Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times

Advertisements

SadDad, sounds like you made progress. Good! Keep at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:07 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,250 times
Corporal punishment
yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:11 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Corporal punishment
yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Good grief - you really don't get it do you?

SadDad's daughter has mental health issues, she is not a "problem child" or one in need of your version of tough love.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,804 times
I have not read all 17 pages, but I feel bad for Dad. He obviously wants what is best for his daughter. He is concerned about how what she is doing NOW is going to effect her FUTURE.

Dad, keep sticking by your daughter. Keep talking. Keep going with the counciling. Your daughter will see that you CARE and you are not going ANYWHERE no matter what!!

I'm not sure if this was covered already, but can she go to a junior college while living at home for a year? This may be a good idea with all that is going on in her life right now.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM

345 posts, read 473,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I have not read all 17 pages, but I feel bad for Dad. He obviously wants what is best for his daughter. He is concerned about how what she is doing NOW is going to effect her FUTURE.

Dad, keep sticking by your daughter. Keep talking. Keep going with the counciling. Your daughter will see that you CARE and you are not going ANYWHERE no matter what!!

I'm not sure if this was covered already, but can she go to a junior college while living at home for a year? This may be a good idea with all that is going on in her life right now.
Thanks, we've discussed CC until she is ready. She is on board with it. But, she's still going to apply to the 4-year colleges. If she is ready then she goes, if not then CC. Kind of keeping her options open and a goal.

I have a friend that's 22 (we ARE not involved). My daughter knows and likes her and is OK with her being kind of her big sister for general girl related issues (like hair braiding and make-up).

The reason for her weight issue was resolved, but she gave up in general after the last conversation with mom, which was after my dad passed. GP and my daughter were close (my parents live with me).

She did very well after the prior incident after she stopped talking to her mother. Then my dad died and she was generally coping considering their closeness and her age. But after she spoke with her mother is when it hit the fan. So, she's cutting off communication again.

She will continue therapy. If the therapist thinks group is a good idea then she will go. I told her to ask the therapist for help with friend skills as well. She does have a lot of contacts in school, but has few friends. She can't seem to get over the hump. Perhaps he can help. I think she's awkward and her mother's issues have generated issues with bonds. She seems to have healthy BF relationships and friends that are boys. She has problems maintaining girl friends.

All in all, it could be a lot worse so I am thankful. I just want for her to have a happy life.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,078 times
Have you done your research on PCOS? Is your daughter seeing an endocronologist? She should be, pcos can affect the thyroid and if your daughter has a thyroid problem it could explain her anxiety, inability to lose weight, depression, not willing to work hard, difficulty getting along with girls.

My sister has PCOS, so if you havent I would see an endocronologist.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,804 times
I'm glad that your daughter has a girl she can talk to. It has to be very hard having a mother like hers. Hopefully the therapist and this older girl friend can help her deal with the situation, feel more comfortable in her own skin and work on her self esteem and self worth! The teenage years are so hard for girls in general, even with a healthy Mom there to guide you. Girls can be very mean and critical, so I can see why she may keep some girls at a safe distance. Her relationships will get better as her self esteem increases.

I'm glad you are working together with your daughter on the college issues. It's wonderful that she has set goals for herself. Now she just needs to be consistant with working towards them. A year in community college could be really good for her!! Then go on to the State school when she is really ready.

Keep up the good work, Dad. Your daughter really needs you, even if she doesn't act like it sometimes.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM

345 posts, read 473,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Have you done your research on PCOS? Is your daughter seeing an endocronologist? She should be, pcos can affect the thyroid and if your daughter has a thyroid problem it could explain her anxiety, inability to lose weight, depression, not willing to work hard, difficulty getting along with girls.

My sister has PCOS, so if you havent I would see an endocronologist.

I've been taking her to an OB who specializes in PCOS. She advised it wasn't necessary. But I will make an appointment. Thanks,

Old 11-18-2010, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 896 times
LOL. Skimmed through the thread, any updates?

Based off the initial post: she's manipulating, she's smart, finds school easy, doesn't care about grades, likes food, fights with parents &/ authority, self esteem issues, 3 therapists.

Hmn, The therapist probably don't or won't mention this, but tell your kid to grow the **** up and Google "intellectual giftedness". We wanna know what she thinks about us. Because that **** sounds familiar.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,437 times
Piqued interest.

Any updates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting