Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,915,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I completely agree, it makes me so mad that people are being treated like second class citizens and are not getting the services they NEED.

The Governor of our state keeps trying to steal money away from these people, as if they have not suffered enough. To take money away is the same as saying their quality of life is not important.

That is why I never vote for someone who believes it is OK to reduce money to sick or disabled/special needs AMERICAN CITIZENS.

I am blessed and I know it, and I VOTE it.
While we are blessed and know it, I do not feel that it is the responsibility of the government (aka taxpayers) to take care of EVERYONE.

And you know, just because the government has not taken enough of other people's money to care for the disabled to the degree you feel they should, there is nothing stopping you from sending them your money. If it comes to it, nothing preventing you from getting a second job, to send to those you feel need more each month.

For instance, I have a relative that bemoans the fact that unemployment is SO LITTLE and her daughter is having a hard time surviving on it. I feel that if she truly wanted to help out, she'd quit smoking and send her daughter THAT money every month. In addition, she also drinks Sprite like it's going out of style - about a 24 pack a week. Between those two things, she could send her daughter another $65 a week, rather than insisting the money come out of MY pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,048,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I used to feel that way. Actually, it was more like, "Thank God I don't have a special kid. I couldn't deal with THAT."

Then, last year when I was pregnant, I found out during a routine ultrasound that my third child had a rare brain abnormality. The doctors told me she could be severely cognitively and physically delayed, or she could be minimally affected or even normal.

Although it's not something I would have ever asked for, the experience has been a blessing rather than a curse. I appreciate every little accomplishment --- her first smile, the first time she said dada, the way she can feed herself a Cheerio --- because I can't take anything for granted.

I don't know what the future holds. So far she is meeting or exceeding all of her milestones on time except for rolling over and crawling. I've learned to take it one day at a time and I've accepted the fact that although parenting a special-needs child may be a different and at times difficult experience, it doesn't have to be a bad experience at all.
I wish I could give you a hug. Your attitude makes me want to cry tears of joy that there are Mom's like you. Bless you!

I've sat in a lot of hospital waiting rooms and have had a lot of talks with doctors I wish I'd never met.

But there was always someone who was facing something worse. Or who didn't have the tools to cope with something horrible happening. Or a sound, strong family to support them. And I thank God he gave me the strength to be the Alpha-Daughter and Momma Bear. Since I was about ten years old I've realised that what we have RIGHT NOW is a blessing. Whatever it is. I often stop in the middle of the day and think, "This is happening right now. I am living this." And I just soak it in. Because you never know when it is going to change or be taken away. I try very hard to appreciate EVERYTHING.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,292,796 times
I think every parent with a healthy child should be thankful, but even if your child is "special needs" u should still be thankful. Children are a blessing and they are all special. I am the thankful parent of both. And yeah it is hard...

Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,799,903 times
All Sorts of Things: Why I despise the "Welcome to Holland" poem (http://navywifeandmom-fivestarfamily.blogspot.com/2008/11/why-i-despise-welcome-to-holland-poem.html - broken link)

WELCOME TO BEIRUT by Susan F. Rzucidlo | Facebook (//www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=72783376481&topic=10302 - broken link)

Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,114,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincere1782 View Post
I feel like all children are a blessing and in life everyone is dealt a hand of cards and it is up to you how you are going to play that hand. Just because a family has a child with special needs does not mean they are not "lucky" or "blessed". Nothing in life is a guarantee, misfortunes happen everyday. It takes a special person to raise a child with disabilities and therefore I think God knows what he is doing before he gives a parent that gift, so being equipped for that role although not expected, can still be recieved with the same love, joy and ambitions that any parent would feel for their child and should not be seen as a misfortune or disadvantage.
It is when I see stories on the news of people who started out with every advantage in the world to have a wonderful life but instead choose to kill another human being, rape an innocent child, commit mass murders, burgerlerize, turn to prostitution, alcohol, drugs, defrauding establishments or just become a deviant to society all because they didn't feel loved growing up or whatever reason they felt justified for that behavior, Oh the guilt and hurt those parents must feel that their healthy, normal children became nothing like they expected or idealized them to be, but I'm sure they are still loved and are still thankful for that child. So not to sound harsh but the shoe can always be on the other foot in one way or another. Those individuals had a choice to be who they are, people with disabilities do not. Therefore I would rather raise the latter and for that I thank God for my child and feel so very lucky, proud and blessed everyday.
So you actually know people who have special needs children? Because having worked with them for many years, I can say that I have heard parents admit to having bitten off more than they can chew at moments.
They adore their children, but life is much more challenging for them and they face MUCH larger hurdles than most of us.

When you cannot fly on an airplane because you have a special needs child who has so many emotional or medical issues that they cannot be controlled and may freak out or perhaps create a situation where an air marshall becomes involved, I can say that was no blessing moment there.

Yes, special needs kids can be miraculous and certainly inspirational, and we can all learn something from them- but the work involved is unbelievable. This notion that God gives you what you can handle is nonsense. Many of the children I know and that I have worked with were ADOPTED. So God did not give the children to someone who could handle it. And those children sometimes suffered many years in foster homes before getting adopted.

I feel blessed that I do not have a special needs child *yet* because I don't know if I could handle it full time. Having worked for years with them, I just don't know if I am up for that kind of challenge.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,114,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
For instance, I have a relative that bemoans the fact that unemployment is SO LITTLE and her daughter is having a hard time surviving on it. I feel that if she truly wanted to help out, she'd quit smoking and send her daughter THAT money every month. In addition, she also drinks Sprite like it's going out of style - about a 24 pack a week. Between those two things, she could send her daughter another $65 a week, rather than insisting the money come out of MY pocket.

Wait, are you seriously comparing not wanting to work and taking unemployment (because there ARE jobs out there, just not ones that most people find attractive, lucrative, or good enough for their skill set) to a congenital birth defect, or having autism, cerebral palsy, ms, cystic fibrosis etc...

Not the same thing my friend, not even close.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,909,873 times
I don't really know how to answer this. My younger is having a lot of issues with developmental delay right now. At this point they still can't tell us whether she is "just a late bloomer" and will grow out of it, or if there is an underlying condition that will cause her to continue to have problems. When I see the special ed class now, I wonder whether my kid is going to be in it or not. We just don't know yet. If she is, I will deal with it, because that is what you do. And we are already dealing with it with early intervention. But I think all the time how my life may well end up being different. I often just wish I could know one way or the other already.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:37 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,799,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I don't really know how to answer this. My younger is having a lot of issues with developmental delay right now. At this point they still can't tell us whether she is "just a late bloomer" and will grow out of it, or if there is an underlying condition that will cause her to continue to have problems. When I see the special ed class now, I wonder whether my kid is going to be in it or not. We just don't know yet. If she is, I will deal with it, because that is what you do. And we are already dealing with it with early intervention. But I think all the time how my life may well end up being different. I often just wish I could know one way or the other already.
Wishing for a mom GPS?

MOM - Not Otherwise Specified: You have arrived
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting