Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times

Advertisements

distain of helicopter parents?

in my experience, helicopter parents are so focussed on watching their target (their kid) that they are pretty much oblivious to others. Their wacky over parenting makes for an interesting topic of observation for me but I can't say I have had a helicopter parent criticise my parenting. Unless I was to somehow get in the way of their little darling on their path to success.

On the other hand, free range parents seem to do two things. Firstly, they are often the ones who will try to suggest that I should parent their way. and the second is that they seem to equate free range with no boundaries and let their kids run wild. Heaven forbid that the free range parent who finds out that I spank my kids or reqiire my girls to only wear dresses and skirts. So when my children sit quietly and obediently in the library reading a book, the free range child treats the place like a Macdonalds play ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think with preschoolers, getting a trophy for participation is fine, but at older ages, not so much.
Why? Why on earth should we be giving trophies to preschoolers for participation? I honestly would like to know.

Trophys once equaled accomplishment. Excellence. Now they mean: Good job! You showed up! SMH

Old 10-29-2010, 02:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why? Why on earth should we be giving trophies to preschoolers for participation? I honestly would like to know.

Trophys once equaled accomplishment. Excellence. Now they mean: Good job! You showed up! SMH
They still do. But young children should be learning the game, the rules and sportsmanship instead of kicking the other team's ass.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Interestingly, my son and I have been "purging" his closet and room lately...I cannot begin to tell you how many trophies got pitched. There are a handful that he wanted to keep (just not in his room LOL) - the ones that he actually EARNED...Over the years he's been on teams that meant something to him emotionally even if they didn't win anything. Those teams were commemorated with things like...a baseball signed by the whole team/coaches/personalized team hoodie for football designed by the coaches and presented at the end of the year party/memory book designed by the team moms with a page featuring photos of every player/coach/helper on the team. Those things mean something and will be looked back on fondly someday. A plastic trophy commemorating that he participated in T-ball with a bunch of kids he didn't know in 1st grade not so much.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
distain of helicopter parents?

in my experience, helicopter parents are so focussed on watching their target (their kid) that they are pretty much oblivious to others. Their wacky over parenting makes for an interesting topic of observation for me but I can't say I have had a helicopter parent criticise my parenting. Unless I was to somehow get in the way of their little darling on their path to success.

On the other hand, free range parents seem to do two things. Firstly, they are often the ones who will try to suggest that I should parent their way. and the second is that they seem to equate free range with no boundaries and let their kids run wild. Heaven forbid that the free range parent who finds out that I spank my kids or reqiire my girls to only wear dresses and skirts. So when my children sit quietly and obediently in the library reading a book, the free range child treats the place like a Macdonalds play ground.
Pffft. Trust me, my kids are raised in a free ranged fashion and they are both very well behaved. We have rules and discipline.

My younger son is FINALLY coming around, but he is doing very well.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Interestingly, my son and I have been "purging" his closet and room lately...I cannot begin to tell you how many trophies got pitched. There are a handful that he wanted to keep (just not in his room LOL) - the ones that he actually EARNED...Over the years he's been on teams that meant something to him emotionally even if they didn't win anything. Those teams were commemorated with things like...a baseball signed by the whole team/coaches/personalized team hoodie for football designed by the coaches and presented at the end of the year party/memory book designed by the team moms with a page featuring photos of every player/coach/helper on the team. Those things mean something and will be looked back on fondly someday. A plastic trophy commemorating that he participated in T-ball with a bunch of kids he didn't know in 1st grade not so much.

Meh. Ok. Different strokes and all that.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
They still do. But young children should be learning the game, the rules and sportsmanship instead of kicking the other team's ass.
Agreed...but why a trophy? Why not..."Did you have fun this year playing baseball? Would you like to play again next year?" I think next year you'll move up to coach-pitch - isn't that exciting?!"

Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Agreed...but why a trophy? Why not..."Did you have fun this year playing baseball? Would you like to play again next year?" I think next year you'll move up to coach-pitch - isn't that exciting?!"
Because they accomplished their set goals - learning to work as a team, learning to follow directions and rules of the game, etc.

I don't see the big deal for little ones, seriously.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
If there are ever any more you want to pitch: Special Olympics will take them for refurbishing for their games. (At least they did the last time I purged.)

Old 10-29-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If there are ever any more you want to pitch: Special Olympics will take them for refurbishing for their games. (At leaset they did the last time I purged.)
Great idea! I thought about some of that when I was pitching but I was "in the zone" and out they went!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting