Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM

613 posts, read 991,986 times

Advertisements

My daughter is in middle school and apparently someone wrote on a bathroom wall that they are going to bomb the school on November 2. The principal announced it over the intercom both at the beginning of school and at the end of the day.

They were told they would not be allowed to carry their books in backpacks tomorrow and that there would be police presence, but that it would be a regular school day. Obviously, they are taking it seriously and putting precautions in place.

My daughter is definitely nervous about it. On the one hand I'm thinking of just keep her home, it's only one day, why take the chance, and she won't have to walk around school being scared all day.

OTOH, it's most likely a prank, and who's to say that someone couldn't plant a bomb on Nov 3, or 4th, or 5th, etc?

Just wondering what everyone else would do in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I'd be extremely concerned about any principal who announced over the PA system, to a bunch of middle school kids that there was a bomb threat.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,820 times
I would keep her home.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
I think I would be following up with school administration to see what they are doing. Will they have law enforcement on site for bomb detection prior to classes tomorrow morning? Will the school be on lock-down before, during and after bomb sniffing dogs have gone through the school? Does you child have a bullet resistant backpack or notebook?

Like I said, without more information it is impossible to say. If you give in to your daughter's fears you only re-inforce them. However, you cannot yourself turn a blind-eye to potential threats either. If there is indeed a police presence at the school then the school will likely be safer on the day of the "threat" than they days preceeding or following.

I'll echo the previous poster about being concerned about any principal who announces such threats over the loud speaker. In this day and age that doesn't sound like the actions of a responsible school administrator.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:29 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
We have actually had this happen several years ago, my kids stayed home. There was no bomb found but I sure didn't spend my whole day worrying. The school actually excused the absences as mine weren't the only ones to stay home.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
I thought most schools were off tomorrow anyway?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I thought most schools were off tomorrow anyway?
Why?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why?
Our schools are always out on election day.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why?
Many schools are polling places. My son has no school tomorrow.

Oh...and to answer the original question (I was initially shocked that information like that would be communicated to children over the PA system rather than in autodialing messages to the parents from the district outlining exactly what was going on and how it was being handled - along with email messages with the same information) ANYWAY....if my school had knowledge of a bomb threat a day or more in advance they have time to sweep the school and post police. My child would go. I refuse to teach my child to live in fear over what sounded to be a vague threat.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'd be extremely concerned about any principal who announced over the PA system, to a bunch of middle school kids that there was a bomb threat.
Exactly.

What has the school officially told the parents?

Seems if someone was serious about bombing the school on November 2nd, then they hear an announcement that there won't be any backpacks allowed and they needed that backpack to plant their bomb, what's to keep them from just changing it to November 3rd?

The school's in a bad position - they obviously need to take it seriously, but if they cancel school, then the students just figured out a way to get classes canceled.

In my opinion, they should have notified parents through whatever means they have doing that. Here we get automated phone calls and also emails. Seems making announcements to middle schoolers while they are in school is a great way to start kids panicking and talking about it all day, getting more worked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting