Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Since when do kids get a snack at school. I never had that growing up. Only in preschool.
My kids have snack, but everyone brings their own. Hilarious to see what constitutes a snack to some people - M&M's, twinkies, donuts.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,535,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Peanut oil is a common staple of many foods.
Actually that has changed recently. Until a few years ago it was a common lubricant on machinery used in food processing plants. Some of the fear was that peanuts were not listed in the ingedient list, but should be, and so the lubricants were changed. Tree nut husks were also commonly used to strain foods, especially baby foods, and were not listed in the ingredient lists.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 9,872,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
My dh is allergic to shellfish & found out when he tried some sort of shellfish when he was in grade school.

Shellfish, in general, are usually not recommended for young children.

And peanut products are far more common.

I love love love lobster but rarely have it. Shellfish is just not the most common food to have and serve in mainstream America and is not heavily used in processing plants. Peanut oil is a common staple of many foods.

Thus, there are probably many children w/ shellfish allergies but they are not introduced to it b/c it is not the most convienent nor common food.
They aren't? I didn't know that. What's the issue with shellfish for young children? My dd will eat any sort of shellfish she can get her hands on, including mussels, which she will scarf down at an amazing rate - and then proceed to raid your plate when she runs out.

Is there some reason she shouldn't be eating them?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
Quote:
Since when do kids get a snack at school. I never had that growing up. Only in preschool.
my son starts school at 9am, lunch at 10:55, and doesn't get out until 4:00. They have an afternoon snack.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
Quote:
I used to iron clothes while on my body. Thank god they put a lable on it to clear things up.

Thought, I must say, in a pinch, I use my hair straightener to iron my skirts after I'm dressed.
Also, none of us ever would have known hot coffee is hot, until those evil coffee providers were required to print a warning on their hot coffee cups.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,494,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
They aren't? I didn't know that. What's the issue with shellfish for young children? My dd will eat any sort of shellfish she can get her hands on, including mussels, which she will scarf down at an amazing rate - and then proceed to raid your plate when she runs out.

Is there some reason she shouldn't be eating them?
I actually just looked this up as since dh is allergic, I had been told to wait awhile to introduce my children to shellfish.

There use to be concerns due to bateria in shellfish that adults can tolerate but not young children. That line of reasoning no longer holds up w/ the AAP as I read & just make sure to check w/ doctor prior to intro of shellfish in general.

I did find this in re: to a previous post about if more adults than children have allergies to shellfish & find it interesting it is an allergy that cannot be outgrown. I know several people whose children have outgrown milk/egg/peanut allergies.

"Although shellfish allergy occurs more often in adults and older children, it can appear at any age and can be caused by foods that had been previously eaten without any problems. Most people who are allergic to one type of shellfish are often allergic to other types of shellfish. Many people with shellfish allergy will not lose the allergy"
Shellfish Allergies

Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 9,872,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also, none of us ever would have known hot coffee is hot, until those evil coffee providers were required to print a warning on their hot coffee cups.
You know that came about because of that unbelievably ridiculous woman who sued McDonald's because she spilled her (hot...um, DUH!!!) coffee in her lap. I believe she actually won her lawsuit.

But I'm glad they print the warning, because now I'll be extra careful not to spill it, whereas prior to that I would just throw my beverages around willy nilly, not caring whether they landed on or about my person hot or cold.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,072,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You know that came about because of that unbelievably ridiculous woman who sued McDonald's because she spilled her (hot...um, DUH!!!) coffee in her lap. I believe she actually won her lawsuit.

But I'm glad they print the warning, because now I'll be extra careful not to spill it, whereas prior to that I would just throw my beverages around willy nilly, not caring whether they landed on or about my person hot or cold.
Yep, that's why Jack in the Box coffee cups say "Hot coffee is hot." I love it. I am not glad they print the warning because if you can't understand that coffee is hot, there is a problem.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yep, that's why Jack in the Box coffee cups say "Hot coffee is hot." I love it. I am not glad they print the warning because if you can't understand that coffee is hot, there is a problem.
Actually I am going to start suing. Sometimes coffee isn't hot. And it says it's hot. False advertising. It should say "Coffee is hot most of the time" Hot is a subjective word and I as the customer must be right 100% of the time. I do not drink coffee but it I should decide one day to drink coffee it better be HOT. But not so hot that it burns my tongue, in that case I will sue because it didn't say coffee is very hot.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,706,245 times
She ended up settling after the trial judge lowered the jury's award from several million down to around 600 thousand. The final amount was never publicized.

Also - just as an FYI: McDonalds' coffee cups already had a warning printed on them, before that idiot woman decided to stick the cup between her legs in a parked car and peel the top -toward- her from the outside, which caused the cup to slide and spill.

The fact that it caused 3rd degree deep tissue damage resulting in the need for skin grafting, was the fault of McDonalds'. The fact that it spilled in the first place, was entirely her fault. The jury felt this should be an 80/20 split of responsiblity, with McD's bearing the 80% burden.

It was absolutely stupid. As for the actual contents of this thread:

The kid had a wrapped peanutbutter cup in his physical possession. He HELD IT IN HIS HAND in order to get it from the give-out bag into his take-home bag. And amazingly - astoundingly - he didn't go into anaphylactic shock. I mean those wrappers ARE assembled around those peanutbutter cups in a factory containing peanuts, and they are -not- air-tight sealed so that no peanut fumes can escape. The kid had it in his possession all the way home from school and didn't even so much as wheeze hard.

So that tells me - he ain't all that severely allergic afterall. And that supports the notion of many posters here, that a lot of the trouble is not caused by severe allergies - it's caused by parents who exaggerate the severity to the point where it causes totally unnecessary panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.