Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:16 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No one is implying that peanut allergies are made up. In fact I think I'm the only one who asked why this particular type of allergy is so prevalent in the 21st century. I'm questioning the immune system of children. It seems like people are raising a lot of very weak, sickly, immune-threatened children, if it's that much of an issue now, when it was unheard of only 30 years ago. People just didn't GET allergies like this back then, and it wasn't that long ago. People got lots of illnesses that have been eradicated thanks to modern medicine and technology.

So why is it then, that the immune systems of today's children are SO screwed up that they could be deathly allergic to peanuts, or latex, or rubber, even air, and I saw a documentary on TV about a girl who was allergic to water...it was horrible, breathtakingly tragic..

But I still wonder what is wrong with the genetic makeup of these kids that they have the allergies in the first place? Instead of eliminating the allergens so Jonny can grow up never exposed to them, and pass down his weakness to his kids, why not study what's CAUSING these allergies in the first place, and treat that? Why are immune systems in kids so insane now?

You can't seriously believe the bolded part. Now lets blame the parents for the allergies Are you an allergist? If not I suggest you please stop making up theories that you cannot prove.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
[/b]

At what point where you given the ability to determine that parents are exaggerating their kid's allergy?

That's right Zimbochick you mention your child has a severe allergy. I would think that you would have more knowledge about allergies.
Would you like it if I questioned the severity of your child's tree nut allergy? I don't think you would. THEN STOP suggesting that parents are exaggerating the allergy. You don't know that.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I totally agree with the idea of having peanut-free lunch areas, and no peanuts out in the open in the classrooms. I think it's a perfectly reasonable expectation. I do not think it's a reasonable expectation to forbid all children from bringing peanuts or products manufactured in buildings that process nuts, into the school environment. There's no way to monitor it unless you have someone checking every child's pockets, every child's lunch bag, every child's fingernails, to ensure that every child entering the building is 100% free of any and all allergen nut products.

If that kid who ate one of those Keebler cheese and peanutbutter cracker thingies on his way to school, were to pat an allergic kid on the shoulder in the hallway, you -know- darned well there'd be a lawsuit and the school would have to deal with a court case over it.

These laws don't exist to protect children from anything. They exist to protect the schools from lawsuits.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
No one is implying that peanut allergies are made up. What people ARE saying is that while yes, we should take precautions to assure kids with peanut allergies don't have reactions, some of the precautions that are being taken are simply ridiculous.

As a parent, the best thing you can do for your child who has peanut allergies (or any allergies for that matter) is to teach them how to deal with it. Being there every second of the day to say "no-no honey, can't eat that" might help for the time being, but in the long run, they're going to need to know (without an adult being present) what foods they can and cannot eat. And banning peanut/peanut butter from schools, cafeterias, etc. isn't going to help in the either, because once they become adults, there aren't peanut bans at the workplace.
Agree! I have a son, 5, who is allergic to peanuts, milk and eggs. We have known of his allergies since age 1 when he was tested and we are current patients at Allergy Associates, Inc in La Crosse, WI. Our son is given drops 3 times a day to hopefully build up his tolerance to the food allergens. We visit our doctor in Wisconsin twice a year and at the last visit in early October we learned of a new test that will tell how many anti-allergens he has built up in his body in the 3 1/2 yrs of doing these drops. Right now the tests using blood work can tell us the amount of allergens (igE) but not the the amount of anit-allergens if you will. Dont know how else to explain it.

Our son in now in Kindergarten and has been in a daycare-preschool since very young age. They key is education. As parents, we are very educated to what his specific issues are, as each child with food allergies are so different. Our son has touched cow's milk and has gotten swollen tongue, eyes shut and rashes/spots on his face/neck and stomach. They do go away quickly with benadryl. For peanut's our doctor believes he would have to ingest a peanut to see a reaction. Peanut reactions are typically most severe of them all and thus require an epi-pen to be carried at all times. Our son has known from day one to ask what is in a food he doesnt know about. At home, he asks me if he wants to drink from a cup I used if I ate any milk, eggs or peanuts. So education on the type and severity of allergies your kid has is a must.

At our school district, he is the only one with food allergies in K-2, which is in one school. Grade 3-5 is in another school. Our school is a peanut safe school in that there is a table for which he always sits and there is a teachers's aide watching to be sure the kids who sit there dont have peanut butter or PB snacks just at his table. All his friends want to sit at the table, so he is not alone. The school principal held a meeting of all teaches K-5 in the district to inform them about our son and allergies in general. We are able to talk about our issues freely and inform them of his condition. We have meetings with his teacher, the school nurse, the district food coordinator, and school cook to go over foods he can eat. Right now he brings his food everyday to school, but we are working with the school so that on somedays he can eat at hot meal there. We got a list of all ingredients that the school uses in its food. His milk and egg allergies make it more difficult than if it was just peanuts.

After lunch, all kids wash their hands. No peanut snacks are allowed in the classroom. Our son, 5, is responsible for his epi-pen when he leaves the classroom, as a way to empower him. He does great but it is because of the education we have had to undertake on our own.

I dont belive in banning peanuts at school as many kids do like PBJ. Afterall as it has been stated, our son will live in an environment where peanuts (and his other allergies) are present. He has to learn to deal with them...so far he has.

my two cents worth on this issue....

Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 10-28-2010 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: fix typo's

Old 10-28-2010, 07:27 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Agree! I have a son, 5, who is allergic to peanuts, milk and eggs. We have known of his allergies since age 1 when he was tested and we are current patients at Allergy Associates, Inc in La Crosse, WI. Our son is given drops 3 times a day to hopefully build up his tolerance to the food allergens. We visit our doctor in Wisconsin twice a year and at the last visit in early October we learned of a new test that will tell how many anti-allergens he has built up in his body in the 3 1/2 yrs of doing these drops. Right now the tests using blood work can tell us the amount of allergens (igE) but not the the amount of anit-allergens if you will. Dont know how else to explain it.

Our son in now in Kindergarten and was has been in a daycare-preschool since very young age. They key is education. As parents, we are very educated to what his specific issues are, as each child with food allergies are so different. Our son has touched cow's milk and has gotten swollen tongue, eyes shut and rashes/spots on his face/neck and stomach. They do go away quickly with benadryl. For peanut's our doctor believes he would have to ingest a peanut to see a reaction. Peanut reactions are typically most severe of them all and thus require an epi-pen to be carried at all times. Our son as known from day one to ask what is in a food he doesnt know about. At home, he asks me if he wants to drink from a cup I used if I ate any milk, eggs or peanuts. So education on the type and severity of allergies your kid has is a must.

At our school district, he is the only one with food allergies in K-2, which is in one school. Grade 3-5 is in another school. Our school is a peanut safe school in that there is a table for which he always sits and there is a teachers's aide watching to be sure the kids who sit there dont have peanut butter or PB snacks just at his table. All his friends want to sit at the table, so he is not alone. The school principle held a meeting of all teaches K-5 in the district to inform them about our son and allergies in general. We are able to talk about our issues freely and inform them of his condition. We have meetings with his teacher, the school nurse, the district food coordinator, and school cook to go over foods he can eat. Right now he brings his food everyday to school, but we are working with the school so that on somedays he can eat at hot meal there. We got a list of all ingredients that the school uses in its food. His milk and egg allergies make it more difficult than if it was just peanuts.

After lunch, all kids wash their hands. No peanut snacks are allowed in the classroom. Our son, 5, is not responsible for his epi-pen when he leaves the classroom, as a way to empower him. He does great but it is because of the education we have had to undertake on our own.

I dont belive in banning peanuts at school as many kids do like PBJ. Afterall as it has been stated, our son will live in an environment where peanuts (and his other allergies) are present. He has to learn to deal with them...so far he has.

Dan
Excellent post. Sounds like you are handling things just perfectly and your expectations are fair not only for your child but the other kids at school as well.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:27 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
I don't remember suggesting that kids not bring anything with PB in it to school. Most schools keep it out of classrooms and have separate lunch tables.
Adults are capable of taking care of themselves, unfortunately kids are not able to stay calm, cool and collected in the throws of any anaphalactic reaction.

Quote:
I totally agree with the idea of having peanut-free lunch areas, and no peanuts out in the open in the classrooms. I think it's a perfectly reasonable expectation. I do not think it's a reasonable expectation to forbid all children from bringing peanuts or products manufactured in buildings that process nuts, into the school environment. There's no way to monitor it unless you have someone checking every child's pockets, every child's lunch bag, every child's fingernails, to ensure that every child entering the building is 100% free of any and all allergen nut products.

If that kid who ate one of those Keebler cheese and peanutbutter cracker thingies on his way to school, were to pat an allergic kid on the shoulder in the hallway, you -know- darned well there'd be a lawsuit and the school would have to deal with a court case over it.

These laws don't exist to protect children from anything. They exist to protect the schools from lawsuits.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
This thread should be locked with DaninEGF's as the last post. His/Hers is the voice of reason, responsible parenting, responsible allergy-control, teaching a child self-preservation and responsibility, and positive communication with the school systems.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post

Our son in now in Kindergarten and has been in a daycare-preschool since very young age. They key is education. As parents, we are very educated to what his specific issues are, as each child with food allergies are so different. Our son has touched cow's milk and has gotten swollen tongue, eyes shut and rashes/spots on his face/neck and stomach. They do go away quickly with benadryl. For peanut's our doctor believes he would have to ingest a peanut to see a reaction. Peanut reactions are typically most severe of them all and thus require an epi-pen to be carried at all times. Our son has known from day one to ask what is in a food he doesnt know about. At home, he asks me if he wants to drink from a cup I used if I ate any milk, eggs or peanuts. So education on the type and severity of allergies your kid has is a must.

At our school district, he is the only one with food allergies in K-2, which is in one school. Grade 3-5 is in another school. Our school is a peanut safe school in that there is a table for which he always sits and there is a teachers's aide watching to be sure the kids who sit there dont have peanut butter or PB snacks just at his table. All his friends want to sit at the table, so he is not alone. The school principal held a meeting of all teaches K-5 in the district to inform them about our son and allergies in general. We are able to talk about our issues freely and inform them of his condition. We have meetings with his teacher, the school nurse, the district food coordinator, and school cook to go over foods he can eat. Right now he brings his food everyday to school, but we are working with the school so that on somedays he can eat at hot meal there. We got a list of all ingredients that the school uses in its food. His milk and egg allergies make it more difficult than if it was just peanuts.

After lunch, all kids wash their hands. No peanut snacks are allowed in the classroom. Our son, 5, is responsible for his epi-pen when he leaves the classroom, as a way to empower him. He does great but it is because of the education we have had to undertake on our own.

Dan
THIS. There will never, ever be a peanut free environment, so the only thing you can do for your child (or yourself) is to be educated on how to prevent having an allergic reation.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
Thank you for typing this so clearly. I couldn't agree more.

We can't pack our kids PB&J because they will be excluded from the table if they bring it. Can you believe that!!
Oh the monstrosity.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
This thread should be locked with DaninEGF's as the last post. His/Hers is the voice of reason, responsible parenting, responsible allergy-control, teaching a child self-preservation and responsibility, and positive communication with the school systems.

Are you a moderator? With all due respect why do you get to decide whose post constitutes the voice of reason. Just because you agree with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting