Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
You know, this leads me to thinking just how a school should handle something like this? Do they address the whole student body at once? Should the teachers discuss it with their individual classes? Should they not say anything to the kids at all and leave it up to the parents.

This also got me to wondering about how the school handled the WTC situation. My oldest was in high school at the time, and while I wasn't surprised that the kids were told what happened, I was very surprised to find out that they rolled TVs into the classroom for the kids and teachers to watch everything unfold!

Since we live within an hour of Manhattan, naturally many of the kids had parents who worked in the WTC, who naturally became hysterical!

I still don't know how I feel about them doing that. I know I fully expected to have a discussion when my son came home, but he was too distraught after watching everything on TV.
I was a sophmore when that happened. Our classes all had TV's in them, but only one teacher had it on. The other teachers basically had class as usualy. Now, out here school started after both buildings had already fallen, so it was a completely different situation than out there. If a school were that close to Manhattan, I don't feel it should have been shown. However, people panic when the situation is actually happening. Everyone reacts differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The bold is an urban legend. I live in CO and that is just not true.

I don't have kids in school any more. I do remember when they were in school, there were lots of bomb threats, etc. The school district said if they closed school every time one of those came up, school would never be open. I don't know if there even was a bomb threat at Columbine that day.

http://bvsd.org/calendar/Documents/2...Decorative.pdf
I live in colorado as well.
And in the two years I went to high school here and the 4 years my brother has attended middle school and two years high school here we have NEVER had school on 4/20. It was always like a "teacher inservice" day. They specifically had it off because of all that.

And I just checked my old schools calendar for this year and this time its a parent teacher day, school closed for students.

So SOME colorado schools do not have school on 4/20. The ones in my area don't have school that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting