to the school to personally handle the situation, that is all....Oh, & you'll report the post.
I REPORTED THE POST. You are way out of line.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM

208 posts, read 270,995 times
Quote:
More details:

My son has a bruise on his face The boy who hit him also hit another 4 children at recess. The boy in question is constantly in trouble and at the principals office.
This post sort of changes what I was going to say (although I am going to say it anyway). It sounds like the kid has an issue that requires some attention (I wonder if this has been post-baby brother or not...?). Still, this doesn't specifically mean that your child is a target of a bully - I would be looking for more information before making that call.

How old is your son?

But. In response to the anger in your first few posts. And this is more for future reference. What I was going to say, being a father, having been a boy......sometimes boys get physical. Is it appropriate? Not always. Does it solve things in boy-world? Usually.

I have two boys. Neither are violent or bullies, they don't solve everything physically, they don't have short tempers that cause them to act out. But both of them have had times (as did I) when they have been the aggressor, the 'aggressee' (sp??) or trading punches - with either each other, or classmates, or cousins, or with friends.

And these were not big deals. There was no on-going issue. Sometimes amongst boys a whack or two each clears things up nicely. This doesn't mean I wouldn't discipline for that behavior at school or in relation to sports. What it means is that I wouldn't worry a great deal - about my child being a bully, or being a target of a bully - I would of course want the information. (and between brothers/cousins I/we've let a little dust-up go without too much drama)

And from my experiences. And from my boys' experiences: boys can be whacking each other one day and best buddies again the next.

So boy-view - I don't see a single punch amongst kids as bullying. That requires more intent, more interaction, a repeated pattern. Your boy will likely encounter more situations like this (sure, make sure he knows to stick up for himself), you can't place the label of 'bullying' on all of them.

I don't know if this is a father thing or not but, the fact that the message was left without the attempt to make cellphone contact - I would not be particularly bothered as long as I heard something. I see a distinction between information and emergency. If the child is not in need of medical attention, if the child does not need to be picked up - I personally am fine with being informed in accordance with the school's convenience.

I mean, in a situation like this, what difference does a couple of hours make? By this stage you're in information gathering, conversation mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting