Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 AM

26,685 posts, read 41,572,871 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBBffc0Rtc8

I wonder what your thoughts on this is? Personally, I think this kid is going to get his love of dresses beat out of him all throughout school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 AM

251 posts, read 416,357 times
hopefully the world will be a better place by the time he enters school. People whose values are not the stereotypical conservative view, are on their way out of power and influence, while counter cultures become popular culture. Times are changing.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 AM

26,685 posts, read 41,572,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
hopefully the world will be a better place by the time he enters school. People whose values are not the stereotypical conservative view, are on their way out of power and influence, while counter cultures become popular culture. Times are changing.
This has nothing to do with conversative/liberal views. This is basic gender roles. This kid is 5 years old he is still finding out who he is. I think it's a bad idea for the parents to encourage this. If he wants to wear dresses at age 16 or 18 okay but not 5.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,191,148 times
I find the older people are, the more judgmental they are. Furthermore, it's not gender roles that dictate that boys shouldn't wear dresses. It's societal and cultural.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 AM

251 posts, read 416,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This has nothing to do with conversative/liberal views. This is basic gender roles. This kid is 5 years old he is still finding out who he is. I think it's a bad idea for the parents to encourage this. If he wants to wear dresses at age 16 or 18 okay but not 5.
And this unnerves you why? Not your child, not even your country or culture. At 5 years old, this kid is in the bliss of not having to live up to what you think is right or appropriate, best time of a kids life.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,846,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlowkey View Post
Thank the gods!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,366,590 times
I think this woman, is a great Mom. Her child is going to grow up being himself,and liking himself.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,786,422 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I agree. I was watching "60 minutes" years ago. It was a family with twin boys. The mom said, one was gay. I believe the boys were 7-8. The boy had a pink canopy bed with matching pink accessories. The mom would polish the boys nails. He had several dolls to play with.

Children are too young to know what they are. If your child says, he's frankenstein than what.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,581,550 times
I think that some parents put unfair pressure on their kids because they wanted a daughter instead of a son, or vice versa, and the children can end up confused. I watched the video, and I don't believe this is the case with Dyson. His parents, brother, teacher and psychologist all seem to be supportive of this boy being himself, and dressing up as a princess seems to be who he is. It might be a phase. I believe that kids can be born gay, but dressing like a girl doesn't mean this boy is gay. He just likes pretty things. Nobody is forcing him to do this or making these choices for him; he is just exploring what he likes, and it's nice that a boy is allowed to do that. Tomboys aren't looked down on, and they can play sports and wear pants and get dirty and nobody bats an eye, but boys have to be boys boys BOYS. This is not willful feminization of a boy. The other boys at school are not going to go home and say, "Hey, I want to wear a sparkly red dress too."

My daughter is disabled. When I was in elementary school, the "retards" were teased and shunned by lots of kids. My daughter's school is the opposite, and the kids there are so welcoming and kind to her. I've noticed a boy there who is, to be blunt, very flamboyant. Swishy, wears pink, the stereotypical voice, all that. Nobody cares. It's not really weird anymore. And that is a good thing. I'll take a school where a kid can wear a dress for Halloween over one where a bunch of punks beat him up after school any day.

Last edited by JustJulia; 10-27-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,738,649 times
I can't see the video (at work) but I get the jist of it from the other posts and I applaud the mother for letting her son be who he is. Being homosexual or transgender is a VERY VERY difficult thing to deal with and children who feel this way will no doubt go through some very trying times and likely be teased for being different but at the very least these children should have their parents, the people who are supposed to love them UNCONDITIONALLY for who they are, allow them to be who they want. At least this child will feel comfortable in his own skin at home if no where else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting