Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 59,988 times

Advertisements

ZIMBLCHICK posted: "This really makes me mad. The percentage of children with "real" risk of reaction via inhalation is miniscule, extremely rare. Most of these kids have severe ingestion allergies, not inhalation, they can touch or inhale nuts all days long with no reaction as long as they don't eat them. It should be adequate for them to sit at a different table if necessary. If they do indeed have an inhalation allergy, then sorry to say, but they should eat in a different room."

See, I'm conflicted about this part... One of the schools I teach at (travel from school to school (3) to teach art) there are only 98 kids, and one of them has a life threatening peanut allergy. If we even have it on our hands and he touches us it could kill him. (We had to have TWO staff meetings about this). In addition, his doctor sent to school a memo/report talking about what food products he could not ingest, but could handle, and what objects were sensitive enough to be INHALED. Bad stuff. Poor kid.

ANyways, would it be fair to make him eat all by himself in a separate room because of this? No. He didn't choose that, God made him the way he is!

We have a strict NO NUTS/ NO PEANUT BUTTER policy at our school. Sucks, but we deal with it because the safety of our kids is always #1!

Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I don't think children should be allowed to drink soda at all, except for special occasions. However, you are the mother, and no one should be telling you what to feed your kids.
This being said, there were "rules" when my kids were in school which I was grateful for, because it stopped an argument at home. Like, "I'd love to let you decide you don't need mittens and a hat at school, but the school won't let you go out for recess without them", etc. So, maybe you can just let the school enforce these rules because you'll be happy about some of them.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
So american to deal with issues by considering court action.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on this? Apparently this year, kids in my district are not allowed to bring sodas from home in their lunches.

I'm irate only b/c I'm quite capable of making sure my kids eat healthy. If I choose for them to eat something not "approved" that's my business and really,for a lot of people, just b/c they eat a "healthy" snack at school doesn't mean they will at home.
The policies set at school are for the greater good of students...it is not about your child.

For pete sakes, if you want to give them a soda, go right ahead for their after school snack. How hard is it to accept that school says no to certain things? If you can't respect the rules, how do you expect your kids to?

Jeez, and people on this forum wonder why kids feel so entitled these days...

Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
At my daughter's school the kids with peanut allergies sit at their own table in the lunch room. I think that's reasonable. You also can't take peanut products into the classrooms for snacks or parties. I think that's reasonable too. The kids are in closer proximity and there's more of an opportunity for cross-contamination.
That's how my school does it as well and it works fine.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
The policies set at school are for the greater good of students...it is not about your child.

For pete sakes, if you want to give them a soda, go right ahead for their after school snack. How hard is it to accept that school says no to certain things? If you can't respect the rules, how do you expect your kids to?

Jeez, and people on this forum wonder why kids feel so entitled these days...
I got the impression that Nicole was unaware of the policy when she sent the soda with her kids. I don't think she purposefully set out to break the rules. Finding out the rules later then caused her to wonder at the rule itself and posted here asking opinions on the rule. That's how I saw it anyway. I do agree that the rules need to be followed but I disagree with the implementation of the rule to begin with.

ETA I wonder how many of those who are horrified about the soda are sending their kids to school with Lunchables? Some processed meat, a couple of pieces of processed "cheese food product" a couple of Ritz type crackers, a little bag of M&Ms and a Capri Sun...yeah that's MUCH better than a turkey sandwich on whole wheat, some pretzels and a Dr. Pepper. And that is where it gets dicey IMO.

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-28-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyfartsymom View Post
ZIMBLCHICK posted: "This really makes me mad. The percentage of children with "real" risk of reaction via inhalation is miniscule, extremely rare. Most of these kids have severe ingestion allergies, not inhalation, they can touch or inhale nuts all days long with no reaction as long as they don't eat them. It should be adequate for them to sit at a different table if necessary. If they do indeed have an inhalation allergy, then sorry to say, but they should eat in a different room."

See, I'm conflicted about this part... One of the schools I teach at (travel from school to school (3) to teach art) there are only 98 kids, and one of them has a life threatening peanut allergy. If we even have it on our hands and he touches us it could kill him. (We had to have TWO staff meetings about this). In addition, his doctor sent to school a memo/report talking about what food products he could not ingest, but could handle, and what objects were sensitive enough to be INHALED. Bad stuff. Poor kid.

ANyways, would it be fair to make him eat all by himself in a separate room because of this? No. He didn't choose that, God made him the way he is!

We have a strict NO NUTS/ NO PEANUT BUTTER policy at our school. Sucks, but we deal with it because the safety of our kids is always #1!
I think having regulations in place in a school of 98 kids is a little different than 1,000. Sounds like he is one of the very unlucky ones, poor kid.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying some parents exaggerate the severity. Cry wolf is a dangerous game.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I think my point of view on this is unique. I think the schools should only be SELLING healthy foods; no Pop Tarts, no soda, no brownies, etc. The school selling these items, is almost an endorsement of this kind of eating. I don't let my kids drink sodas AT ALL (bad for the teeth).

However, I think parents should be able to send with their kids whatever they want. If it causes a behavior issue with Johnny, then deal specifically with Johnny. He is an individual and deserves to be treated as such.

But I worry about the Nanny State Creep. I don't want the schools parenting my kids. That's MY job.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
What happens to all those super sensitive allergic kids when they become adults?

What happen if I have a peanut butter sandwich at work?
They **** off everybody at work and go to HR and fight and fight and fight to make it an allergy free workplace!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
At my daughter's school the kids with peanut allergies sit at their own table in the lunch room. I think that's reasonable. You also can't take peanut products into the classrooms for snacks or parties. I think that's reasonable too. The kids are in closer proximity and there's more of an opportunity for cross-contamination.
All through my daughter's grade school, a letter was sent home IF there was a child w/ a peanut allery so as not to include peanuts in a party snack. Never were children deprived having their own P & B sandwich in their lunch box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting