Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 11:40 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Well, we have dozens of kids (both teens and little ones) coming to our house and I only spend 10-15 dollars per year..

HA last year i spent about 100 dollars on candy....its an endless wave from 3 till 8 here....so i think thats enough really. The teens have other options to get candy such as the mall they can let the little ones have their day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, I don't. Clue me in.......

about 100 dollars...and no i didn't have any left.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
They are children. Why would you begrudge them a few pieces of candy? Are you seriously that cheap? What would you rather they do, drink beer at the beach and drive home drunk?

Well first off you don't know my financial situation so i think thats a bit rude calling me cheap over it no? I spent about 100 dollars each year for candy....so i should spend more just to placate people too old to go? There are plenty of options for teens to get candy and have fun....the park has a scary trail and they give out candy, the schools have dances...also with you guessed it candy, they also give out candy at the mall. Many of these teens have younger sibs who i'm sure share some of that candy with them.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
Quote:
They are children. Why would you begrudge them a few pieces of candy? Are you seriously that cheap? What would you rather they do, drink beer at the beach and drive home drunk?
WOW, your comments are amazing. Like she said, you have no idea what her financial situation is. There are a lot of people who don't like teens going trick or treating. They have so many other avenues, such as parties, haunted houses, etc............. It's really none of your business why she doesn't want to hand candy out. Whatever her reason is, it's her business.

ETA: My birthday is on Halloween, and I always have to stay home and hand out candy because I'm afraid our house will get vandalized by the older kids. So, I never get to even go out for dinner and a movie on my birthday. This year, they are trick or treating on the 30th though, so I'll finally get to go out!

Last edited by Jess5; 10-23-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 12:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
I am surprised that so many think teens shouldn't trick or treat. It makes me sad that people don't see high school kids as kids. Maybe the reason high school kids try to do so many adult things at such a young age is that they are getting the message that they should act more like adults. To me, teens are still kids and as long as they dress up and have good manners I don't begrudge them a few pieces of candy.
I agree with you! Why shouldn't teenagers do something as wholesome as going trick or treating?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:20 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Good point!!!!!!!

My nephew is just 9 years old and is as tall as a 13 year old. Are we going to start asking for IDs before we hand out the snickers? LMAO
Thanks for the laugh. I can just picture it now:

Johnny: "Trick or treat"
owner of house: "Wow Johnny you sure are tall? How old are you?"
Johhny: "I'm 10"
Owner: "I highly doubt that. You must be 5"7. Can I see some ID please?"
Johnny:
Owner: "I need to see some ID before I hand over any of my snickers"
Johhny:

Old 10-23-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hey, watch it, Jr. I've never done it before, so I just might start this year.

Although I'll probably take my 3 year old with me, as a front.

You're addicted. Get help

Old 10-23-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Yes i don't give candy out to teens when they come by, and inform them why.

That's just ridiculous and rather "grinch-like" don't you think?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I never thought twice when teens came to the door. They are usually the most polite! I agree with whoever brought up the fact that parents who bring BABIES to the door are the ones eating the candy! So if you only want to give candy to kids - then turn away the adults with babies!
Buy a 12-pack of colorful pacifiers or baby rattles. That way, you know the baby will have the fun.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
After Elementary, Junior High, time to grow up...they have a program at our church for older kids to dress up, have a party, and dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting