Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times

Advertisements

Forget my idea! It didn't come across the way I wanted to say it. I remember my daughter going to a pj birthday party where they all came in their pj's. It was I think from 7-9 p.m. and the invitation said to bring a book to exchange. Instead of the birthday girl getting all the books, everyone went home w/ a new book. Of course, some still brought gifts besides the book. It was a cute idea. They had pizza and ended the night making smores.

When my daughter was in private school, some of the gifts at parties were easily $30 or more. I do remember one invitation (and that's where I got that idea in my earlier post) that mentioned to please keep gifts under $20. I agree w/ the poster who said that was tacky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Parnents are weird when their children are that age. I advise you to anticipate that all parents will attend the party with their children. We were well into the middle of elementary school before some parents were comfortable dropping off. All of our parties were in public places, like a restaurant, bowling alley, roller skating, etc., but I have even seen parents stay with their children at parties held in homes too. So, be glad you're having it at Chucky Cheese. If you were having it a home, you'd have twice the people with all those parents hanging around. We always ordered extra pizza and soft drinks for the parents. I didn't like having them there and not feeding them, but most people don't provide for the parents at children's parties. It was just something I thought was important personally.
I agree that most will probably just attend and we did plan extra food and drinks for the adults. We figured we would offer it even if most don't take advantage, there are some that might and we wanted to convey that it was OK.

I think most of my apprehension from this comes from it being the FIRST party like this that we have planned and we want to do it right and most importantly for my son to have the party that he wants to have.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think most of my apprehension from this comes from it being the FIRST party like this that we have planned and we want to do it right and most importantly for my son to have the party that he wants to have.
It's going to be okay. It will be a great party. I promise!

If you were a woman, I'd say take a bubble bath, light a few candles and relax.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:29 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
I never had a birthday party...Tried to..noone ever showed up...Blah. Screw it I hope your kid has a good time!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Don't mention the gift on the invitation and don't worry about spending too much. Lots of people think ahead. I usually had a stash of age-appropriate gifts in the closet that I picked up on sale, or *gasp* that I regifted because they were duplicates of something my daughter already had.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I never had a birthday party...Tried to..noone ever showed up...Blah. Screw it I hope your kid has a good time!
We were having a bday party at Chuckie Cheese for one of my kids and the table next to us had a family where no one showed up for this poor kids party. It was heartbreaking to see.

We have a huge extended family and we always have a "family" party on the actual birthday and then the "friend" party at a later date. We have always donated the gifts from the "friends" party. We state on the invitation which charity we are donating to. We usually state "in lieu of gifts we are accepting donations for the xyz charity"....the generosity we have seen has been astounding. My children love doing it...matter of fact, it was one of them that came up with the idea and started the tradition.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
We were having a bday party at Chuckie Cheese for one of my kids and the table next to us had a family where no one showed up for this poor kids party. It was heartbreaking to see.
I think this happens when parents don't invite enough children.

The rule is to invite three times more than you want to attend because you should anticipate that only 1/3 will accept the invitation and 2/3 will decline.

That's how I ended up with 30 children at one birthday party. For some freaky reason, they all accepted that year!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think this happens when parents don't invite enough children.

The rule is to invite three times more than you want to attend because you should anticipate that only 1/3 will accept the invitation and 2/3 will decline.

That's how I ended up with 30 children at one birthday party. For some freaky reason, they all accepted that year!
Maybe...I don't really know...but they had the entire row of tables reserved for their party.

I have never heard that about the 3x invites....

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe...I don't really know...but they had the entire row of tables reserved for their party.
That's extremely odd. They either didn't do RSVPs, or they wrote the wrong date on the invitations.

Quote:
I have never heard that about the 3x invites....
That's the standard rule for children's parties: anticipate 1/3 will accept and mail out X number of invitations accordingly.

Quote:
I have found the following to hold true based on my parties and those of family and friends, 1/3 to 2/3 of all children invited can attend. So, do invite more than you want to be present or your child may have a lonely party.

http://www.childrensbirthdaypartypla...nviting_guests

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Stop mentioning that your childs birthday is near a holiday. His birthday is no less important than an August birthday child.

<------still bitter about my Christmas Birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting