Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 AM

208 posts, read 271,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
There is NO problem, just people who think its possible to go 8 full hours and not want to communicate with people you aren't with or should not want to even seek out some form of entertainment to break of the monotony of an 8 hour school day.
I'm not going to assume that my 16 year old follows the cell phone rules at her school 100% of the time. But I also know that on days that either she's forgotten her phone or I've had it.....she didn't fall through the door at the end of the day and crawl to her phone, crying tears of joy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
In our public high school, the rule is - you're not allowed to use a cell phone during the school hours. If you need the phone you can go to the office and use theirs, with a hall pass. Emergency use can occur during study hall or lunch.

Maybe people think it's unfair, or not nice, or maybe they WANNA if they're BORED..but they just have to learn to suck it up. Life isn't fair. Study hall is intended for study, not for texting your pals. Classtime is for learning, not for texting your pals or reading an online bulletin board. Your parents, and everyone who lives in the town in which you reside, are paying taxes for you to learn. They're not paying for you to text your pals. Do that on your own time. When you're in school, you're there on the taxpayer's dime, and you do what the school system tells you to do, or you get out.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
After this weekend, I'm betting he thinks things through a bit more! They aren't perfect but ya gotta love 'em anyway..
He might think things through a bit more....I'm not sure.

The sequel to the mask thing, he's still not happy about missing the Halloween party, he asked me yesterday afternoon if I'd gotten the mask. Not yet, no.

So then he said, "are you getting it tomorrow......urggghhhh like it matters"

Someone get this kid shovel so he can keep digging a hole....

urgggghhhh might not get it today either.

Yeap, love the 13 year olds! At least I know my 16 year old does usually speak just in words these days (usually) rather than a combination of words and noises.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
I know this thread has gotten a bit off track (argument for/against) cell phones...LOL....but again, I just wanted to take the time to say again, Good Job! jb03! Thanks for being one of the parents who take their job seriously.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I know this thread has gotten a bit off track (argument for/against) cell phones...LOL....but again, I just wanted to take the time to say again, Good Job! jb03! Thanks for being one of the parents who take their job seriously.
Well thank you.

Yeah, didn't mean to kick off a cell phone war (cellphones....so annoying, so useful....)

Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Braces. Wires break and poke, pieces fall off. You call into the orthodontist and you take whatever appointment they can give you. Since after school hours are "prime time" in the orthodontist's office, they tend not to "squeeze you in" then...
Your son's school would actually let him leave campus without your being there to take him out? I went to four high schools, and that would have happened at exactly zero of them. You could not call in permission for a student to leave campus early for any reason.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Your son's school would actually let him leave campus without your being there to take him out? I went to four high schools, and that would have happened at exactly zero of them. You could not call in permission for a student to leave campus early for any reason.
My son's high school let's me call in to let me son out. He also can leave campus for lunch.

If a teen is already driving why would a parent have to go up to the school to take them out?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
My son's high school let's me call in to let me son out. He also can leave campus for lunch.

If a teen is already driving why would a parent have to go up to the school to take them out?
Because parental permission is required (for the school this is CYA, but...)

Telephone permission cannot be verified as having really been given by a parent. Teens are good at playing games.

Sounds like your campus is an open one, so it's not a problem *yet.* However, *if* something happens to your child while he is not on campus, I hope you won't sue the school.

Let me tell you the story of one young lady who left my dd's hs campus to go to a doctor's appointment. She had parked her car behind the football field instead of in the parking lot of the school. When she went to her car, a man was lurking about. He had a gun. He put it to her head and had her drive out of town into the city. He raped her and left her in the van. She was fortunate in that she got out of the van. She flagged down a bus and the bus driver stopped his bus and took her to the hospital nearby. She was traumatized for years, but is doing well now that she is in her forties.

This is a rare occurrence, but schools have to attempt to keep kids safe.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:43 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Let me tell you the story of one young lady who left my dd's hs campus to go to a doctor's appointment. She had parked her car behind the football field instead of in the parking lot of the school. When she went to her car, a man was lurking about. He had a gun. He put it to her head and had her drive out of town into the city. He raped her and left her in the van. She was fortunate in that she got out of the van. She flagged down a bus and the bus driver stopped his bus and took her to the hospital nearby. She was traumatized for years, but is doing well now that she is in her forties.
That is a horrible, horrible story, no doubt. But not sure how it relates to the issue. Are you implying that a teenager of driving age who has a car, should not drive to school because something bad could happen in the parking lot? Even if a parent sends in a written note in advance that their teen needs to leave for a doctors appt, you think a parent should still have to pick them up, even if they have a car at the school?

Yes, my son's high school is an open campus. Generally you are required to send a note if they need to be pulled out of class for some reason - but I have at least once had to call because of something - can't remember what now - to get him out early. You leave a message, they call back the number making sure it's what they have on file for a parent, and verify you are the one who called. The students can't leave without signing out - if it's during class. Sure, he could leave for lunch and not go back, but I'd get a call if that happened.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
The sequel to the mask thing, he's still not happy about missing the Halloween party, he asked me yesterday afternoon if I'd gotten the mask. Not yet, no.

So then he said, "are you getting it tomorrow......urggghhhh like it matters"

Someone get this kid shovel so he can keep digging a hole....

urgggghhhh might not get it today either.
Sounds like you are doing JUST FINE with handling this. And him. Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting