Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarious, infringing on your parental rights? Are you kidding me? No one is saying your kid is not allowed to drink soda, they are saying your kids are not allowed to drink soda AT SCHOOL. Just like no one says you aren't allowed to let your kids curse like truckers they just can't do it AT SCHOOL. You can let little susie can dress like a wh*re if you want but not AT SCHOOL. Your 5 yo can watch R rated movies if you want them to but not AT SCHOOL. You can let your high schooler smoke a pack a day if you feel like it but they can't do it AT SCHOOL. It's called RULES, they are there to protect your children and the children of all the other parents. Drinking soda has no inherent benefits and plenty of detrimental side effects they are not denying your child of something that is in anyway helpful to them and their development. You want to load your kid up on soda go for it, when they are under your supervision if you don't like the rules at your school remove your children and place them somewhere else that is your parental right.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
This thread is hilarious, infringing on your parental rights? Are you kidding me? No one is saying your kid is not allowed to drink soda, they are saying your kids are not allowed to drink soda AT SCHOOL. Just like no one says you aren't allowed to let your kids curse like truckers they just can't do it AT SCHOOL. You can let little susie can dress like a wh*re if you want but not AT SCHOOL. Your 5 yo can watch R rated movies if you want them to but not AT SCHOOL. You can let your high schooler smoke a pack a day if you feel like it but they can't do it AT SCHOOL. It's called RULES, they are there to protect your children and the children of all the other parents. Drinking soda has no inherent benefits and plenty of detrimental side effects they are not denying your child of something that is in anyway helpful to them and their development. You want to load your kid up on soda go for it, when they are under your supervision if you don't like the rules at your school remove your children and place them somewhere else that is your parental right.
hmmm been at school lately?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Excellent post. I would rep you again and again if I could.
I agree! I to owould rep you if I could.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
There are so many IGNORANT posts here regarding peanut allergies.
Please people, get over it. I know of people who lost loved ones from peanut allergies, truly tragic.
So many of you get on here with flippant attitudes because junior can't have a peanut butter sandwich at school. I am sure that it would be fine if junior bathed in peanut butter after school, but at school have some consideration and follow the rules.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
OK...just for kicks I looked up the "nutritional information" on Coke and on another popular and school accepted beverage: Sunny Delight...

Coke - 1 serving size 12 oz
calories: 140
sugar: 38 grams

Sunny Delight - 1 serving size 8 oz
calories:120
sugar 28 grams

other than the smaller serving size, the Sunny-Delight is actually WORSE per oz..than the Coke...and I've seen plenty of older kids who bring 2 Sunny Delights/Capri Suns/Koolaid jammers...which pretty much defeats any benefit of smaller serving sizes....

Cutting out soda is not going to cure the obesity problem. Parents need to understand that just because something has the word "fruit" or "juice" on the package somewhere or the ads show slender athletic children drinking it, or it is the same color as fruit juice does not make it healthy. That along with not being able to purchase unhealthy foods at school, and not cutting out Physical Education will help. Banning soda just makes people who don't send their kids with soda anyway feel better.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
my comments in bold.....where is the line drawn then? It seems to be randomly applied to soda.... If we are only to feed our kids healthy foods at school, each lunch would have to be inspected individually to meet the criteria. That is not the case so how can we single out one product in the spectrum of crappy food people feed their kids?

Hopefullly they just easing into it while this entire country wakes up and realizes that our diets are killing us. Obesity is a huge problem in this country and cr*p like soda and twinkies have no place in a childs lunch box or worse yet a friggin' lunchables (barf).

Today it's soda tomorrow (hopefully) its over processed "food product", sugary drinks and things that have more fat than a stick of butter! Children are in school to learn, that learning should include nutrition and healthy diets. The cafeteria is the hands-on lab for those lessons.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Hopefullly they just easing into it while this entire country wakes up and realizes that our diets are killing us. Obesity is a huge problem in this country and cr*p like soda and twinkies have no place in a childs lunch box or worse yet a friggin' lunchables (barf).

Today it's soda tomorrow (hopefully) its over processed "food product", sugary drinks and things that have more fat than a stick of butter! Children are in school to learn, that learning should include nutrition and healthy diets. The cafeteria is the hands-on lab for those lessons.
The problem is, then you'd have to individually inspect every single kid's lunch to determine if it's healthy. What if little Emily has a healthy lunch, but has a fun sized chocolate bar as a treat in the lunchbox? What do you do then, tell her she can't eat it?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Oh yes, let's have the school dictate the diets of its children. Since they're doing such a great job with their education.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
OK...just for kicks I looked up the "nutritional information" on Coke and on another popular and school accepted beverage: Sunny Delight...

Coke - 1 serving size 12 oz
calories: 140
sugar: 38 grams

Sunny Delight - 1 serving size 8 oz
calories:120
sugar 28 grams
MM: Take another look at it and see if they are still putting OIL in Sunny Delight. Years ago, whe it was first made, they did. I bought one bottle, read the label, and quit buying it.

"They" put all kinds of junk in bottled drinks. (I have been a label reader for many, many moons.)

Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:

What about a homemade oatmeal cookie? Will that be on the "approved" list? A sugar cookie with icing? Wonder if it isn't homemade, but (gasp) storebought? No desserts for you! Tofu and spinach on whole grain, homemade bread, with organic carrot sticks and some mineral enriched water ( no flouride though!)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting